I just listened to the most dramatic change I've heard in my vinyl rig in YEARS!

Allan Songer

Groovy. Vinyl is delicious. Funny thing is 15 years ago, you might not have even liked they way they sound! I've had several instances of revisiting a shelved item, with surprising and pleasing impressions at times.

BTW, Songer, you should just use your full name for your user ID. That way people wouldn't misspell your first....

Oh, wait- nevermind...[;)]

Alan, I'm surprised that you perceived such a dramatic change In my experience, the most dramatic improvements have been the result of loudspeaker change. Changing other components generally result in more subtle improvements or changes in tonal quality. Maybe you had a system mis-match or other system incompatibility.

[:)

"i smell a Neo here ....."

Oh why is my name being used in vein?

I have an idea of how to put an end to the constant carping on this "form"!

Let's make English the official language![:o]

If we restrict the misuse of language a large portion of the site will go dark![:D]

I think you meant "craping".

[:)]

I think that would be "crapping"! But, hey!...Any port in a storm![:D][:P]

Fully realizing it's not funny if I have to explain it, I meant "craping".

I'll stick to my day job...

Alan, I'm surprised that you perceived such a dramatic change In my experience, the most dramatic improvements have been the result of loudspeaker change. Changing other components generally result in more subtle improvements or changes in tonal quality. Maybe you had a system mis-match or other system incompatibility.

Perhaps I overstated what I am hearing--OF COURSE the difference isn't on the level of swapping out SPEAKERS!! And how would changing step-up transformers cure a "system mis-match or other system incompatibility?" You're not making sense--or perhaps you haven't spent the time liistening carefully for the differences that "small" changes in the analog chain can bring? As those of us who have been seriously tweaking vinyl rigs as a passion have found--a simple change in VTA or VTF can make an AMAZING difference in sound---that's why even after over 25 years of messing with this stuff it still takes me 4 or 5 hours to dial in a cartridge (my wife has to leave the house--it's VERY annoying).

Anyway, thanks so much for the helpful comments!

That's unusual for you to overstate things, Alan. [;)] But seriously, if you had a tonal mismatch or an anomaly somewhere, perhaps with your pick cartridge, I thought it reasonable to suggest that a step-up transformer may provide a solution.

I agree that with a poorly mounted pick-up cartridge, tweaking the VTA or VTF could provide improvements to information retrieval and tracking. But why spend 25 years tweaking just so you can hear 'differences'? Get it right the first time, then leave well enough alone.

Edit: It's interesting that, Rega, with their 3 point pick-up cartridge mounting system have tried to remove customer mounting errors, optimising real life pick-up performance for those like me, who dislike tweaking

[:)

"i smell a Neo here ....."

Oh why is my name being used in vein?

I have an idea of how to put an end to the constant carping on this "form"!

Let's make English the official language![:o]

If we restrict the misuse of language a large portion of the site will go dark![:D]

I think you meant "craping".

[:)]

I think that would be "crapping"! But, hey!...Any port in a storm![:D][:P]

Fully realizing it's not funny if I have to explain it, I meant "craping".

I'll stick to my day job...

To quote a friend, who corrected a friend in his friendly quote, but who also intensionally quoted another friend who quoted someone else, just before he crapped out,.....I got it, and I didn't even have to know how to spell craping.[:P]

Sorry, Alan, I had to seize the opportunity before Fini chimed in.

Carry on.....

Allan,

Good find with the Schou transformers.

Quality transformers allow the voice of low output moving coils to be heard in all their vibrant glory. There are numerous possible sources of quality transformers for those who are willing to do some internet homework. For current production, Stevens and Billlington and Tamura are two manufacturers that are very rewarding. For those interested and willing to seek non current production transformers, some of the classic microphone trannies will also do a wonderful job. I'm still loving my Tamura TKS-27s.

Klipsch out.

post-7998-13819269906936_thumb.jpg

Just for interest I took a look at the specs for the SPU. This cartridge is definitley from another era and now I am really keen to hear one:

http://www.ortofon.com/html/profile.asp?body_moving_coil_technical_data.asp

Some of the highlights that stand out:

Cartridge weight : 28.5 grams (is there anything heavier??)
Tracking weight : 3-5 grams, 4 recommended (now that is serious!!)

Output : 0.2mV (and that is Low with a capital L - at least 65 dB of gain needed IMHO).

Channel separation figures are amongst the lowest I have ever seen quoted.

Overall - this must sound different from anything else out there - better or worse, as ever, will be a matter of personal opinion.

One question though - that looks like a very non-standard fitting - are there adapters of some kind to mount this on a normal arm (or in my case an adnormal arm but with a standard 2 screw mount) ?

If there is a way to get it on my arm I think I will certainly have to pick one up to play with....

Here you go, Max. This is a brand-new "nude" SPU called the "Royal N." I have never heard one, but have been told that the sound isn't the CLASSIC SPU sound, but still quite breathtaking. Here is what Peter Clark says:

The Royal N is the most "modern" SPU with silver coils and the Replicant line contact stylus. Whatever top end the lesser SPUs may seem to be lacking is certainly present in the Royal. The N version however, at 13 g, doesn't have quite the mojo the more massive A's and GM's have. You would not notice this in everyday driving. If one had serious commitment to the SPU cart, one wouldn't have just an N. If one couldn't justify the Ortofon RMG 312, the SME 3012R, the Fidelity Research FR66 or the Ikeda IT 407, all 12 " arms capable to balancing the 32 g headshell SPU, the next best thing is the N which will happily mount to any medium to heavy effective mass arm, Triplanar comes to mind.

They are low output MCs (.2mV) needing at least 1 : 20 step ups. Don't do all the gain actively, you'll kill the music. That range I have Stephens and Billington TX 103s for. I also have some new Jensens I haen't wired up yet. The RoyalN seems to prefer a 1 : 35 Sowter, though. The other SPUs I have prefer Jensens at 1 : 35. Loading is something you need to experiment with as phone sections vary enough to make this a not-a-cookbook operation. Just be aware that the lodaing is *low* and running into 47k ohms will give disappointing performance.

The Royal N is probably my single favorite cart, with bonecrushing bass, a midrange that's so romantic it drips and a terrific top end. Huge bang for the buck in the right set up.

You should be able to get one for about $1200 US.

SPU_ROYAL_N.jpg
http://www.ortofon.com/html/body_moving_coil_technical_data.asp?varenr=2100281

Back "in the day" Ortofon made a nude version of the SPU GT called S15-T that could be mounted in the "standard" way with 2-headshell screws.
75_1_b.JPG

Hard to find today and most will need a rebuild. You might find one for $250 or so if you look around.

Thanks Allan,

If I do go this route I am gonna need to replace my trusty Shure for setting the tracking weight - it only goes upto 3 grams from memory...

Not a cheap cartridge the Royal - I wonder if anyone over here runs one I could listen to. also wonder if anyone has ever tried it on my arm - that tracking weight looks a good match - but the dynamic compliance is quite low and we dont want the tail wagging the dog scenario....

• 1 year later...

Wow, another two year old thread resurrected. Nice to read again though. I have an SME 3012 I want to install for mono listening. With an SPU mono cart I would only need one tranny right? Armboard is in construction, arm is here, the cart I don't know yet, the step up has to be built still. Any advise on this project: Which SPU cart exactly, which contraweights should I use for the 3012 (II), any other mounting guidelines on a 3012? And ofcourse then about the step up... A lot of food for thought.

O sorry! Lensi, welcome to the forum! Which SPU are you using? Tim.