Recommend a Denon Receiver?

tashoemaker

Combination of the speakers and receiver I was planning on spending around $2000. The system 6 is a 5.1...that will suffice. My listening area will be about 25ft x 25ft. I'm also interested in knowing if the DTS capability on my DVD player will be sufficient in allowing me to get a receiver WITHOUT DTS capability.

Hmm, if memory serves me right, that leaves about $1000 for a receiver, right? Also, just to clarify, while the System 6 only has enough speakers in it for a 5.1 system, you could add another bookshelf speaker or center speaker to the rear for a 6.1 if the receiver you chose supports that.

For $1000, I think you can't go wrong with the Denon 3802. I think you can find it for about that price if you shop around. Also, its predecessor is the 3801, and can be had for a good price as it has been discontinued. I think the main difference is the 3801 does not have Dolby Pro II, but I'm not sure of the benefit of that.

Re using the DTS decoder in your Sony...First, I think it would be hard to find a receiver WITHOUT DTS for $1000. But if you did, you'd have to have 6 interconnect cables (one for each channel) going from the Sony to your receiver. I think that the DTS decoder on a $1000 receiver will be every bit as good, if not better, than the decoder in your Sony.

Doug

------------------

Denon AVR-3300

Acurus A200x3

NAD 7155 Receiver

Pioneer PD-F19 CD Changer

Sony CDP-C8ESD CD Changer

Denon 3000 DVD

Toshiba M784 VCR

B&O Beogram 1800 TT

Klipsch Chorus

Klipsch KV-3 Center

Klipsch SS-1 Surround

Klipsch KG4

Klipsch KG3

Klipsch Forte (2pr)

Velodyne CT120 Sub

Sony KP-43T75 RPTV

Monster HTS2000

AudioQuest Copperhead Interconnects

AudioQuest Slate Speaker Wire

Various other interconnects/cables

Well within that price range ($1,000) you have several good models by...Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, and Yamaha immediately come to mind. Models by these makers are reported to work well with Klipsch speakers. The Outlaw 1050 receiver is also reported to provide very good performance for its price. It offers 6.1 channels of digital processing for DTS, Dolby Digital, and has 6.1 channel playback, you could get an additional rear center channel speaker or sub with the savings. The 1050 is $499 and it's only available via internet sales. You can check it out at the following link: http://www.outlawaudio.com/home.html

I'm using the NAD T761 5.1 receiver with an Outlaw 750 5xChannel Amp (165x5). I'm very pleased with the performance of both units.

Good luck in your pursuit...Wes

----------------------------------------------

Main System Setup

NAD T 761 Receiver (Pre-outs to Outlaw)

Outlaw 750 5 Channel Amp

Klipsch Cornwalls (Front w/Outlaw)

Klipsch Heresy's (Front w/NAD)

Klipsch Academy (Center w/NAD)

Klipsch Cornwall (V) II's (Rear w/Outlaw)

Klipsch RS-3's (Rear w/NAD)

SVS SV20-39CS SUB (NAD 2400THX Bridged)

Klipsch KSW-12 (Sub)

Klipsch RF-3's (NAD T 761 "B" Channel)

Denon DVM-3700 DVD

Sony CDP-CA80ES

Sony MiniDisk Deck MDS-JE320

Mitsubishi Stereo VCR

Mitsubishi 52" Wide Screen

Sony Remote Commander RM-AV2100

Monster Cable HTS-3500 Audio/Video Power Conditioner

Bedroom HT Setup

Onkyo TX-DS484

Sony DVP-530D

Sony Dual Cassette Deck

Phillips Magnavox 27'

Klipsch Quintets (Front, Center & Surrounds)

Infinity SubWoofer

3rd System Setup - Listening Only

Sony Prologic Receiver STR-D1015

Sony CassetteTC-K444esII

DAK Stereo Power Controller

Technics Turntable SL-D2

Akiai GX-280D 4 Track Real

Klipsch Walnut Quartet's

2 EA. Quintet's

Klipsch Walnut KG2.2V Center

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 09-21-2001 at 05:12 AM

With that room size, and the money available, I would go with at least the 2802....but more so I would look at the 3802. Or if you are lucky....you might be able to find a 3801 on clearance or even a 4800 for around a $1000 on clearance. If DPL2 is a priority to you then look for the xx02 models, but if DPL2 isn't needed then the xx01 models will be your best value.

Good Luck

------------------

Klipsch Quartets - fronts

Klipsch Academy - center

Klipsch KG 1.5's - rear surrounds

Klipsch KG .5's - rear side surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-4800

Denon POA-5200 THX Amp (fronts)

Sony C-67ES CD Player

JVC 36D201 36" TV

JVC HR-S3600 SVHS Player

JVC XV-M565BK DVD Player

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box

Playstation 2

Monster Power HTS-2000

Monster Cable M-series Speaker Cable and subwoofer cable

Monster Component, S-Video, and Optical cables

RS HT Gold Interconnects

Hi Tony ---

based on recommendations here, I recently purchased a Denon 1801 AVR on eBay for approx. $300. It has been fantastic. I would expect the current Denon products to be even better.

After looking at the specs on the Denon line pretty carefully, I decided that I really didn't need the extra features and power of the current generation products so I went with the 1801, which allowed me to put more money into other parts of the system.

I believe you can't spend too much money on speakers and monitors. Electronics, on the other hand, I buy what meets my immediate needs because the technology and standards/formats move so fast.

Thanks for the replies....helping me out a lot. From what some of you say should I consider and upgrade on the speakers?? I thought the System 6 would be a good home theater system...nothing too elaborate. My real concern was a good receiver. I've also been told to plan on spending around $300 just for cables...told the cables make a big difference too.

Tashoemaker,

As you can see, you've got several good choices within the Denon line and well within your price range. Now as to interconnect cables as well as speaker wire. Those are real stimulating topics. There have been lengthy debates on this forum as to whether mid price or hi end cables and wires truly make a difference. The amount you spend will depend on your preference of manufacturer and type of cables & wire you desire. If you go to the main forum page and do a search on cables and wires, you'll find some interesting discussions on both topics! I've tried to avoid the debates because I have my personal preferences, which are not at the lower end of the spectrum, but I figure it my dime, my time, so I tend to avoid the cable/wire discussions.

Enjoy your systemWes

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 09-21-2001 at 06:57 PM

I will say this,

I had my Legend 20s bi-wired with some 12 gage Monster

Cable top and bottom and per a recomendation from one

of my audio dealers today I took the high end off and replaced it with some audioquest GLC four conductor wire using two for + and 2 for - and it made a heck of a difference in the clarity of the sound comming from the speakers.

He said it would not matter as much on the low.