Question on interconnect lengths

mark1101

Need a little help and some recommendations.

Just moved into a new place and I have my two systems in adjacent rooms. I am considering having the sources (CD players, PC, tuner) be located in one of the systems but be common to both. Thus, both rooms playing the same music simultaneously. The systems are about 25 ft. apart but the shortest run would require about 40 ft. of cabling.

Next, the main system with the source components in a Peach/VRD/Las setup and the system in the "other" room uses vintage integrateds/corns/heresy center.

OK, I already split the Peach output once so I can use a couple of powered subs with the Las.

The questions are:

If I chose to split the signal from a CD player and/or PC and run it 40-50ft, would there be anything left at the other end feeding the vintage system, or would it be too degraded?

Should I just split the Peach signal again and be done with it? I wouldn't hesitate actually since LoZ mode will handle it, but I seem to prefer the slight tonal differences of HiZ mode. I guess I'm wondering if HiZ mode might handle a second signal splitting.

If I sent a preamp level signal from the Peach into a vintage integrated, will that bode well or not?

Thanks for any info provided.

I think running an unbalanced line level signal from a CD player or PC 40' is not going to work very well. You are going to lose a lot of signal strength and maybe pick up a lot of noise. You could do it if you converted it to a balanced singal at one end and converted back at the other.

My guess is you will wind up having to use the LoZ mode of the Peach.

This all seems like a no brainer to me. The LoZ mode is likely to work. The others may or may not. Run the cable and try all three approaches. Pick the one that works best.

That is way to long for an unbalanced cable. I have had luck with up to 20ft ... but 30ft and more always seems to pick up some interference (RFI I'm guessing). Depending on your home's wiring... you also have the additional risk of having ground loop problems.

The safest bet would seem to place all the equipment in one room and use long speaker wires, which are at a much lower noise risk.

Rob

OK, after some experimentation over the last couple of days I now know what not to do. The distance from the main to "other" system ended up being exactly 52 ft. I tried running brand new interconnects in two 20 Ft. sections and one 12 ft. section to make the distance (preamp out line level). Absolute garbage. I couldn't hear any differences at 20 ft. But past that the signal just degraded beyond discussion.

I think I will be co-locating the amps for the "other" system back in the same room with the main system and just run long speaker wires to solve this issue.

Thanks for the info. I guess I just had to find this out for myself.

I've thought about this in my place, too. I have a DVD-A player with the Denon HT set-up, and the Sony SACD player and turntable with the 2-channel rig. I wonder how well those FM systems work. You know, the ones that convert line level sources into FM signals? What other wireless technologies might be high quality?

Yeah, I was looking at those systems last night when I returned the long interconnects that I purchased. I also looked at a speaker switch box that handled up to 4 pair of speakers. But I didn't buy either.

I never tried or heard wireless systems like that other than in a car audio application.

What's sad is that I have these two nice 2 Ch. systems that are completely different but that I enjoy a lot, and I'm afraid I won't be able to make use of both effectively the way I did at my last house. So I figured if I played off of common sources that I would use both simultaneously in different recreation rooms in the basement. I'm still headed that way, I just need to keep chugging along and see how best to accomplish it.

In response to fini's question above: What other wireless technologies might be high quality?

In the near future you should begin to see the proliferation of UWB - Ultra WideBand (802.15x)

This is a unique system enabling secure high speed broadband connectivity up to ~30 feet.