What 200 WPC power amp??

rockbobmel

Same deal. Brys runs a set of Khorns thru a ZR1600 and it'll peel your wig.

I

don't buy the "tubes for purity" jive. I'm sure tubes are fine,

and I like hobbys too, but don't sit there and poo poo powerful SS

amps. That just don't wash.

I haven't advocated tubes, nor poo poo'ed powerful SS amps. Just

questionning where this huge sound quality gain is coming from.

I perceive a few sonic differences going from the amps of a h/k avr-325

receiver to using a Carver m4.0t power amp (using the h/k as a

pre/pro). Voices and acoustic instrument sound a bit more

lifelike. But it's not a night and day difference.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry psg, I wasn't singling you out with my rant. I'm annoyed at the arrogance of the "audiophiles" from all the audio sites, not just this one. Many will have you believe it's tubes or nothing. I call BS.

In my opinion, tubes are fuzzy and colored

vinyl is lousy, unless you have a new master disc, and even then, cd's are clearer.

I think the audiophiles like tubes because they like their music colored to correct some perceived deficiency in their speakers.

that's my opinion anyway

If you are looking for or expecting a dramatic difference in any well designed amp that operates within it's linear range, well, good luck. You might want to keep looking for exotic cables as well.

But there are multiple benefits to running an amplifier (ANY amplifier) that exhibits the headroom to reproduce dynamics within it's linear range.

Hopefully the result of ANY well made component will be the accurate reproduction of the program source! The point is NOT to hear the amplifier nor any additional coloration that it (or any other component) may impart.

I know that this seems to be a relatively radical position for many....but it's always a bit of fun to stomp on the ant hill; as I have learned that trying to explore new technical areas with which many may not be familiar is unfortunately not a very productive pursuit here! But I suspect a stand selling pitchforks, torches, matches, and "burn the witch" tshirts would do quite a thriving business![:P][:D][6]