what to match with the Belles

jgatty

I am not exactly sure about the need for rescuing, but another Belle or a

LaScala would be an excellent match for the center and this would be my choice. Few others would match as well.

So I guess that you are just 'stuck' using another Belle or LaScala! More should be 'stuck' with such a problem![;)]

For the sake of discussion,I would also be curious to know how a Cornwall or CornScala would match, simply as I have not heard them next to the Belles or LaScalas.

While I would normally recommend a horn loaded center for horn loaded mains, I think a Cornwall would work great at center between a pair of Belle's. La Scala is an option but it is so much deeper than the Belle's, I think the Cornwall would be a better fit. Obviously, the another Belle would be the best choice.

There is a guy on AudioGon selling a pair of Belle's about 65 miles from me, I have sent him a couple of emails, but I have yet to receive a response.

I use a La Scala between my Klipschorn's.

EDIT: He responded this morning and is a member of the forum, I posted a link to his ad on AudioGon in the General Section.

While I would normally recommend a horn loaded center for horn loaded mains, I think a Cornwall would work great at center between a pair of Belle's.

I actually had a Belle as a center between two Cornwalls and found it to be a great companion. I would think the reverse setup would be just as pleasing as Frzninvt suggests!

I have to respectfully disagree. I ran a nice Vertical Cornwall in between two Belles. Initially, it sounded fine, but the more movies and multi-channel music I listened to, the more and more distracting the Cornwall became. To my ears, it was the different nature of the bass response (and the different balance of the respective speakers) that made the Cornwall sound different from the Belles. The Belles' horn loaded bass is tighter, and while there is bass, it is not dominant as opposed to the midrange or upper horn. In contrast, the Cornwall's bass sounded to me much more prominent (with a bit less up top and midrange). So, you have a bass heavy speaker shouting out between two outside speakers where the upper and midrange is more emphasized. In comparison, a Belle in between two Cornwalls would probably not be as noticeable since the outer bass heavy speakers converge in the center anyway. I was lucky enough to eventually find a center Belle and the improvement was noticeable.

So, in my opinion, a Cornwall center would be much better than some other options (going outside the Heritage line - for example). A Heresy as a center might even work better than a Cornwall to tide you over until you find a Belle or LaScala since the Cornwall is such a powerful performer at the bass position. Of course, then you get into discussion as to whether a Heresy can "keep up" with the Belles. Go ahead and adjust your respective levels and I think you might be fine.

A matching Belle or a LaScala would be the best option, and I would still shoot for one.

However, different peoples' ears hear different things.

Carl.

I will add for what it is worth.... The Center Cornwall Vertical (now horizontal on the side) between a pair of Klipshorns works great! Probably because the K horns do have lower bass too. It is different.. yes, but you really need a full range speaker for a center... and figureing out a K horn center is kinda tough IMO. The added benefit is it only does have to fire straight forward, so off axis is not a problem. With k horns you need a huge sounding full range speaker.. The Cornwall does a great job of this IMO.

And yes that is what I have upstairs.. I tried the La Scala, I just like this better!.

And again, jgaddy, make sure you take my comments in the proper context. A Cornwall as a center would be much, much better than options outside the line, but the Belle would be optimal - and well worth it. And how different your front three sound can either be very important (or not) depending on your priorities.

Indy, I think a center for K-horns has always presented a unique challenge. However, given the prominence of bass in both the K-horn and Cornwall, your vert sounds like it makes a nice match. I am not surprised that you liked the Corn better than the LaScala as a match. To my ears, LaScalas/Belles have an overall different sound as opposed to K-horns and Corns, despite some of the same drivers, etc.

Carl.