How to sell off antique piano?

Audio Flynn

I have a full size upright piano from Maher Bros. in Jackson, Michigan.

I think it was made in the 1915 -1925 time frame. I have had it for 18 years.

It is in fair condition ivory key a bit delaminated, 2 hammers broke and felt missing from one of the pedal mechanisms.

Great sounding sustain to me.

Could the sounding board be all brass?

I kept it around for the kids but all the younger ones have taken up different instruments. It is getting in the way.

Not looking to get a "priceless antique price"; but I would use the proceeds to get additional instruments for the home.

Suggestions on how to find a estimate of value or methods to sell?

Thanks

Rick

I'd suggest finding a local piano shop and/or appraiser. They could give you an idea, I'd think. You've probably Googled around. I didn't find much useful that way when I got the family Sohmer.

I found a little shop locally, pretty unassuming from the street. It was a clock & piano shop. Well, when I walked in, I saw about a dozen grands of various size, a truckload of fancy clocks, and over in the corner, three organs. The guy was helping other customers, so I told him to take his time, and took a look around. I saw he had some horn loaded speakers for the organs, and they looked like new. And besides all the new, gimmicky expensive clocks, he had a handful of old, simple, classy clocks.

I struck up a conversation about the above, and shot the breeze for a little bit. He was very helpful about our piano's relative quality. When I told him the maker, he repeated the name fondly, as if recalling a retired coworker.

Anyway, there may be some local history, as there were just tons of local instrument makers back then, especially for something so cumbersome to transport as a piano.

What instruments are you considering? I think it's great that, though the piano might not have been of use, you're keeping music in the home, and that the kids are interested in music making. I'm the only kid from five that didn't get piano lessons (by the time I was old enough, we couldn't afford them...), but I'm the only one of us actively involved in music. I do remember my folks showing me the sotte voce pedal, and regulary encouraging its liberal use, though, as I explored the instrument regardless of direction.

Hate to tell you this, but the piano is probably not worth that much. There were many upright pianos made during the early part of the 20th century due to the demand, but most serious players don't want them. They often have cracked sound boards and won't hold tune well.

Usually you see them advertised as 'old piano, recently tuned' precisely because they don't stay tuned long at all.

Broken hammers and missing felts depress an already low value.

Best of luck,

Woo

Hate to tell you this, but the piano is probably not worth that much. There were many upright pianos made during the early part of the 20th century due to the demand, but most serious players don't want them. They often have cracked sound boards and won't hold tune well.

+++++++++++++++++

Sound board seems OK.

I was hoping to maybe find a person whose great grandfather worked at the factory and wanted one for the family rememberance.

Not looking for any serious $ from it.

Good point. Pricing could vary from "free if you haul it away" to a few grand. Most likely somewhere in between. If it is of some value, there may be an auction house or something locally that could broker a better price than the classifieds.

----------------

On 8/17/2005 10:20:57 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

Sound board seems OK.

I was hoping to maybe find a person whose great grandfather worked at the factory and wanted one for the family rememberance.

Not looking for any serious $ from it.

----------------

That is a very cool goal. Best of luck in that.

Woo

I have been through the same thing. I have a 1914 Aeolian Player Piano with about 300 rolls. My father restored it in the early 70's, & it still works perfectly today.

I would like to unload it, but have not been able to find a buyer. Most of these on e-bay go for about $1000. I understand that it may not sound that great, but usually antiques have a certain value anyway.

The broken parts can be repaired, and the cost shouldn't be that much. The soundboard would be wood. Most pianos you find have iron frames with the wood attached. Makes them very heavy, but far more durable.

Friends of my family had two player pianos in their basement. When they moved from central Illinois to the Bahamas (job transfer), they tried to find someone who would take them, but ended up dismantling them and having them hauled away. It was a shame. They had a small collection of rolls for them.

Our first piano was a Fender Rhodes. We donated it to a family who still uses it. Not much of a real piano sound, but it meant thay had a piano for the kids to learn on. Isn't nearly as susceptible to temp and humidity as real pianos.

We now have a smallish Currier, and while not a Bosendorfer, it has served us well.

Bruce

Guest Anonymous

I would suggest calling Impression 5 science museum (tax write-off), I know that they take items like this, I would also try MSU music department.

By the way, the Stero Shope here in Lansing has some NICE LPs for sale(600+) in excellant condition and priced cheap. They belonged to an audiophile and the widow is selling them off. They also have a AMC hybrid tube amp.

Regards

Tony C.

P3151857_p2.jpg

I've got an 1898 Steinway & Sons upright with a few dead keys that I'd love to give away, but my mom bought the damn thing back in the '90s for a grand and she wants to keep it in the family. I don't know why...no one ever plays it. She wanted to take piano lessons when she bought it, but never took the time to learn (she's continuously glued to the boob tube). Since my folks moved up to CT in '99, they didn't take it with them so my bro's and I are stuck with it. It is a nice antique piano in decent shape...the repairs would be minor, and once it's all tuned up, it'd probably have a really decent sound; for an upright.

post-11084-1381926926936_thumb.jpg