Center Channel box for sale!

This is a bit off-track and I really do not mean to be dis-respectful.

The quality of the construction looks good, the box is metal (not plastic like when I make these). But unless the capacitor (a very simple high pass filter) is made out of gold ("audiophile"-grade), why is the box so expensive?

Again, I am just curious and I am not trying to get into an argument.

-Tom

Tom I paid $175.00 for it new a few months ago. I am open to offers but for most (other than someone who can make them) its a fair price. I own a $3,500.00 preamp and it has about $500.00 worth of parts in it. I would not go to one of your threads and start something. Do you think it would have been wiser for you to pm me instead? If someone offered $125.00 I'm sure I would take it. Since you make these as well it seems not only are you knocking the price but making folks aware of the fact that you make these. NOT NICE6.gif It is high quality.

I will repeat what I said: My questions were not meant to be dis-respectful.

I have meade similar devices in the past that were for my own personal use - I DO NOT make these for comercial purposes.

It is interesting that a high pass circuit has been added and I know that others have made other refinements. I was trying to get a better picture of what the box does. It is obvious that there is good craftsmanship and materials involved and I believe that I pointed that out. I trust no one misconstrued my questions as an attempt to trash the merchandise.

-Tom

No problem Tom, I am sorry as well. It just struck me the wrong way. Here is the email I got from Dave (audiokid) just prior to him shipping the unit to me.

"I have great news. The parts came in today, and I've started your bridged center box. It really is looking great... as I've redesigned the layout for shorter wiring and easier construction. I've spent 3 hours on it so far, and expect to finish it tomorrow or Thursday (Lucy has 'class' tomorrow).

The parts cost for your box were much higher than my standard, as I built it to the 125Hz Hi-Pass Filter, and high quality Solen (France) filter. The additional cost will be $75, which combined with the $100 already spent will cover the parts, labor (total 4 hours), and shipping back to you. You can send the additional $75 to PayPal at your convenience, and also send me your address. I'll do my best to send it out by Friday"

I hope that helps. All the best, Guy

Guy,

Could you say more about the circuit? It is most interesting. I know the Klipsch "minibox" requires a center channel power amp to function. Have observed that some vintage integrated amps and receivers have a circuit which can derive a center channel with speaker level output, which is very convenient. Another device which derives speaker level center output is the Hafler circuit, can't remember what that unit is named, though. Does this box produce a summed center? I'd be intereted to hear how it's worked in your system.

Also, wondering about the cut off filter.

Thanks.

Dee

It worked VERY well here is the info David (audiokid) sent me. Let me know if it answers your questions.

"

Alpha-Omega Bridged-Center Control Box

Description: The Bridged-Center Control Box derives the phantom L+R bridged-center channel from the speaker outputs of a conventional (non-bridged) audio amplifier, and is intended for use with horn-loaded corner speaker systems. This component is a passive device, and introduces about 3 dB of insertion loss. It incorporates a level control to adjust the center speaker volume, which should generally be much lower than the flanking speakers. It also contains a first-order High Pass Filter that reduces the output of the center speaker below 600 Hz, which is desirable when a non-horn loaded (bass) speaker is used for the bridged-center channel speaker. The HPF switch should be in the on (up) position when the filter action is desired. The rear of the box contains a left and right channel speaker input (from the output of your audio amplifier), and a center channel speaker output. All connectors are high quality 5-way binding posts. The component is rated for amplifiers up to 100 watts per channel.

Connection: The left and right channel speaker outputs from the audio amplifier are connected to the Bridged-Center Control Box corresponding inputs on the rear. If this is used with a vacuum tube amplifier, the flanking speakers should be connected to the 4 ohm taps, and the Bridged-Center Control box also connected to the 4 ohm taps (the 8 or 16 ohm taps can be used only in the unlikely event that you require a slightly higher output level out of the center channel). The Red terminals are positive (+), and the Black terminals are negative (-). The center channel speaker should be connected to the Bridged-Center Control Box with the Red going to the +, and the Black going to the -.

Operation: The center channel speaker should be placed directly between the flanking speakers, with all tweeters at roughly the same height. Turn on the stereo system, and play a recording with some center channel material. A soloist situated in the center would be ideal. While sitting in your listening position, have an assistant turn the center level fully clockwise. You should notice a that you can now hear the center channel speaker. While listening, have the assistant gradually reduce the level (CCW), until the center speaker can slightly be heard. This may take some experimenting to get it to sound natural. A good test would be to listen to a full symphony orchestra. The instruments toward the center should be clear and well-defined within the soundstage, without sounding forward. A recording with a soloist might sound as if hes slightly forward, toward the listener. The center channel speaker should be subtle, and not stand out on its own. Its sole purpose is to provide focus the stereo image between the flanking speakers."

I know this reads that it has a 600hz cut off but we changed it to 125 hz. Guy

"I forgot to mention it has a 120 hz cut off switch as well."

Guy,

Thanks for explaining that. I was wondering what the cap for. I've not seen a center channel box like this with a high pass filter. Interesting concept.

Assuming the center speaker is the same as the R and L, does the cut off improve the effect of the center channel?

David