Receiver for a 35 setup

el jopez

Guys, I need some good advice,

I recently bought a pair of rf-35's for a wonderful price of 500 for the pair.

Love it.

I need to know, in an honest opinion what kind of receiver would be good to power these. I m adding an rc 7 and a subwoofer later on,(rc 7 within 3 months or less) so something to adequatley power these. I am more keen on listening to music, with movies as a second use for this system.

From reading many forum posts on here, it seems that Denon is a perfect match for Klipsch. Ive audtioned the Denon avr1905 and wasnt impressed, as the sound seemed anemic, and not very rich. Im aware of Yammies and Sony, so theres not even an option for thier products.

Am i better off getting a slightly more expensive Denon, or a Pioneer Elite or possibly a Harman Kardon? I have already told by my local Klipsch dealer not to spend no less than 500 for good sounding system.

Help me out guys as this is my first true Klipsch system as my GMX-D and ProMedia 2.1's dont cut it any more. I have been infected.

joe

Congrats on your new speakers and such a killer deal! I'm real curious about what you have heard about Yamaha's and Sony? I use a RX-V2500 for my RF-7 system and while it is not my dream set up, it is totally awesome. It's got more features than I will ever use and when cranked to concert levels it has no noise or hiss. Sony's, that I've had in the past, all make noise when cranked up. The Yamaha is very quiet. I considered Denon, but when I looked at features and price, I felt I got more with the Yamaha. I must note that I plan to use it only as a preamp when I add a Rotel 1095 later this year. I'm only adding that because I feel the 7's are begging me for 200 watts per channel. There are people here who swear by Marantz. That might be another one to consider. I would try to demo as many as you can and make your decison based on what sounds the best to YOU and has the most features that you'll use. Good Luck! Let us know how it turns out.

I just upgraded my system, I traded my RB-35's for RF-35's and bought the Denon 3805, It sounded good with the RF-35's at my dealers place. Once I get it hooked properly (I think I will have to get an Electrical Engineering degree to do that lol) I will let you know how it sounds in 2 channel mode at my house.

welcome to the forum el jopez. 1.gif

I am a fan of Denon receivers. They have a high current design and match well with Klipsch speakers. IMO, if you could find a used Denon 3803 you would be ecstatic for the price. If not then I would opt for the 3805. I have no experience with the 2805, so I can't give you an honest opinion. I have heard nothing but good things about HK receivers, but that would be one also to consider.

Good Luck on your decision.2.gif

el if you looking at spending less then $700 dollars then most

AVR's are in the same boat. As you can see form my sig I picked

the Yamaha, I think the rap on Yamaha is from people going to Best

Buy looking/listening at $250 yamaha's and then saying there not

impressed. Go figure.

• Like 1

Hmmm.... I am very pleased with my Denon..... nice warm sound, with a very clean presence. I am somewhat surprised that you had a poor feeling about the Denon. I know it seems everyone has their own favorite, but from what I gather Denon and HK are two favorites amonst Klipsch fans....

Petrol,

I have mine all set up now, and I love the Denon. Movies sound awesome and now I have good 2 channel sounds as well.

I would recomend the Denon 3805 to anyone.

and now I will also say a persons Fronts should always be floorstanders, my front sound stage now is much much better since I traded the RB's for RF's. I did listen to it with old HK before I hooked the denon up to make sure it was not just the receiver making the difference.

It seems the 3085 is the preferred choice for a 35 setup.

What was the going price that you received for your avr?

Also, since Klipsch speakers are very efficient, should I be to worried about

purchasing an avr thats below a Denon 3085 build and merely coupling it

with a good amp to compensate for the decrease in wattage to the speakers?

Thanks for the information!

Joe

Alrighty then, Im going to visit my Ultimate Elec salesman and see what kind of deals he can ink for me for either the Denon 2805 or 3805.

Thanks again for the advice, and I will update you with my purchase.

Joe

"god, this addiction is worse than drugs"

Cool newbie, humor an ancient Forum poster and please specify your system: amps, subs, room size, most tastes, preferred volume level, etc, in your profile. This will give thoughtful posters more of the right information they need to make insightful suggestions. Thanks.

1. I think if you get the music right, you will enjoy any movies on your system. For two-channel (with a sub) music, my first choice is the wonderful analog class D chip amplifiers, such as the $35 Sonic Impact 5066 integrated class-T digital amplifier. Only 2-channel with one input, I know, but if you have a universal player, this is quite an amazing little device for the money. Running a sub off the speaker binding posts will be tricky, because the amplifier is so little and light, and the posts are small and fragile. So cheap it is worth a try.

2. Second choice, wonderful and smooth enduring vintage harmon kardon twin-powered 430, 630, 730 and 930 receivers, going from $25 to $150 on eBay. These give any modern $500 receiver Ive heard on big ole horns a run for the money. They handle 2 sets of loudspeakers and have pre-amplifier outputs too.

3. Id also have give a hell, yes shout to tubes and now lately to the three channel $100, if you can find them, Teac AL 700P class T digital amplifier so infamously lauded on this forum would be my first inexpensive choice to couple with a wonderful sounding tube pre-amplifier, like the Blueberry Merlin.

