water damage on oiled walnut Fortes

TommyC

Hi all. A friend of my wife's has asked me to try and rescue the finish on the top of one of her oiled walnut Fortes. She had put a towel on it and set a potted plant on that. When she took it off there was a perfect round spot where the grain has raised slightly. it is a little darker and rougher than the area around it. Suggestions?

lite sanding and refinish to match the existing finish, with that said now the bad news. about 90 percent of the time the ring is there to stay (unless you re-veneer of course)

not to mention how hard it is to match stain or varnish that is older as they tend to change color with age (called patina) usually the best you can hope for is to sand out enough that it makes the ring hard to see, and to match the stain a little trick is to go a shade darker and litely sand the whole cabinet and then litely stain the cabinet (litely sand meaning just scuff the rest of the cabinet after sanding to try to remove the ring, and then lightly stain the remaining cbinet after staining the ring aera) actuyally quite a task to undertake for a friend would be much easier to just buy some smoked plexiglass and make covers for the tops to disguise the damage10.gif Joe

I agree with Joe's suggestion on the smoked glass tops. I just do not understand why people do that time and time again with the drinks and potted plants etc... I think some nice beveled glass tops are something everyone should look into if they MUST have stuff on top. I live 20 minutes away from one of the largest glass plant companies in the world. Guardian Industries. I have many friends that work there so glass tops were a no brainer.

You could use duct tape around all top edges of the speaker, forming a bowl so to speak. Have your wife pour more water inside the tape 'bowl' and let sit for several days. The entire top should then match both in color and graining. You are welcome.

Keith

Well we got them Close but, as you guys said, the ring seems to be permanent. We went ahead and refinished both speakers completely and they look Great. Lightly sanded and reoiled with BLO. She had some smoked glass tops made with nice beveled edges and it actually looks Great that way! First thing she did? Put a potted plant on top of each one! 6.gif Oh well, they are relatively safe now.