Caps!?!

Anakin26

Good evening.

I am not a whizz kid when it comes to the advanced electrical stuff.

I am trying to buy the components needed to do the mod on my crossovers. The problem is, that it seems that the values I need are not availiable. I am looking to buy Mundorf parts.

Caps, resistors, maybe inductors.

Now here is what I need and what I can get:

Needed: Availiable:

5uF 4.7 / 5.6 uF

12uF 10 / 15 uF

and so on.

Same with the resistors:

2 ohms 1.8 / 2.2 ohms

Now my question is:

Can I use parts that do not have the exact values? I guss this will bias the sound in some way.

Can I "stack" parts. Say a 4.7 cap + a 0.3 cap to make it 5? Will these values add or not?

Questions and even more questions.

Nick

Wiring them in parallel is quite acceptible.

For instance, a 13uF can be achieved by two that are approx half the value (i.e., 6 + 7). Such a combination may even provide minimal resistance in the circuit.

Alternatively, some will use one that is about 10% of the first (i.e., 12 + 1.2 hypothetically). This is sometimes termed a "bypass" configuration. This second approach may not provide minimal resistance, however. Bypassing is sometimes favored by certain folks, but the jury is out on whether it acually provides some of the supposed advantages.

Good luck,

-Tom

Most of the caps are designed at 5 or 10% tolerances. So a 5.0 uF cap has a variance at 10% of 4.5 to 5.5 uF, and a 5%, 4.75 to 5.25 uF. Being off by a small amount isn't that big a problem. If you want accurate numbers, look at another manufacturer.

Of course there are other very good caps out there. I will add Hovland and Jensen to the list. It depends what you want. Hovland will add more detail with Jensen having a more relaxed presentation.

On the caps, you are actually better off by coupling them in parallel to lower the ESR value which is a rating of how fast a cap can accept and discharge energy. It is best to stay with the values you have unless you have studied your speaker responses and have determined a different slope or cross point. There is generally much research and data collected to tackle this.

Most of your stock units will have about 5% tolerance and your aftermarket products will be the same. Changing your values will work if you check exact values of stock and new parts and determine them to be the same. I am not an expert with crossovers but hold a degree in a related field. Changing values without doing your homework may result in a very poor solution, or should I say resolution.

The resistors are the same way only series wiring will increase resistance by addition and parallel will decrease by equation. Please refer to link for help. IE, a 5ohm and 1ohm don't equal 4ohms in parallel. That would be 6 ohms in series and 2.220omhs in parallel. How this helps.

http://www.answers.com/topic/resistor-1

Okay. I think I got the point. Simply from a "clean looks" point of view I would prefer finding parts that do have the right values and avoid doubles to reach a certain value.

The big advantage with Mundorf is, that they are located in Germany, right next to Austria. I know that global shipping makes distance relative, but I still like the idea of buying a product from the neighbourhood (okay... very, very sort off....).

I will give them a call tomorrow and see, what they say. It´s just a guess, but I am pretty sure they will come up with a solution using Mundorf parts! 2.gif

Thanks for the quick answers!

Nick

PS: @ Dean: Is there a reason why one should leave the inductors on the x-overs as they are? I mean, stick with the original ones....

"Please refer to link for help. IE, a 5ohm and 1ohm don't equal 4ohms in parallel. That would be 6 ohms in series and 2.220omhs in parallel. How this helps."

5R in parallel with 1R is 0.83333333333333333333333333333333R.

Add the 1/R values and then your answer is 1/sum.

1/5=0.2 1/1=1 0.2+1=1.2 1/1.2=0.83

Hi everybody.

I talked to one of the chief developers at Mundorf today and he told me pretty much the same things as you guys. ... which shows how good this forum really is! 9.gif

He said, that in some cases it is actually better to stack the caps in parallel as this will increase discharge speed and by that improve the sound. This will however have no effect with their new silver/gold caps due to their highly advanced...blablabla.... then it got really technical. 14.gif

Anyways. He told me to measure all the values of the components and send him a diagram. He will then sort out, which parts I need and which make sense. Now thats what I call great service!

Thanks everyone.

Nick

5R in parallel with 1R is 0.83333333333333333333333333333333R.

Add the 1/R values and then your answer is 1/sum.

1/5=0.2 1/1=1 0.2+1=1.2 1/1.2=0.83

========================================================

Thanks for your correction. If you look at my solutions, you will see a simple error of computing a 5 and 4ohm resistor in parallel in stead of the 5 and 1ohm. I don't have all day to spend on forums nor did I check my answers. I assure my education in math is VERY up to nuff. I just apologize for the error.

Thanks for posting the pic. Did you use the clamps, to be able to make changes in the wiring if needed?

I thought about mounting the 10ohm resistor recommended by Dean on the board and then find a way to "switch" it on or off. This way I would have a chance to switch between factory and DeanG sound.

I will let you know if i find a good solution.

Nick

Hehe! Good one! 9.gif

Maybe we should buy them in large numbers at HD and sell them as audiophile HQ gator clamp.

"The new, revolutionary Audio-Gator will instantly improve all of your internal audio connections. From speaker to crossover from crossover to terminal. Audio-Gator increases eletrical flow, transparency and dynamics. At only 49.99,- per pair they are the ultimate audiophile bargain."

I love my job.... 10.gif

Nick