I just saved $10K on speaker cables!!!

pauln

If there are any $10K speaker cables, what would their attributes be? In the same way that the perfect amplifier is a wire with gain, the perfect speaker cables would be wires without gain, without loss, without change to frequency response - they would have no effect on the sound whatsoever, right? It would be as if they did not exit at all, right?

Well, I was reattaching speaker cables to my LaScalas and was disappointed again that the connectors are so cheap. When I tighten them down they turn a little bit which scares me because I imagine that the wires behind the connectors that go to the crossover are moving around and may short or fall loose. So I unscewed the plate that houses the connectors and released the wires to the crossover, which are about two feet long - and connected them directly to my monoblocks. Now I have no speaker wires, and this condition gives me the same spec/attributes as if I was using the most expensive cables made, right?

Now that I have saved $10K, what should I spend it on?

Paul

----------------

On 8/21/2005 11:19:48 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Records, of course.----------------

Allan, correct as usual. Do you have any? I like jazz as I know it which is very limited. What would a pack of two dozen cross spectrum solid jazz albums run these days (I'm a guitar player, so a couple of them should be included)? How would you feel about assembling a jazz starter kit for a guy with a good ear for music?

Thanks,

Paul

PS: One of my favorite jazz albums is John McLaughlin's "Extrapolation" late 60's. Bass, drums, sax, guitar - Ever heard it?

----------------

On 8/21/2005 11:17:04 PM pauln wrote:

Paul

----------------

Paul...I'm so glad you asked!!! 2.gif9.gif

You have just not looked at the right cables!

I think I have just the thing that you and everyone else is looking for! ...Just what every audiophile needs to make that $20,000 TT sing! 9.gif9.gif

These should start you salivating! 3.gif

http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/1613

...And for those of you out there who might suspect that there may be just a hint of wry humor here, don't even go there! This is serious bidness! ...Of course for those you can't figure that out, you probably already have several pair of these cables, so you will be complaining that this is old news! Oh well....

----------------

On 8/21/2005 11:53:48 PM dragonfyr wrote:

----------------

On 8/21/2005 11:17:04 PM pauln wrote:

Paul

----------------

Paul...I'm
so
glad you asked!!!
2.gif9.gif

You have just not looked at the
right
cables!

I think I have just the thing that you and everyone else is looking for! ...Just what
every
audiophile
needs to make that $20,000 TT
sing!
9.gif9.gif

These should start you salivating!
3.gif

...And for those of you out there who
might
suspect that there may be
just
a hint of wry humor here, don't
even
go there! This is
serious bidness!
...Of course for those you can't figure that out, you probably already have
several
pair of these cables, so you will be complaining that this is
old
news! Oh well....

----------------

I guess I did better than I thought - at $5700/meter I really saved closer to $50K! Allan, get me that package of jazz albums ready - I'm loaded!

Paul

----------------

On 8/21/2005 11:41:07 PM pauln wrote:

PS: One of my favorite jazz albums is John McLaughlin's "Extrapolation" late 60's. Bass, drums, sax, guitar - Ever heard it?

----------------

A decent sampler of John McLaughlin's lengthy and brilliant career is "This Is Jazz."

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000002AEG/qid%3D1124687144/

----------------

On 8/22/2005 12:16:29 AM Parrot wrote:

----------------

On 8/21/2005 11:41:07 PM pauln wrote:

----------------

A decent sampler of John McLaughlin's lengthy and brilliant career is "This Is Jazz."

----------------

Paul,

I've been a lead guitar player for the last 30 years. Back in the old days I listened to Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, Mountain, and Grand Funk RR, and others (old Pink Floyd, Yes, ELP, King Crimson...) trying to find something good to listen to. In 1972 my roommate got a new stereo and bought Inner Mounting Flame and Birds Of Fire. We sat down and listened to both all the way through. It was the first time I had heard something that I could not remember immediately afterward - and I fell in love with JM. He's my guitar hero and has been since then. Others have tried to do it. Larry Corryel (sp?) just sounds like he is playing in the wrong key. Al DeMeola is to mechanical. Pat Metheney sounds cool at first but gets boring pretty fast. John has the ability to play just the right notes - even when on first impression you might thing they are the wrong notes. He has a true musical sense and is willing to try things that really take you to the edge. He also likes to play with unusual musicians and he finds really good ones to play with.

"Extrapolation" was done when JM was in his early 20's - after his work with Miles Davis. Its an amazing and timeless album. The sax player is phenominal. The whole groove on this album is bebop cool, and this with an acoustic guitar with a soundhole-mounted pickup!

I've only been to a couple of concerts in my life. One was JM in San Antonio in 1976 (Jeff Beck opened for him). Words can't descibe it - I still remember it like it was last month.

Pauln

I've got that Extrapolation album!

Those were my HS days in the NYC area and while I'd see everybody from Phil Ochs, The Allman Brothers, to Ornette Coleman--the band I HAD to see every time they played locally was Mahavishnu.... Loved them.

Pauln,

While waitng for Allan's list I'll throw out two suggestions for jazz/guitar.

(My tastes are early, and a distinct minority interest--so use caution.)

In jazz guitar I am particularly fond of the source, an Italian kid from Philadelphia: Eddie Lang. He was the first. Recorded mainly in the late 20's with EVERYONE.

He even recorded blues stuff with Lonnie Johnson in 1928-29 (Lang used the name Blind Willy Dunn).

Died in 1933 from a botched tonsillectomy.

Jumping off the deep end would have you buy the Mosaic Box set of Joe Venuti (jazz violinist who played with Lang often) and Eddie Lang.

And a couple years later there is the better known and more pyrotechnic Django Reinhardt.

No hesitation in suggesting the 'Classic Early Recordings' box set from JSP (this was before JSP began ripping off remasters). Wonderful recordings....great things with Coleman Hawkins....etc. And its cheap at $25 for 5 CDs.

Mark

Pauln:

I didn't realize you were already very familiar with John McLaughlin. Sorry for recommending a sampler to you, but it would be a good starter for someone else.

One of the absolute best concerts I ever attended was Shakti in early 1976. It was held in an old chapel. McLaughlin and L Shankar and the others were all dressed in white, sat on a big Persian rug, and had the small audience of a few hundred spellbound for hours. The performance was way better than their first live album, and the performances of the songs that would later be released on Shakti's second (studio) album were also far superior. I sure wish I had taped concerts back then.