I just listened to the most dramatic change I've heard in my vinyl rig in YEARS!

Allan Songer

Lat month I was watching a pair of Jorgen Shou moving coil step up transformers on ebay and they didn't sell at $700 plus shipping from Denmark. So, I emailed the seller and offered him $550 shipped and he accepted. They came last week and I installed them yesterday aftenoon.

I have tried many step-up devices included a couple of Ortofon units, a Denon, an Audio Note, and a home made unit built around a pair of Altec-Peerless transformers. Among these I had never heard anything I liked better than the stock Orotofon transformer found in the headshell of the SPU-GT.

Well, let me say that these transformers are in a COMPLETELY different league. It's like someone snapped the music into foucs--tigher bass, cleaner highs and NO sacrifice in the beautiful, lush SPU midrange, My wife walked into the living room while I was listening to "Bass on Top" and she said "Wow! What did you do to your stereo?" It was during a Paul Chambers bowed bass solo--you could FEEL the bow gliding across the strings. Just amazing!

Well, I'm off to listen some more. I am like a kid on Christmas morning!!

2e_12_sb.JPG

f0_12_sb.JPG

As I said above, I have experimented with many step-ups over the years and I have noticed plenty of subtle differences among them and ended up opting for the in-headshell Ortofon transformer becuase it seemed to me that one less pair of interconnects was a GOOD thing and becuase the differences were so slight.

And then here comes the Jorgen Schou transformers which PROVE what you are saying. Japanese SPU worshipers have been writing about the JS transformers and the synergy with the SPU for as long as I can remember, but I never really paid them all that much heed because I had tried SO MANY different step-ups and came to the conclusion that they were waxing poetic about yet another SUBTLE shading difference.

They are right. I was wrong. I can't believe I waited 12-15 years to give these a try!

ok,

I'll show my newbieism[:S] What are you guys talking about, I've never heard of this. Can someone take the time to explain it to me?

Thanks

Ron

If you're using a high-end, low output moving coil (MC) cartridge on your turntable, many less expensive phono preamps built into a preamplifier, receiver, or a stand-alone phono preamp will not have enough juice to bring the gain up to satisfactory listening levels while playing your LPs (volume will be extremely low). A step-up transformer is added to bring the gains up to satisfactory levels you can use to enjoy listening to your LPs.

A high-output MC cartridge has nearly the same gain as a moving magnet (MM) cartridge, therefor a step-up transformer is not needed.

Is this correct? Even close?[:^)]

[:)

"i smell a Neo here ....."

Oh why is my name being used in vein?

I have an idea of how to put an end to the constant carping on this "form"!

Let's make English the official language![:o]

If we restrict the misuse of language a large portion of the site will go dark![:D]

I think you meant "craping".

[:)]

[:)

"i smell a Neo here ....."

Oh why is my name being used in vein?

I have an idea of how to put an end to the constant carping on this "form"!

Let's make English the official language![:o]

If we restrict the misuse of language a large portion of the site will go dark![:D]

I think you meant "craping".

[:)]

I think that would be "crapping"! But, hey!...Any port in a storm![:D][:P]