looking for a 50" DLP

GOLDDOWN

I'm a fan of the JVC HD-ILA RPTV's. They have a 52" version. Not sure what it can be had for but the MSRP is $3800, so i'm sure it can be had for alot less. I really like the picture. I've got the 70" version, and I think it's fantastic. JVC uses 3 color chips instead of the single chip and color wheel that most DLP's use. To me it looks brighter and more natural. My 2nd choice would be Mitsubishi. I was set on buying their DLP tv, until I saw the JVC. The Mits looks great also if you remove the glass sheild to take away the glare. Sony's LCD DLP is nice too!

Jeremy

thanks for the info. I went to BB yesterday to look at the JVC and the salesperson said they don't carry it know more do to high returns. I was looking at that model for two month and like it, but with high returns I don't know, However you know how bestbuy is 9.gif I'll try to find some reviews on the Sony and Mit. Thanks for the info.

----------------

On 8/3/2005 10:45:33 AM GOLDDOWN wrote:

thanks for the info. I went to BB yesterday to look at the JVC and the salesperson said they don't carry it know more do to high returns. I was looking at that model for two month and like it, but with high returns I don't know, However you know how bestbuy is
9.gif
I'll try to find some reviews on the Sony and Mit. Thanks for the info.

----------------

High returns? I suppose it's possible, but it's also possible its just a line of B.S. to get you to buy what they have on the floor. Don't forget - these same salespeople will also give you a song and dance about Monster Cable too.

If I'm gonna drop 2 or 3 large on a TV, it sure isn't gonna be at some mass-market store like Best Buy which often is staffed by nincompoops. I'd gladly pay a premium to go to a real audio/video store with knowledgable sales people.

Just to clear up some false/confusing statements here:

DLP and HDILA and LCD are three totally separate technologies.

HD-ILA is actually LCOS, or Liquid Crystal on Silicon. The JVC models do use 3 chips, and have a better black level than LCD, but have been prone to breakdown (the newer models are said to be more reliable). They still do not reach the black levels of DLP.

LCD is a good choice if you don't care about deep black levels. LCD is the cheapest (usually) of the three technologies.

DLP has the best black levels, most uniform picture (low screen-door effect, or tight pixel grouping..whatever you want to call it), and overall sharpest pic...but they use a colorwheel. IF you are sensitive to the 'rainbow effect' these sets are not for you. I bought the Panny 51" dlp, and loved the pic, but the rainbows made me crazy.

I ended up settling for a Hitachi CRT. Yes, it's big, but it still has the best blacks and best overall pic (most film-like). It's only drawback is it doesn't have the light output of hte above technologies, but that's OK for me since I can control the lighting in my HT.

Anyway, just wanted to clear up the confusion, no offense. HDILA and LCD are not DLP, they are 3 separate technologies.

Sony does not currently make DLP sets, they're sticking with LCD (it's easy to see why, their LCD sets are great).

Here's a good DLP review site. He's started reviewing LCD sets also.

http://www.dlptvreview.com/

My choice for DLP is anything with the HD2+ chip in it. It is the best DLP 720p chip out, and has the best blacks (competes with CRT). Panasonic and Mitsubishi both make 51" models with this chip in them. Also, Samsung makes some as well.

I agree with mmiles . I have had my Samsung 50" DLP for almost a year and a half and I love it . High def programming and DVD's look outstanding . I would suggest Cicuit City if they are in your area . I have found that their staff is fairly knowledgable , as opposed to Best Buy . Also you have 30 days after purchase to return no questions asked . This way you could actually try out several at home and decide which one you like best . I will advise you to get a good extended warranty with whatever and wherever you buy . Mine even covers the lamp for 5 years , which because they will burn out should pay for the warranty I purchased . 10.gif

----------------

On 8/4/2005 1:00:17 PM sunburnwilly wrote:

I agree with mmiles . I have had my Samsung 50" DLP for almost a year and a half and I love it . High def programming and DVD's look outstanding . I would suggest Cicuit City if they are in your area . I have found that their staff is fairly knowledgable , as opposed to Best Buy . Also you have 30 days after purchase to return no questions asked . This way you could actually try out several at home and decide which one you like best . I will advise you to get a good extended warranty with whatever and wherever you buy . Mine even covers the lamp for 5 years , which because they will burn out should pay for the warranty I purchased .
10.gif

----------------

I also agree with Samsung and the extended warranty. I had my lamp replaced under the warranty and it would have cost me $400 according to the tech. The picture is great compared with the cost. My guess is you could get a 50 inch Samsung DLP some $ amount less than 3 grand now.

thanks for the replys. there is a circuit city in town I'll go and check them out. The only reason I wasn't looking at LCD was becuase people were saying that they were slower than DLP. However I do like the piture on the Sony. So I will be looking at the Samsung and Sony. Thanks again for the help.

I have both, a 60" Sony LCD projection TV and the 46" Samsung DLP projection TV, the colors are minutely deeper on the Samsung while the picture is smoother on the Sony, I have some discs for tweaking the picture but instead have used factory settings with minor adjustments and they are both good choices. The prices have dropped significantly on older models as new ones have come out recently.

I have found www.audioreview.com as a good starting place for owner reviews before I go out and look for myself.

Best of luck on your choice!

----------------

On 8/3/2005 8:30:58 AM GOLDDOWN wrote:

Is there a website I can find reviews on DLP. Also what 50" DLP do you guys recommend for 3000.00

----------------

I work for Panasonic. We just ran prepro's of our new 56" DLP. My jaw hit the floor when I saw the picture quality this TV has. Awesome cabinet design,Built right here in the USA.They should hit the stores in a few weeks.Worth a look.

A Mitsubishi WD52527 52" DLP can be had for lesst han $3k ( $2799 ) and it uses the DLP2+ Chip. It has been replaced withe the WD52528, which is $2999.97 but is nearly the exact same tv with a different model number.

Mitsubishi also has a WD52628 due out in the next 2 months that is a true 1080P DLP tv, it should run about $3700.

----------------

On 8/7/2005 7:01:15 AM dr-dezibel wrote:

Anyone experience with Toshiba DLP?

----------------

I've had the Toshiba 52HMX94 since Feb. I really like it. The pictures excellent, plus I got a great price on it at the time.

I have a 50" Samsung myself. One thing you want to check out is the repair records of some of the models, because you definitely want to stay away from the bad ones. One model (I think it was Zenith or maybe RCA) had a horrible record. Another thing you may need to consider is the width of the unit. If you plan on purchasing a new entertainment center, like I had to do to keep the wife happy, you will need to take that into consideration. I had an opportunity to get a good deal on a Toshiba, which looked as good as the Samsung to me, but the speakers on the sides of the Toshiba made it too big for any entertainment center we could find and even then I would have not had enough room for my RF-3's to sit on either side of it because the wall it would be on had a door in it.

Others to consider:

Mitsubishi. New models released last year are hot.

Optoma. Excellent picture, one of the best maybe the best but it usually runs 30% + more than Samsung.

Sim2. Great PQ and hot looking modern cabinet but $$$$

Loewe. Not sure of spelling. German and sweat... but like the Sim2 $$$

Again Samsung is a great "value" IMHO.

Regards,

Mike

• 3 weeks later...