Will these woofers really work in CW's?

intotubes

I don't think they would improve over the K-33.

We would have to qualify what would be considered to be an "improvement", of course.

If we had some T/S params, we would be better able to determine the expected results.

Some "guesses":

I would expect that these MIGHT exhibit a lower Fs (<30Hz) than the current K33E based on the era, and that in itself COULD be an "improvement". Also the magnet(s) are shielded for use close to a crt. The frame certainly looks like a K33...I would guess that these would certainly be a reasonably compatable replacement, but not really enough to go on.

DM

It really would be a crap shoot.

Without having the T/S parameters, you are setting yourself up for a series of headaches. The cabinet geometry, porting, crossover, insulation are all designed and tweaked for the specific driver.

The K-33 is a good driver already. Is there some aspect or deficiency that you are concerned about?

Good Luck,

-Tom

Actually, the K33E is a T/S-based crap shoot, too. We know the T/S params for it, but they are really not a good match to the Klipsch Heritage applications as far as formulaic determinations are concerned. Actually, I think the K33E is chosen for its performance in the Khorn as a bass horn driver specific to the Khorn and in a reflex-ported application, it is an also-ran.

However, we can all HEAR the results of PWK's empirical testing, and that ain't to bad! The K33E can be bettered though, but usually at more cost.

If these can be "gotten" for less than the price of K33E's then go for it.

But YES, it's a crap shoot for sure, and we all know that the K33E will work, so it's a known comodity.

DM

The K-33 is a good driver already. Is there some aspect or deficiency that you are concerned about?

No, nothing wrong with my corn's that a cap replacement won't cure. Saw the auction. Got me thinking about the compatibilty and relationship between old driver manufacturers. Were there really that many making vastly different drivers? I mean did PWK have a boat load to choose from or a relatively small pool from which there are still many to be found hiding in old consoles and the like? I like finding old consoles. I think they are cool. A friend's dad has an old tube Magnavox. I wanted it bad but his dad fired it up one night and was suprised it still worked (me too considering the possibilty of shorted caps). So he decided to keep it. I don't think his wife wants it in the house. I'm still hoping.

"Seems like this guy has been parting out some old consoles.

He says they will make a good (better?) replacement woofer for newer CW's.

I dunno. Anyone?"

Little slugs, one inch voice coils, and overpriced.

I really doubt the drivers can even get close to a fs of 30 Hz.

If they were in consoles, then they more than likely are a open-baffle design.

To outperform the old generic Eminence K-33, it would take a way more spendy driver. That's the beauty of the K-33......

Some early eighties vintage Fostex lab series 15's float my boat, but they were a 500 dollar driver back then.