Is this too much for my setup?

DelDelacroix

great board, big klipsch fan! Well, I'm starting to upgrade my system into a full blown HT setup. All I need to do is get surrounds, a center, and a subwoofer. I've decided on the SS-1 surrounds and the SC-1 center. Now I'm wondering if my system could handle the KSW-15? I currently have KSF-8.5 mains and a Sony STR-DE945 receiver. I'm pretty new to subwoofers so any help is definitely appreciated.

I'd go with the biggest/baddest subwoofer you can afford. There's really no such thing as *too much* subwoofer for a system as once it's properly calibrated/located...it will just pound when it's supposed to pound. The ksw15 is a very good unit from about 30-35hz and up(based on the independent measurements taken by Tom Nousaine).If you wanted lower extension...the new RSW series from Klipsch should offer that.

TV

ditto,

I have yet to hear of someone scaling back on their sub-woofer purchases, other than simply dialing back the knobs - the extra deep low end is awfully nice for watching movies ... and stirring soup!

------------------

horns, tubes, subs, leather couch & female vocalists

D*mn it!

theres someone younger than me Smile.gif

Hello DelDelacroix.

That 100 watts is plenty.

You wont need any more than that.

You will be happy with your set up.

------------------

Living Room:

Yamaha Natural Sound A-500 Stereo Amplifier

2 Klipsch Heresys on A switch

2 Fisher STV-873 on B switch

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

DelDelacroix -

How you hookup your subwoofer will depend on your receiver. If your receiver has a line level output (normal RCA looking jack) for the subwoofer/LFE channel then you would run a RCA cable to your subwoofer amplifer. If your receiver does not have this type of jack then you would run speaker wire to your subwoofer amplifer. In either case the seperate amplifer in the subwoofer is doing all the work and your Sony will not actually be driving the subwoofer. You would still get 800 watts from the subwoofer even if your receiver was ony 5 watts. Hope that helps.

EDIT - Get the biggest baddest subwoofer you can afford. You can never have too much bass WOOF!!!

Laters,cwm9.gif

------------------

FOR SALE OR TRADE COMPLETE R*3 SYSTEM FOR 3 HERESY'S

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R main)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running sub)

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

This message has been edited by eq_shadimar on 09-16-2001 at 11:38 AM

True,very true.DONT SKIMP ON THE SUB

I may be TheEAR(s) but I do have many subs,even I would say too many.

As a minimum the KSW15 should do just fine in a mid sized room,if you can wait a bit and get a RSW10 or 12 these will give getter bass and lower bass.

Me I use 6 subs in my HT system!Yes SIX subs!And each could fill the room with bass to below 25Hz with ease.

Combined(with care and an external crossover)the effect is awesome.Bass is not boomy or colored,just there when sub 60Hz is in demand.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

And get the center and surrounds that I e-mailed you about.Check the matching chart.At LEAST get the center!

Keith

BTW, have a lead on where you might get a good sub at a

good price.Where do you live down there? Interested?

------------------

KSP-300 FL/R

KSP-C6 CENTER

SW8II C/SUB

KSP-S6 SURR

KSP300 SB

SW12II

SONY KP53XBR35 RP

DENON 3801

DENON DVD3300 DVD-AUDIO

SONY MDP455 LDP

ACURUS 125X5

ACURUS 100X3

MONDIAL M.A.G.I.C. BOX

PANAMAX MAX 1000

PANAMAX COAXMAX (2)

AQ SLATE

AQ COPPERHEAD

AQ SIDEWINDER

AQ VSD

TRIBUTARIES S-VIDEO

MONSTER INT.400MKIII

This message has been edited by talktoKeith on 09-16-2001 at 08:55 PM

thanks everyone, this info has been great! I think I am going to go for the ksw15. the rsw series is a bit too pricey for me. keith, I live in central florida. I understand about the other center and surrounds but they're discontinued and a little more expensive. I'm looking for new stuff but feel free to inform me on any deals you find. Maybe I'll check sound advice.

p.s. theEAR: 6??? I'd like to see that HT setup!

DD, I'll give you the absolute best "deal" I can give you.And it will be free.At the top of this page click "Products",then "Home Audio",then "Classic". You'll find there the Klipsch recommended matching speakers for your discontinued KSF8.5's.The matching speakers are readilly available,even "new",if you'll check E-Bay(the prices just went up).I can tell you from personal experience that the KSF-C5 is a very good center speaker and IMO outperforms the KLF-C7 for center channel use as far as dialog clarity goes.No subwoofer will help you there.Good luck to you.

Keith

One more thing,do the homework before buying a sub.

------------------

KSP-300 FL/R

KSP-C6 CENTER

SW8II C/SUB

KSP-S6 SURR

KSP300 SB

SW12II

SONY KP53XBR35 RP

DENON 3801

DENON DVD3300 DVD-AUDIO

SONY MDP455 LDP

ACURUS 125X5

ACURUS 100X3

MONDIAL M.A.G.I.C. BOX

PANAMAX MAX 1000

PANAMAX COAXMAX (2)

AQ SLATE

AQ COPPERHEAD

AQ SIDEWINDER

AQ VSD

TRIBUTARIES S-VIDEO

MONSTER INT.400MKIII

Well DelD,not really selling anything!I'm like the rest of the looney's here(love the audio) and just hope that you spend your money wisely,the first time. The C-5 is a good speaker and can be had reasonably.I wouldn't be afraid to buy "used" speakers if you know what you want and check out the seller well.The surrounds are not as critical as the center.Maybe someone here that has experience with the SS-1's and KSF-S5's will ring in with an opinion.Maybe others will be able to give advice on other comparable subs that cost just a little more and give much more,such as

SVS or Paradigm.Good luck to you.E-mail on the way!

Keith

Hello over there Cruzer!

Yeah that's right.I've got a brand new C-7 in the box under my bed with 3 other Klipsch centers.As I said earlier the C-5,in HT use,has much better dialog clarity than the C-7.I imagine there are many factors that would affect the sound of the center though,such as which front speakers one used and whether the setting was large or small.I did a lot of research flat

on my back listening to movies and that's the way I see

(hear)it.And of course the C-5 is the Klipsch recommended center for DD's KSF-8.5's.

The C-7 sounds like the Legends and the C-5 sounds like the Synergy's.Great revelation,huh!

Be careful in your travels Cruzer,and may the force be with you.

Keith

------------------

KSP-300 FL/R

KSP-C6 CENTER

SW8II C/SUB

KSP-S6 SURR

KSP300 SB

SW12II

SONY KP53XBR35 RP

DENON 3801

DENON DVD3300 DVD-AUDIO

SONY MDP455 LDP

ACURUS 125X5

ACURUS 100X3

MONDIAL M.A.G.I.C. BOX

PANAMAX MAX 1000

PANAMAX COAXMAX (2)

AQ SLATE

AQ COPPERHEAD

AQ SIDEWINDER

AQ VSD

TRIBUTARIES S-VIDEO

MONSTER INT.400MKIII

I have a question about the firing position of subs. I liked the ksw series because the subs are down-firing and I thought that would diffuse better throughout my room because the sub would be placed up against one wall, in the middle of it, halfway between the the front speaker and it's corresponding surround speaker. If I got a front firing sub would I have to change the position more to facing me to get the full effect of the bass?

The subwoofer should move alot of air,even if the sub does not face you,you will feel the low bass.As the air is compressed in the room.

Even a small Carver Knight Shadow when facing the wall gives a BIG impact.

Any RSW sub should give a great impact.

TheEAR(s) Now theears