Thoughts about Altec 515G or Iconic 165GHP woofers?

D-MAN

Is anyone out there using an Altec 515 or the Iconic 165G-HP (Great-Plains Audio) in their Khorns? This is the same driver used in A7/828 VOTs.

I've inquired with Iconic about their version. They are a spot-on match of the Altec 515GHP (got to be the same thing?).

Iconic website

Iconic 165G-HP pdf

The price is STEEP at retail $418.50 ea.

But the specs really look great and the T/S params match a Khorn quite well (albeit with a wider slot of 5"). The efficiency (sensitivity) of 104db (1w/1m) is the clincher, though. Theoretically, I'd estimate it to be about 111 to 112db (1w/1m) when in the horn.

Any thoughts? that's alot of dough, is it going to be worth it?

DM2.gif

Good point! I'll double check as "assumption is the mother of all *you-know-whats*".

My horns approximate the Khorn internals quite well and whatever would work well in mine should also work well in a Khorn, with the proviso that it can fit in the access opening in the first place, throat opening size notwithstanding.

DM2.gif

D-Man,

I have heard this more than once, Use teh K33 on the Khorn bass bin. Others have tried more exotic drivers with less than expected results. I hear that this is because teh K Horn was designed to accomodate teh K33's shortcommings.

One place I know of is teh volvotreter webpage. He tried a more exotic driver and said that he would use a K33 if he had to do it over.

Chris

Here's the rub - I've GOT K33E's in the horns already (not Khorns, though), and I too also like them.

However, I fear to crank them up for HT, they are a little light on the wattage-handling. Also, I think that there are better drivers out there, response-wise. Some things of interests are that the K33E T/S parameters fly in the face of the equations. Deep down I suspect that better horn drivers exist that are purpose-built and match the horn better. In theory, the 515/165GHP should, the specs look great for the horn(s) in question.

I am looking for higher wattage-handling without making a compromise elsewhere in the response (at least too much anyway). The K43 is not a solution as it lessens the response.

DM2.gif

----------------

On 7/21/2005 1:53:24 PM D-MAN wrote:

Here's the rub - I've GOT K33E's in the horns already (not Khorns, though), and I too also like them.

However, I fear to crank them up for HT, they are a little light on the wattage-handling. Also, I think that there are better drivers out there, response-wise.

I am looking for higher wattage-handling without making a compromise elsewhere in the response (at least too much anyway). The K43 is not a solution as it lessens the response.

DM
2.gif

----------------

Talk to Dean G. He ran his K Horns with a QSC 1606 and lit the "clip" lights on a regular basis (300+ wpc). I am using a QSC 1202 (200 wpc) with no fear (but I don't light the "clip lights") I also use a KSW 15 for below 70HZ and the whole house rumbles.

Chris

Chris

D Man.......JBL 2205 works very well. JBL E145 Gives alot of slam in the Khorn. The 2205 is my favorite. But it has to be the early version. Free air below 30hz. These are hard to find. Later versions Fe40. Also outer surrounds differ. Its the one with a 4 pleat surround. The 4" VC gives more bite above 400hz.

The 515 is only 104dB in the 828 horn cabinet, it is lower than that as a direct radiator.

Trivia:

An 828 with the 515 was called an A5, the A7 had the 416.

Anybody needing a good pair of 2205B give me a shout. Only used on Sunday (removed from a church). $100 each + ship.

Hi Dean,

I had made a similar inquiry a couple of years ago regarding a JBL 130 and an Emminance(don't recall the model). I was advised by a few more knowledgeable folks that a driver to be used in a "restricted throat" application as the Khorn was a very special "purpose built" unit. Also that no other than the K33 would provide any improvement, rather more likely poorer performance. Subsequently, I didn't spend the big $ on a woofer. The odd thing was the various driver vendors (and plenty of "non Klipsch" speaker guys) all had something they thought would be an upgrade. I think my old thread is still around on the forum somewhere (U&M). Good luck.

Regards, Jim

• 2 weeks later...

The best lower midrange and upper bass I ever heard, EVER, was 515Bs in 825s. They worked very well for me in JBL 4560s too.

Ahhh, I gave all that stuff away.

The best use for a 515 and a Khorn bassbin together would be to use a 515 in an Altec 416 above 150hz or so and use the Ks below as subs. Best of both worlds.

"The 825 or 8254x and 8256x were used only with the 3000 woofer series and not the 515b. I'm talking about products manufactured in the early 1990's"

Wrong, the 825 was the earlier version of the cabinet for the A5 and A7 VOT systems. The later version was the 828.