I want to hear more about DIY jubilees!!!!!!

sunnysal

Dean, I took the other one off since it was a little suggestive...the new one is simply my friends and I at the local shooting range practicing. everyone in el salvador is armed since their is virtually no police force and the criminals are all armed to the teeth. I do not carry weapons during the day, my bodyguards do, but I do have weapons in the house for if/when they try to get in, no one to call for help remember. el salvador still has the highest murder rate in the western hemisphere. If the pic really offends people I will swap again. regards, tony

btw Bigdnfay, looks nice so far! give us some details (I am sure I am not the only guy interested) on driver selection, crossover points, how it sounds, etc. thanks!

Big D, that is SWEET looking!

If I remember correctly, you're running the Selenium 405ti on the mids, how do you like them? I've been thinking about trying them myself, but I'm WAITING FOR YOUR OPINION (!).

The crossover remains a mystery though... fill us in!

DM

Hey guys,

Thanks for the kind words. Been kinda busy this summer and haven't had a chance to finish them. I'll get around to it next month when things slow down a little.

I've tried to keep the Heritage look and not go to far over the top.The woofers I used are the Pioneer A30Gu40-51D from Parts Express. The mid is a Selenium D405Ti 2" Titanium w/ a p-audio knock-off horn from Goldwood. The tweeter is a Jbl 2404. The crossover is ALK's ES700 design. ES7500 to be added soon.

I love the way they sound. The bottom end (40 to 100hz) is alittle weak at low volume, but when played around 90db or higher they really shine. I tried several different mids and the 405 got my vote. None of them really had the sparkle I wanted so I decided to add a tweeter and that did the trick.

I have been working on the upper grills but don't quite have the right design worked out yet.

This has really been a fun project....so far.

Big D

That's a setup that I'm somewhat familiar with!

I'm running Selenium D305 phenolics on my P-audio horns, ES600T/ES5800, with the JBL 2404H tweets.

I'd bet that they sound quite a bit like yours.

Again congrats on a nice build, I wish I could hear them! Turn them up a bit!

DM

D-Man, what's the speaker in your avatar? Nice looking.

Thanks Greg! Coming from you, that's a real compliment! I have admired your work for quite some time...

That's one of my DIY corner horns in cherry, but it's not a Jubilee. It has a single 15" driver just like the Khorn, so it's sort of halfway between a Jubilee and a Khorn.

The sun was shining on a spot on the floor in front of one, reflecting on it so I had to take a picture... yes, that's an old shirt behind the tweeter to put the crossover on so it doesn't scratch up that darn top!

DM

post-13458-13819269616198_thumb.jpg

Hi D-man, it sure does look great. What are you using for the mid horn, lens and tweeter?

**edit** never mind D-man, I was reading this thread a few days ago and must have missed this

"I'm running Selenium D305 phenolics on my P-audio horns, ES600T/ES5800, with the JBL 2404H tweets."

D-Man, what's the speaker in your avatar? Nice looking.

Thanks Greg! Coming from you, that's a real compliment! I have admired your work for quite some time...

That's one of my DIY corner horns in cherry, but it's not a Jubilee. It has a single 15" driver just like the Khorn, so it's sort of halfway between a Jubilee and a Khorn.

The sun was shining on a spot on the floor in front of one, reflecting on it so I had to take a picture... yes, that's an old shirt behind the tweeter to put the crossover on so it doesn't scratch up that darn top!

DM

D man, great work! What plans did you follow or is this piece based on your parameters?

Hey guys,

Thanks for the kind words.

Been kinda busy this summer and haven't had a chance to finish them.

I'll get around to it next month when things slow down a little.

I've

tried to keep the Heritage look and not go to far over the top.The

woofers I used are the Pioneer A30Gu40-51D from Parts Express. The mid

is a Selenium D405Ti 2" Titanium w/ a p-audio knock-off horn from

Goldwood. The tweeter is a Jbl 2404. The crossover is ALK's ES700

design. ES7500 to be added soon.

I love the way they sound.

The bottom end (40 to 100hz) is alittle weak at low volume, but when

played around 90db or higher they really shine. I tried several

different mids and the 405 got my vote. None of them really had the

sparkle I wanted so I decided to add a tweeter and that did the trick.

I have been working on the upper grills but don't quite have the right design worked out yet.

This has really been a fun project....so far.

Big D

Big D, you mentioned trying several different mids,

which ones. I read an earlier post that you were thinking about the

Radian 905, did you try it and how did it sound. It looks like a

little too much $$ for me. I was looking at the Selenium

D3305ti or the D3300ti with the HM-4750-SLF lens. Did you happen to

try one of these or does anyone have an opinion on them? Oh, what about

the 408ti? So many questions. lol I have been away from the forum

for a few months and ran into this thread on my return. I have been like

a kid in a candy store for the last couple of days catching up on the last six

months worth of post.

swells..good to see you back!

It's been a long road(for me) trying to figure out the right driver combination. I tried the altec 807 with the 511b and the 811b horns and the jbl 2426 with the same horns. Neither had the upper sparkle I was looking for. I was looking at the radian, but as you said, alittle pricey. I really wanted to maintain the original concept of a 2-way system but with the $$ I had available that wasn't going to happen. As per D-man's recommendation, I looked at the selenium drivers. The 405ti looked promising, even though it's an 8 ohm driver, the ALK ES700 allowed for some attenuation. The 405ti has a smooth response and a warm tone that appeals to me, but still didn't give me the sparkle I was looking for. So adding a tweeter seemed to be the answer(jbl 2404). I have not auditioned any of the drivers you mentioned but I'm sure someone here in the forum can give you some insight.

Big D