FS: AK-3 Networks

Deang

My personal networks. Over $400 in parts using AudioCap PPT Thetas on the HF boards, and Dayton Audio's in the LF sections. Erse Super 'Q's in the LF, and UT rolled HF and MF inductors. The networks are split just like the stock version, though I did not mount mine inside the bass bin. The autoformers are the UT 3636, and the attenuation level is properly set for the K-55-M. I personally consider the K-55-M/AK-3 to be the best sounding driver/network combination Klipsch ever put in the Klipschorn. Naturally, this opinion comes from what I hear in my room with my music (consider that a disclaimer:). I don't detect much difference in the midrange energy between the K-55-M/AK-3 and the K-55-V/AA, but the former does seem like just a bit less to me. I prefer the sound of the bass with the 2nd order filter over the single 2.54mH inductor used in the older filters. It's definitely smoother, and it's much easier to follow bass lines. Kick drum doesn't have quite the same impact, but it's very close. The biggest detectable difference is in the top, and I give a big thumbs up to the elliptical tweeter filter. The highs are extended with good shimmer on the cymbals, and even with obscene SP levels, there's not the slightest hint of strain. It's very well balanced with the squawker, and provides the best phantom center image of any network I've tried to date save Al's ESN. Compared to my ALKs (which I also just sold), it's a complete and utter toss-up. They certainly don't sound the same, but they both get an A+ rating in my book. I give the ALK the edge in smoothness and articulation, and the AK-3 the nod in presence and dynamics. I like both networks equally well, but for different reasons.

$500 shipped.

I'm getting ready to load up Al's Trachorns, and I'm going to start with alligator clips, dummy resistors, a box of caps -- and four autoformers. I'm going to hack together a constant impedance first order filter with a separate autoformer for the tweeter and squawker -- and then go from there.

I saw those in the other thread Kevin - impressive, and I'm sure they sound great. For now, I have to be satisfied with incremental changes. The primary reason is the cost associated with that kind of jump. When I finally get around to a leap of that nature, it's going to be Pro-Jubilee bass bins and something from my short list of drivers and horns. Right now, I'm happy taking baby steps into this. I personally don't think the K-400/401 is as bad as some say -- mine seem to do real well with the hard driving stuff in my room. Al told me it would be the first time I would hear a piano the way a piano really sounds. I told Al I have no idea what a piano sounds like anyways.9.gif