4. Ultimate long-term listening pleasure though is found with tubes on horns, even medium size ones. For that, check out the refurbished vintage integrated tube amplifiers at poster NOSvalves web site. Excellent values and resale units sometimes for $500 to $1K.

5. Above those, consider new integrated tube amplifiers like the Cayin TA30 I heard at peacherman Daddydees Arkansas gathering in May 2004 or the excellent values from Antique Sound Labs (ASL).

10.gif

Wow, im getting deeper into this than I originaly bargained for. Completly my fault. If I wanted a

simple setup I could have opted for a crappy HTIB by yammy, sony or heaven and hell forbid by bose!

Ok ever so wise and ancient one:

Room size is a variable. Im looking at two options, one room is roughly 15x27. They are living

room spaces not small or large.

Music will be the primary use for the system. I antcipate 85% usage for music with movies after that.

As stated in my first post, I will be adding a RC-7 followed by an RW-12 within a 6 month window or less.

As much as I would love a 5.1 setup, its not going to happen, at least atm. Im trying to find the best option

that will allow me to upgrade and expand without having to replace to many components.

Im not looking for earth shattering power that would put a shuttle lift off to shame. As most if not all posters here desire,

I want a rich warm and full sound from these speakers that can crank it without breakin the bank.

Originaly I was lookin at purchasing a high end avr (denon 3805) or possibly a lower end model and coupling it with a

decent amp to compensate for the lack of power the higher end model would provide. I have been told and read many accounts

where tubes are the best option for audiophile quality sound.

Suggestions are needed! If I can purchase an optimal component system that would outshine a high end avr, I will go for it as im

trying to be as cost effective as possible.

Joe

"my labor of love is coming with a pretty price tag"

I would consider (ab)using your local electronics chain stores' return policies. Circuit City carries Harman Kardon -- take a 635 home for a couple weeks, return it, and then trot over to The Good Guys for a Denon. Recommendations from folks who like their gear are all well and good, but in the end YOU have to live with the equipment. It's better if you choose it on the basis of liking what YOU hear.

OK, thanks for posting, that really changes things: get the sub first before the center channel!

15x27 is large in the home stereo world

Reference spekers are worth the investemnet in front-end equipment may be all you ever want

best option is get right equipment the first time

RF only need a few watts, it the sub you need for bass

Refurbished vintage integrated tube amplifiers give rich, warm, natural sound without breaking the bank and might be sold for what you paid for them!

My suggestions above outshine a high end harmon kardon AVR are are as cost effective as possible.

Seriously, max out the cards and try all three at once, with a dozen favorite discs, each will be different, all will fit your needs.

1.gif

Great info.

However, why the sub vs the center first?

Well, with a friend who works at BB in hand we invaded Ultimate Elec. The a complete 35 setup had been moved into a listening room, so we popped in some discs with a denon 4806 powering the system. I knew right off the bat that my system wouldnt sound near this quality since the 4806 would be WAY out of my price range atm.

In all honesty, I wasnt impressed with the avr. There was somthing about the sound that was missing. Maybe I didnt have it cranked up high enough. eh.

However, I was able to clearly demonstrate the beautiful clarity of the reference line. He is already familiar with synergy and was blown away by detail, clarity and the headroom the speakers had over the low end synergies. Convert.

I will admit to this though, I was completely blown away when it came to a rousing conclusion by the London Philharmonic playing "Pictures at an Exhibition" by Mussorgsky. The sound was there like the other discs I had audtioned. Nothing enveloping, just clear sounds that my friend had never heard before in a speaker. However, it wasnt until the final chord was reached in "The Great Gate of Kiev" that it seemed as if the speakers FINALLY displayed there full potential; every instrument was there, loud and clear. The highs and lows exploded gracefully out of the speaker with tremendous force. It was the proverbial smack in the face effect. Needless to say we were rolling on the floor with pure glee/amazement at the demonstration. That was the sound I was waiting for, full and emodied that smacks you upside the head and says "Im here!"

With that in mind now, I know I dont want to have something to cheap, however Im hoping I dont have to refinance my house for this.

If I am to try shopping for tubes, how do I go about doing it. I know just as much about tubes as Jessica Simpson knows about buffalo wings.

Is there a faq or a 1-1 basics to this I should be aware of before making this step?

Joe

----------------

posted by el: "I know just as much about tubes as Jessica Simpson knows about buffalo wings."

----------------

And that my friend, is more then I know about tubes, LOL

BTW, Shane, thanks for the update...I reeeeally wanted to get the RF-35s first but didn't have the patients of scratch at the time so I figured I'd get the RB-35s and move them to the rear as soon as I could swing RFs...wouldn't you know it, I came across an easy $400 side deal helping a friend with a project a week after I got the RBs (smackes forhead). . . now I "NEED" to get more funds and aquire some RFs!!!

BTW II, Colin (Anyone) I'm seem to know less about creating a profile and posting here then Jessica Simpson knows about buffalo wings as well...Is there a thread here to help newbies with setting these things up?