Spikes? Which ones to getI

I just took a closer look at the spikes at Parts Express and they look good to me. The prices at some of those other places are out of this world!

As good looking as the "penguin feet" are on my RF7's1.gif I'm thinking about big aftermarket spikes on a couple slabs of Home Depot concrete for $2.00 each.

Since I ruled out spending big dollars on new equipment at this time every little tweak matters to me.

I'm thinking about buying some round copper bar stock, and spinning up some of my own. I can do it on a lathe at work in my spare time. I think copper spikes would look sweet on the Reference series speakers. I'll need 16 of them for the RF-7's though. That will take a little time. I'll post some pics if I ever get around to it.

Jeremy

----------------

On 7/25/2005 2:18:47 PM Speedball wrote:

Send me a message if you want to make some exrtras for my RF7's.

Wouldnt copper darken over time?

----------------

Don't use copper, it will darken and stain the carpet! It also does not sound anywhere near as good as gold (that's where that phrase got started - in Hi End audio lingo). Each gold spike will need to be long enough to penetrate the carpet and carpet pad - about 3 inches is optimal. In order for the upper footing of the gold spikes to support the speaker they need to have a top crosssection of 3 inches. If you will send me a solid 3 inch diameter foot long cylinder of 24K gold I can make four of these spikes for you for a reasonable price. I will also do the pre burn in, too.

Paul3.gif

Copper will oxidize and turn a darker color. Just look at the difference between a newly minted penny and one 20 years old. I don't see how it could stain anything though. I would consider brass; it looks good, cleans easily, and is more resistant to damage than copper.

My wife and I have alot of copper accents around the house. We love the warm color of copper. That increases the WAF for the RF-7's. We have outdoor lights in the yard and on the house made of copper. I made ballasters for the front porch out of rigid copper water pipe. I have used copper sheet for accents on posts, and it will be used in our Home theater wall unit, and bar for accent trim. I have worked with it quite a bit, and found that if you don't want the natural patina to come out you can seal it. All you need to do is polish it to the desired sheen and spray some flat clear lacquer on it. This will slow the natural color change by about 90%. This is what I plan to do with the spikes I make. Mine are on a laminate wood floor, so I'm thinking of using pennies, or making up some kind of "coin" for the spike to seat in. I still think copper is the way to go, appearence wise. I may even make new "penguin feet" out of copper. Wonder how that would look?

Jeremy