Should I go 7.1?

Mikie

After 4 months (seems like an eternity) our remodel is wrapping up and the 5.1 system is coming together. Our seating is against the rear wall (see attached) and I'm wondering whether it makes sense to add speakers in the rear wall to go 7.1. And, if I go 7.1, which speakers will match the rest of my system?

The current system is: K-Horn fronts, Heresey sides, customer center (K55, K77, & 2 10" woofers), an infinate baffle sub (still building this one), and a Pioneer 56-TXI.

Thanks, Mikie

post-16857-13819267281056_thumb.jpg

The seating against the wall usually precludes 7.1. If you had a Reference syatem, Reference ceiling speakers could match, but with Heritage the sound would not match.

Another possibility would be to move the seating forward 2 to 3 feet and add a second pair of Heresies behind the guest seating.

All in all, you are probably best with 5.1 till you have a dedicated room.

Bill

My room is slightly smaller than yours and I have the setup listed below. I have a high A-Frame ceiling in the main viewing area, with a smaller area behind me with a low ceiling. I am glad that I added the 2 channels for my 7 channel set up (9 actually during movies with my Denon, which allow for 2 side surrounds;-) but I can't say it was a dramatic change for most material (but noticeable).

I have no suggestions what I would use in your situation. My gut reaction would be not to use anything if your seating position is against the rear wall. To me, the only other options are, in ceiling or WDST technology--but I don't have an informed opinion with mixing Heritage and those 2 technologies.

Good luck and congratulations on completion of the major work.1.gif It must sound nice (understatement, I am sure 2.gif )

Well you sound like a DIY type of guy...you could always try building a custom wide dispersion speaker. I personally would try to go with a 6.1 setup with a 180 degree dispersion on the rear center. worst case scenario you could go with two 90 degree horns.

I run a 7.2 system and everything I have can be played back using ALL the speakers! For satellite it is matrixed to 7.1 and I can upramp any 5.1/6.1 DD/DTS signal to 7.1 and it does make a difference! I could not go back to a simple 5.1 system after having a 7.1.

When is the last time you went to a theater and only saw one pair of speakers on the side walls?

As much as I prefer 7.1, I'd reccomend keeping it at 5.1 with your room setup. With Khorns & heresies, i doubt you would find in-wall or in-ceiling speakers that would match well.

Now if you were to move the seating forward to give room for a pair of heresies for rears, or move it into a larger room, then I would say go for it. I find 7.1 to be a considerable improvement over 5.1. Personally I would rather have an excellent 5.1 system than a compromised 7.1 system.

If you are interested in moving the seating forward to accomodate heresy rears, one thing to consider would be the distance from your TV. I don't know what size screen you have, but if it's fairly large you may not prefer to be that much closer.

If you do end up staying with 5.1, I wouldn't worry about it too much. With that speaker & sub setup it should sound awesome either way.

7.1 is worth acheving. I think you should move your sofa off the back wall, just 2 feet or so should do it, then hang two Heresys in your rear wall ceiling corners behind your head Otherwise I like Dr Who's idea a lot. It would not be to hard to build a WD Heritage.

Whom ever posted the why go 7.1 because there is no descrete materal. WTF!!! There are a host of receivers and processors that can create 7.1 out of 5.1. The Lexicon Logic 7 is my personal favorite.

JM

----------------

On 7/16/2005 12:53:43 AM BetaTester wrote:

What media do you have that was encoded in 7.1 format? I think you already have the answer to this question!

----------------

Not talking about Mikie's situation but 6.1 material in general--I have read that 2 speakers recreate a better scenario for rear channel sound than a single speaker in most situations.