A trip to skonopa�s house

Well after a couple of weeks of talking with Steve I finally made it up to his house last Sunday. The day started of with light rain. I thought the weather was going to hinder me from riding the bike, but as the morning progressed the rain subsided. I made a call to Steve to get the address and we chatted for a while and he told me a better back way to get there so I wouldnt have to get on the freeway (freeways are a bummer on the bike). After a nice 2 hour ride I pulled up in the driveway, never even had to stop and consult the map in my pocket his directions were perfect.

His living room is not too much bigger than mine (note to self: My room is not too small for RF-7s) and the 7s look great next to the big screen Mitsubishi TV. He has a 6.1+2 system running from a B & K amp and using a Denon pre-pro. The +2 is a set of RF-5s that run as a second set of surrounds.

First off he put in the AmiMusic DVD, we watched and listed to a few tracks. I really liked this DVD and will have one of my own soon. I noticed that the sound was just so crisp and clear. I then asked to put in Octavian fro Dream Theater, one cd I knew he and I both had. I found that his system was so much more detailed and richer sounding than my KG system. We went on listening to this and that and talking in between songs.

Steve being in the computer programming business has at least 1 computer in each room of his house and has some killer looking gamming set ups. Got a tour of the house and in his basement he has a perfect room for a theater or listening room for K-Horns (with perfect corners). He said he has plans for the room.

We were both getting hungry so we headed out to get a bite. We talked thru dinner and when the check came he wouldnt let me pitch in. He picked up the tab, wow, what a host. When we made it back to his house I had to get going. I really dont like doing log distance rides home in the dark on the bike due to the numbers of deer in Virginia. I invited him down to my place anytime he wanted to come.

It was really nice meeting Steve and I look forward to the day I have a system that will compare to his. He was a great host and I look forward to meeting with him again.

Is really nice being able to meet people from the forum and getting a demo of their systems. I hope I am able to make it to Hope in September to meet more of you and to listen to more equipment.

Steve

Steven is a real nice guy. I met him at the pilgrimage. I hope to make it to Virginia and check out the sknopa system sometime as well. It's a little bit too long of a bike ride from here. He's rumored to have a killer car system also. Insofar as the RF-7's are concerned, I hear some folks on this forum (and even more at AVS) tell potential fans that they don't sound good in a small room--Poppycock!10.gif

----------------

On 8/6/2005 1:17:08 AM customsteve01 wrote:

Is really nice being able to meet people from the forum and getting a demo of their systems. I hope I am able to make it to Hope in September to meet more of you and to listen to more equipment.

Steve

----------------

It was awesome to have you come up. I am sure proud of my setup and glad to show it off. I don't mind having a few folks over to listen to my system. It just shows that the RF-7s are indeed some awesome speakers, despite what the Heritage "purists" may think.

----------------

On 8/8/2005 4:42:12 PM nicholtl wrote:

You lucky guy! Steve and I share the EXACT same taste in music and it would've been AWESOME to be in your shoes!

----------------

One of these days, I'd love to get out your way. Hell, one of my cousins lives in San Diego.

----------------

On 8/7/2005 6:46:16 PM skonopa wrote:

It just shows that the RF-7s are indeed some awesome speakers, despite what the Heritage "purists" may think.

----------------

Steve,

I may be a Heritage purist but I have no doubt your system sounds amazing! If you aren't busy Saturday, Joe is bringing his VRDs to my place for a shootout with the MkIIIs. Should be fun. You can hear my modest Khorn and Cornwall based systems, not to mention a mostly Heritage HT. I may even drag the zebrawood heresys upstairs to use as surrounds.6.gif

----------------

On 8/9/2005 9:36:12 PM garymd wrote:

I may be a Heritage purist but I have no doubt your system sounds amazing! If you aren't busy Saturday, Joe is bringing his VRDs to my place for a shootout with the MkIIIs. Should be fun. You can hear my modest Khorn and Cornwall based systems, not to mention a mostly Heritage HT. I may even drag the zebrawood heresys upstairs to use as surrounds.
6.gif

----------------

Well, as far as I currently know, I am not doing anything this Saturday.

The "Heritage Purist" comment came from the fact that I was just getting so tired of hearing/seeing people bash on the RF-7s, especially in the two-channel section, especially when some of those people doing the bashing have never heard a good RF-7 setup.

Yes, I've heard Heritage, and they do indeed sound awesome. Believe me, I'd love to have a pair of Khorns myself, but at the same time, these RF-7s, especially with good amplification, are just friggan unbelievable!