Mono BLISS!!

While on vacation two weeks ago, I managed to pick up a few LPs, no big deal in and of itself. I filed them away and when I got home, I set them aside for cleaning and listening. One of the LPs I picked up was a copy of Duke Ellington at Newport, 1956. Sure after cleaning there were the few pops and crackles from a used but loved LP and they were easy enough to ignore but let me tell you that the $10 I spent for the record was some of the best investment in music I could have done! Sure it was a bit high for the LP but MAN is it a WONDERFULL LISTEN!!

The Duke had written a number for the festival and it was ok but the audience started to leave after it and he reached back into his music kit and came out with Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue (a 20 year old number) and the people started coming back. It was an AWESOME performance of the number, with Paul Gonsalves playing 27 choruses of a tenor sax solo with the audience demanding four encores!

I was fully involved in the performance, part of the audience that was there that night, hanging on each note with my feet jumping while I had an ear to ear grin!

Also played that night was âJeepâs Bluesâ which was written for a long time Ellington band member, Alto sax player âRabbitâ Johnny Hodges. His live performance that night was one to remember. To quote a review of his performance,

â âJeep's Bluesâ was an Ellington vehicle for his premiere alto saxophonist whom the composer lovingly called âRabbit.â Johnny Hodges was one of Duke Ellington's most faithful band members and was rewarded with several compositions written specifically for him. Over the simple and familiar theme of the song, Hodges played the most embarrassingly sensual solos ever recorded. In addition, particularly in the final chorus, he perfected big band blues playing on the alto saxophoneââ¦â¦. âThe live âJeep's Bluesâ is loud and virile. With a testosterone-fueled swagger, this song builds a dense and perfectly balanced momentum. The studio version of this song is down right bashful by comparison as are Hodges' timid soloing. âJeep's Bluesâ was the highlight- that in the face of fifty years of writing.â

The recording has been released on CD and the original LP sold hundreds of thousands of copies, more than any other record the Duke ever made. This has got to be a must have recording for anyone who loves Jazz. I stumbled on to it, BUT YOU HAVE BEEN TOLD! If you donât listen to it, it is your fault!!

The review I quoted is at:

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=18624

That piece was one of the featured segments on NPR's 'American Routes' a few weeks back. Nick Spitzer (sp?) had an interview with one of the horn players. That performance was a turning point in Ellington's career, as it took off again after faltering quite a bit.

Killer music! I agree!

Woo

----------------

On 8/23/2005 11:01:53 AM Guy Landau wrote:

Using a mono cartridge is recommended too.....
----------------

I'm about to find out. I have a nice SPU mono that I'm having rebuilt as we speak--new cantilever and conical stylus. It's a later one that can be used with a stereo tonearm--not as good as having a mono-only set-up, but it's the best I can do.

I also have a pair of Jorgen Shou tranformers on their way from Denmark--I got a really good deal on them and am anxious to hear them--you know, after hearing and reading all the hype over the years. I don't know if they'll trounce either the Altec/Peerless ones I've had for ten years or the "in the headshell" transformers found in many SPUs, but we'll see (and hear)soon enough.

What is the best source for a new one? I see them at 700 Euros and that doesn't seem all that cheap to me! But then I tend to be penurious when it comes to stuff like this--I've gotten too many good deals over the years I suppose! I am just the OPPOSITE when it comes to LPs--I'll plunk down $500 for a record and not even blink. Weird, huh?

Mine is being done over in Australia by a fellow who worked for Garrot for many years. He did an SPU-G for me three years ago and I was very happy with the results.