shelve dimensions diy rack?

travisc

I wanted to be clear for him.. 19" wide is the general pro component say if your looking at a electronic piece of equipment. If it just hi fi gear you might want to add a couple of inches to the sides...rounded to 24 wide would be plenty wide..FYI.

How far it goes back again at LEAST 18" but 20- 24 again would be optimal. Do not forget to give yourself a few inches above any equipment you think will run warm to hot... so a basic 24"x 24" box.... with shelves spaced above .. 3" - 4" each piece of warm or hot electrical stereo, DVD, cable box etc., etc., for equipment should do.

Travisc,

I used 5/8" all-thread. With the granite shelves, you might want to go 3/4". I ordered the all-thread, nuts & washers from McMaster Carr. They have a great catalog and it's there the next day. I'm sure someone like Grainger would have the same stuff. You've got a lot of options on all-thread: size, length & material/color-ie: black. I used hose type rubber washers between the shelves and bottom side washers to reduce vibration/resonance. Don't know if it works, but it made me feel better. I also picked up some rubber tips like you'd see on the end of a walking cane to go on the bottom of the all thread to protect the floor.

I think they work really well and are easy on the wallet.

Your mahogony granite sounds like it'll be sharp. Please post a pic when you are done so we can admire you're handywork.

paul2.gif

I'll def post pics. I'm going to use your dimensions, they already drew them up for me on the computer. They said an inch in from the sides would be strong enough. They got all kinds of fancy edges I can put on the sides and I havent decided yet. I am going to use 3/4" rod and only three of them.

Another cool thing they do is run a trench on the bottom and glue some kind of fiber optic underneath to illuminate the shelves underneath. I'm toying with the idea but havent seen the stuff yet.

again thanks for all the help

• 2 weeks later...

top shelf was cored halfway through. Nuts washers and o-rings on the bottom with the rod sitting in the stone.

I am on the fence about this and may drill through and lock it down. If someone (probly me) were to lean on the front edge with the single rod it could flip off. It would take about 15#'s of downward force but very possible.

It would break your foot for sure. and I also have some friends with children. It wouldnt be the first time safety took a back seat to fashion

----------------

On 8/13/2005 10:16:25 PM TommyC wrote:

It seems like there should be some sort of threaded insert that could be glued in or something. It has such a Finished look without the rods sticking through the top.
----------------

If that is a concern you can simply cut whatever finish tubing to fit (brass, stainless, decorator PVC, bamboo, large soda straws, garden hose, etc. 2.gif) and slip them over the rod.