Need Spkr Ideas for Bedroom

MBM135

I am looking to configure our guest bedroom for 2 channel audio and turn it into an "escape"--just a place to relax,listen to jazz, read etc. Room is about 10 X 12. I have already spent a lot on our LR home theater so am looking to get buy cheap. Don't need audiophile stuff but don't want junk either.

Am leaning towards Klipsch bookshelf speakers on eBay. Plan is to put them on stands. I saw some SB-1/2s on eBay but the guy wants more than the nearest dealer and shipping is high. If I am going to spend $250-350 I may as well buy them new. What about some older Kg1.5s or KSB 1.1s? Do these sound OK? Can I get something decent used for around $200?

Plan to also buy a used rcvr and CD player. I like some of the older NAD/ADCOM stuff from 5-10 yrs ago. Again, this is just for a 2 Ch "get-away" listening room.

Thanks.

I say the SB-2's are great!I just unpacked a pair,the sound is good out of the box.And I had Dynaudio Contour 1.1's on the stands before!This has to say someting.

The SB-1 is not so great,the tweeter is of much lower quality.The SB-2 uses a good quality tweeter and the bass impact will surprise you.

I tried the SB-2 with a Denon 3801 and it sounded bass deprived and a bit harsh.Then I used the Celeste 4070 as the ...lol ...amp and guess what,its another speakers!Now the bass has real punch and the harshness is GONE!Great sounding speaker and very inexpensive.

I say the SB-2's are real bargains!GET THEM,even new they cost peanuts.And sound great!

The SB-2's will serve with the KSW12 and 15 on my computer.Not bad at all.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

FWIW,I'd strongly consider a pair of KG4's. They're very good sounding speakers, their top end is really good and at low volume they still produce a full rich sound. You can usually pick up a pair on ebay between $250-350, they're approx 40lbs. You'd have to consider the ship from location. IMO, the additional expenditure for KG4's would provide you with years of great listening pleasure. Here are specifications:

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 38Hz-20kHz±3dB

SENSITIVITY: 94dB @ 1watt/1meter

POWER HANDLING: 100 watts maximum continuous (500 watts peak)

NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 6 ohms

ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass reflex via passive radiator

DRIVE COMPONENTS: Two-way system using one 1" (2.54cm) phenolic dome

compression driver tweeter with a 90°x40° Exponential horn,

two 8" (20.32cm) front-firing, poly ICG cone woofers and one

12" (30.48cm) rear-firing, fiber-composite cone passive radiator

TWEETER: K-74-K 1" (2.54cm) Phenolic dome compression driver

HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: 90°x40° Exponential Horn

HIGH FREQUENCY CROSSOVER: 1800Hz

WOOFER: Two K-8-K 8" (20.32cm) Poly ICG cone active / KD-12 12" (30.48cm)

Fiber-composite cone passive

DIMENSIONS: 24.25" (61.6cm) x 15.75" (40cm) x 10.75" (27.3cm)

WEIGHT: 40 lbs. (18.2kg)

ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)

FINISHES: Walnut Oil, Oak Oil, Finished Black

YEARS BUILT: 1985 - 1992

MSRP: $618 pair (Black) / $672 pair (Walnut or Oak Oil)

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 09-16-2001 at 08:18 AM

Might I suggest that the KG1.5s you mention are good speakers. However, for a few dollars more you can find a good pair of used KG 2.5 or 2.2 speakers. There is a pair on Ebay right now. These are simply awesome bookshelf speakers for a bedroom. Classy design and classic Klipsch sound. I had a pair of these in college, and they simply rocked.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KLF-C7 (center in storage)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

I agree with the KG 1.2/1.5 series for small yet powerful bookshelf speakers. I have two pair of 1.2s as part of my 7.1-ch HT system and they do great. I do have a pair of 1.5s that are sitting in their box, unused, in great shape. Shoot me an email if you are interested or if the eBay ones get sold.

t-man & jhawk92,

I appreciate your suggestions to for use of KG 1.2's or 1.5's. I'm slowly putting together a 5 speaker setup for my son. I have the KG 4's for fronts and had planned to use a Walnut KG2.2V I recently bought for the center. I'm so impressed with the 2.2V that I plan to keep it! I'm thinking that 1.2's or 1.5's may well serve as good surrounds for him. But it looks like I'll be buying a replacement center thou.

Your suggestions have helped me as well.

Wes

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 09-20-2001 at 08:08 PM