Quartets as center and rear with Forte II's?

ajcllc

I started with a stock Quartet on its side for my center with Forte II fronts and surrounds. I then got a new motorboard built that tipped the horns 90 degrees to reposition them to the original horizontal plane (with the cabinet positioned on its side). But it wasn't until I replaced the K-76 and Quartet crossover with the Forte II's K-75 and crossover, that I was completely satisfied.

I assume you already know that the Quartet and Forte II share the same squawker (as does the Heresy II and Forte). Logically, one (ME) would assume each would be an ideal center for its respective larger incarnation.

If you search around a bit on these BBs, you will find (some) less than rave reviews from people trying to use a Heresy II as a center for the (original) Fortes. The main complaint being that they were a bit shrill and overpowering (which is somewhat interesting because it is rated a bit less efficient than the Forte - although I HAVE seen Fortes listed any where from 96 to 98dbs).

IMO, the same can probably be said about the Quartet/Forte II combo. Now don't get be wrong, it is GOOD, just not perfect. I have come to believe that the positioning of the center plays a large part in the overall satisfaction (actually the same can be said about 2 channel setups). It is unlikely that the mains (or surrounds) are toed-in such that the horns are aimed directly at your head. This IS most likely the case for the center however. Wouldn't it be great if you could easily adjust its height and angle with your remote 9.gif!

I believe the replacement to the K-75 and Forte II crossover definitely made a positive difference (caveat: I also may be crazy) - certainly a setup that I feel I can live a long time with. On the other hand, when using the test tone to setup speaker volumes, it still does not sound EXACTLY the same as the other four speakers (again most likely due to its position relative to the ear). However, when switching between Stereo and DTS/NEO6 (where the mains are fed the unaltered stereo signal - so I am told), the center channel absolutely disappears. For source material intended for surround, I doubt if you could get a better match - except another Forte II.

PS: Quartets in the intended positioning ARE TOO DAMN SHORT! They are a great little speaker thats base needs to be raised to the height of a Forte. Use Home Depot garden pavers if you have no other (more elegant)solutions 2.gif!

Thank for that jerohm.

One of the great values of the forum is when people give first hand experience in response to questions along with comments on the technology.

I was a little bit surprized you did not find a better match given the close similarities. OTOH, I have found that vertical placement is a critical issue, too.

Horn Ed, for one, was a big proponent of three identical speakers up front. So was the Bell Lab set up which PWK cited to so many times.

I have a Belle type between two K-Horn types in one set up. The center does not match in sound, I'll admit. Yet the center fill does work.

There is a technical issue and a political-financial-decorating vectors too.

Technically we want things to be perfect.

Yet realistically, how close to perfect does a center channel have to be to be good, and what will keep people away from getting to that level.

For example. Some folks reading your very good post would think it is not worth doing unless there is a perfect match. On the other hand, people have some poor centers and find them good enough to not considering something better.

Thanks again for a very informative post.

Gil

There is no doubt that quartets should be a good match. Don't they share the same tweeter as the Academy? Plus the Academy tweeter as I recall is positioned vertically between the woofers. Depending on your set-up you may have to shield the Quartet for the center, of course.

The mid horn is tractrix, but the tweeter horn is an exponential. The Chorus II, Forte II, and Quartet all use the same K-61-K midrange driver, but I'm not sure if the same horn lens is used in all three. I suppose I could take the grills of my Chorus IIs and Quartets and compare.