Sold my only klipsch's! What do I do now?

Erukian

tacoma wa, 98444. some 35 or so miles south of seattle WA.

If anyone is selling, please PM me, i'd at least like to talk to

someone about it, otherwise i'll probably just end up going with a

non-klipsch brand. I can't keep listening to these crappy replacement

speakers for a whole month :)

-Joe

I'd go with a Klipsch RF series speaker with a modified crossover by Dean, with his resistor mod tweaked especially for you to lay back the horn. Call him up and he should hook you up. He may charge extra since he doesn't like to do custom stuff to a customers request. But, still call him and demand it! You will like what you end up with over any other brand speaker made.......

I don't have a lot of experience with Klipsch but you must understand that with high efficiency speakers, like Klipsch or others, that your upstream components need to be of the finest quality. Any amplifier distortion, CDP harshness and grain will be brought to the light. The harshness you are hearing may not be the speakers fault but your upstream gear.

Enjoy!

and .. CJ ....

the Forte ... is 10x the speaker the Heresey is .....for a $100 more

Duke, that may be. I am the first to admit that I've only heard Fortes twice in my life (both w/ HT only). They sounded good, but I was not overly impressed. So, I went with Cornwalls and Heresys because I have the most experience with them and appreciate their sound. There is no doubt that the specs of the Forte are more impressive than the Heresy.

However, my opinion may change the more I get to listen to Fortes with different equipment. A quick audition with music would do the trick.

Carl.

erukian - If you're able to find some vintage Klipsch speakers local,

listen to them, and like them - great! However, if you can't, I'd

suggest looking at some speakers from Paradigm. From my

experience, they're very well built and have great sound for a very

reasonable price.

Energy, Wharfedale, and Polk are some other speaker manufacturers that

stand out as

being 'warm' and 'smooth.' If you're looking for that 'harsh',

'bright', 'detailed' sound, but maybe just a little less so than

Klipsch or don't want to invest in the quality components you need to

run Klipsch, you may want to look at Inifinity, Boston Acoustics, and

Definitive Technology, the latter being my personal preference.

(I've even heard some say B&W speakers are a little harsh.) I

would recommend staying away from Inifinity (just threw them in there

because they have metal tweeters). I've actually never heard

(well, never even seen) Boston Acoustics home audio speakers (though I

have components from them in my Jeep).

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

• 2 weeks later...

look for some forte's, i picked up a set this summer for 400.00 and

they are awsome.... loads of base and a very nice overall speaker,

imho. if you find a deal you might be able to take the "left over $"

and get some new vinyl or cd's. just a thought. i think forte's

would be nice in a room the size you have, possibly better that

heresy's? i am not an expert so please use your own judgement since

yours is the the one that counts.

Going against almost all the good advice i've gotten in this forum, i made the plunge and bought a pair of Onix reference 1's.

I couldn't find a pair of Klipsch heritage within 50 miles of my home, and I honestly can't buy something that I've never heard. To me that makes no sense, even though everyone on the net is shouting "buy cornwalls!"

So I got them for $500 w/ a little nick on the bottom (like that matters). and a 30 day return policy in case I don't like em.

My impressions so far are fantastic. I got to demo:

Totem Model 1's

Polk LSi9

Polk LSi7

Sonus Faber Concerto

Sonus Faber Concertino

Axiom M22

Martin Logan Mosaic

Boston Acoustics VR-M60

Even after i listened to these, to me the Ref1's (demoed at an owners house) beat them all overall. For demoing I would take notes on what i felt the sound quality was like. Asking myself questions like "is it too smooth?" "is the bass tipped up on the lower end?" "are the mids muddy?" "how's the imaging?" etc etc. For me, spending $500 on a $1500 speaker w/ a return policy seemed like a no brainer.

Sure--now that i'm running a 88dB/sens pair of speakers, I can't crank it to high heaven (110db) and beyond before clipping on my Teac since these are 4ohm speakers. But these Ref1's are probably the only speakers that sounded natural doing acoustic work and drums (the full range, think dream theater - blueman group).

The polks made everthing warm and smooth, same w/ the bostons, which is UCKY! I feel like all realism is lost when everything is smoothed over. The Ref1's Vifa XT25 tweeter does a great job giving the realism that i remember from horns, without any sibilance or listening fatigue. it has a touch of harshness but that's necessary i've come to believe for a tweeter to sound real.

The mids blow my old RB-25's out of the water and pretty much everything costing under $1500 at magnolia, i would have to spend $2000 there for the onix to start getting serious competition. These directly compete with the Totem's. The Ref1's out-do the totems in imaging, but the totems out-do it in neutrality.

So i think i'm gonna stick with these. Their not as bright/harsh as the RF-7's.. which is a blessing and a curse, since on some music (jazz) the sax's sound SO real sometimes on the RF-7's, but the RF7's to me lack the imaging of presence. Like with my Onix speakers i literally feel like the sound starts about 10 feet behind and extends 15 feet to each side past my walls with every square foot of the stage clear. my Onix speakers just sound better than anything i've tried, the RF7's out-did it in some areas (but definitely not soundstage and off axis listening)

So yep, i made my own decision and i'm happy living with it. Is this a "so long fellows, it was fun while it lasted post?" nope, i'll still post here now and then.. w/ school starting next week i'll probably be here a lot less.

So thanks for all the advice in this thread peeps.

-Joe

Never heard of them. That being said, I checked out the website. Pretty costly, but beautiful boxes. If the drivers are worth a hoot ( 'Atohm' woofers? ), I'm sure they will do you proud. I myself have one pair of non-Klipsch speakers among my collection. Happens to be the speakers I hear the most. Dahlquist M905, which is a beautiful yet inefficient 8" two way system with NO HORN. These were my 'jazz' speakers when I was in college, and now reside in my home office. Love em! The most important thing is that they have very smooth response at low levels.

Just for giggles, I'm going to swap out some of my Reference speakers in this room, to see if I like Klipsch better though. So thanks for the challenge.

Michael