Preamp Recommendations

Dirk Diggler

I have a system doing double duty as a HT and 2 channel system. I am using La Scala main speakers that I want to use for both systems.

My HT is set up in 5.1 with 3 heresys and a Velodyne sub. I use a Sony DVP-S9000ES for DVD and CD.

For 2 channel, I picked up a pair of Monarchy SE-100 100WPC Class A monoblocks. I am looking for recommendations for a preamp that will allow use of the La Scalas for HT and 2 channel. I would alo like to try tubes also.

Any thoughts? Thanks for any input.

Dirk

Good movie, nice handle. Also, nice amps.

In any event, what you are hinting at is a tube preamp with a Home Theater (or HT) bypass. That way you could use the LaScalas for 2-channel (with the tube preamp portion) and then switch the bypass to allow a feed from a multi-channel processor (for movies and DVD-Audio). Doing a search for a preamp with a bypass with give some people's opinions and reviews. Ultimately, the choice of a preamp depends on your budget, listening preferences, etc.

I personally use a JuicyMusic Peach, which is a pretty popular product in here. It has two different 2-channel tube modes, and a HT-bypass mode. That way, I can use my Belles for two-channel, running off of the tube preamp, and also for HT, using the bypass, off of my multi-channel processor. Excellent preamp. www.juicymusicaudio.com. That way, you could just add a multi-channel processor (even from a receiver) and have the best of both worlds.

Do a search. You will find that the Peach has many fans in here.

Carl.

Agree great name, great movie.

Dirk, I am using khorns as mains for HT and as my 2 channel speakers. I use a NILES AUDIO DPS-1 which allows you to run one set of speakers switching between two sources (amps, preamp what have you). I realize this does not answer you question about what preamp...but it does give you the option of getting any preamp you want and switching between them.

My long range plans will most likely lead me to a blueberry. Another juicy music product Similar to the peach, but with phono stage. Since the blueberry does not have a HT pass through I will still be able to use the khorns for HT and 2 channel with the Niles box. Something to think about.

Hope this helps, Rich

----------------

On 8/10/2005 2:07:16 PM rplace wrote:

Agree great name, great movie.

Dirk, I am using khorns as mains for HT and as my 2 channel speakers. I use a NILES AUDIO DPS-1 which allows you to run one set of speakers switching between two sources (amps, preamp what have you). I realize this does not answer you question about what preamp...but it does give you the option of getting any preamp you want and switching between them.

My long range plans will most likely lead me to a blueberry. Another juicy music product Similar to the peach, but with phono stage. Since the blueberry does not have a HT pass through I will still be able to use the khorns for HT and 2 channel with the Niles box. Something to think about.

Hope this helps, Rich

----------------

Rich brings up a good point. If you were to use a different amp for the LaScalas for HT duty, then you could a Niles switchbox to also accomplish what you want to do (with the Monarchs for 2-channel only) - and pick up a tube preamp for two-channel without HT bypass. (i.e. Merlin for two channel + another amp for HT). I can also vouch for the Niles DPS-1. Inexpensive and works well. However, this might not be a saving for you unless you have an extra amp to throw on the LaScalas for HT duty.

All in all, it might be easier to pick up a refurbed Peach. That way, you can use your Monarchs for both two-channel and HT duty.9.gif

Carl.

----------------

On 8/10/2005 2:11:23 PM mdeneen wrote:

Dirk---

Just noticed your post there. The Merlin does NOT have the HT bypass, nor the multi-mode output capability of the Peach.

FYI, we still have 1 or maybe even 2 of the Peach Demo/Refurb units that would fit in your budget. Check the web site.

mdeneen

----------------

Mark, that refurbed Peach is a heck of a deal. Saw your new Special Edition Peach, it looks nice. Out of curiosity, what three NOS tubes are you enclosing with the new Peach NOS? Amperex??

Carl.

Darn, if you can get a Peach for the budget mentioned above, you should jump on it right away. Nothing will touch it for THAT kind of money. I am also assuming that the rebuilt Peach is electrically equivalent to a new one. That is one honey of a deal.6.gif