problems with my new computer

Well this is the problem. Even though i'm absolutely positive i have installed the speakers as said in the instructions i cn't get the rear speakers to say anything. i have a soundblaster live x-gamer and i'm not sure where to plug in the purple plug since there is no purple plug on the card (if the green plugs into the green then where does the purple one go???).

Also i have windows millenium and i can't open the help because i get a message that "DDHELP has caused a problem in <unknown> and must be closed. i even tried deleting the whole file but windows just keeps on making new copies.

ppppppplllllleaaaaaazzzzzzzeeee help me!!!

I'm not sure which one is which(purple or green is front and rear). Refer to both your manuals (prom. and sblive).

Your x-gamer has front and rear channel outs (one next to the other) plug the jacks in accordingly.(if you don't have the manuals, i can check for you)

In the creative surround mixer, set your pc speakers to "4 speakers" and in your windows audio settings(advanced i think) set your speakers to "quadraphonic".

Hope this helps.

note: The promedia jacks ar not colour co-ordinated with your x-gamer outputs.

the problem is that the live manual has the jacks reversed where the joystick jack are on opposite sides in the pictures and on my cards.

So then i should put the green plug in the green jack and the purple in the black?

Hey Winstorm. that ddhelp error is a bug between directX and ATI drivers( i'm gessing you have an ATI graphics card ) and on my computer it doesn't let me open neither the help in windows nor my DVD player. There is a list of things you can do in the ATI website but none of them worked for me because that error prevented me in making the changes it says to do.

My suggestion to you is fdisk it and install Win98 SE or Win2K. I am an avid lan-gamer and I was plagued with problems when I went to ME. I spent most of last weekend nuking my drive and reinstalling all my s/w.

SB Live

Joystick/Output2/Output1/Mic/Line

If you aren't running an ATI card, say maybe a TNT2 or GeForce, I would highly recommend downloading nVidia's latest reference drivers (currently v6.50). And reinstall DirectX 8 (http://www.microsoft.com/directx).

Also, it really can depend on what kind of motherboard you are running as well.

Some people have problems with video and continue to think it's the O/S or the video drivers. In most cases it is.

However, the motherboard may be the culprit as well. Newer motherboards have been known to cause problems with older video cards. Check your motherboard developer's website for the latest information. http://www.motherboards.org has some great information. Check to make sure your motherboard is up to the latest BIOS revision. If you are running a newer video card such as a ATI Radeon or GeForce card, some of the latest BIOS rev's have added a lot of new hardware feature settings for video cards such as changing the AGP from 1x - 4x or Fast Write capabilities. All of these enhancements can either increase stability or performance.

------------------

LoAdEd (Jeremy Hartmann)

------------------------

Athlon T-Bird 900

Abit KT7 Raid

128MB PC100

Viper V770 32MB TNT2

16.0 GB IBM 5400rpm UDMA33

TDK VeloCD 8x/4x/32x IDE

Sound Blaster Live! Value

Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400's

Netgear FA310TX

Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical Explorer

Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro (w/2 additional USB ports)

Actually I have a Creative TNT2.. Now that I think about it the message does come up when I run apps which use directx... PowerDVD, Geiss, etc. I will reinstall Dx8

Anyway I set up a dual boot with win2k last week to try it out... so far I like it so i'll probably reformat and switch.

--------------------

Athlon 500 @ 770 FSB @110

Gigabyte 7IXE Bios F.4 (shitty mobo..)

256MB PC133

Creative TNT2 @ 160/180

Seagate Barracuda 18.1 SCSI on Adaptec AU2940

SoundBlaster Live! Value

Pioneer 16X DVD IDE

Ricoh 6X4X24 CDRW IDE

3Com EtherLink

and of course...

KLIPSCH PROMEDIA V2.400!!!!!!!!!!!!

my computer is as new as they could get (i "finished" it yesterday meaning everything was installed but there are still some bugs). i fixed the speaker problem now all i have to do is fix the ddhelp problem. i tried reinstalling dx8 but that didn't help. i wish i could go back a week and bought th 98se instead of millenium.

actually the ati website recommended as a fix to install 98 drivers to fix the problem. Go figure!!!