What was the military use of the 6922

Daddy Dee

I've come to a sincere appreciation for the quality of the NOS Philips

JAN 6922. It sounds very good in the Peach and Merlin preamps.

Looking at the manufacture dates for these little rascals, I see that they were still manufactured, at least as late as 1986.

Got me to wondering, what kind of military gear used these tubes?

Also, does anyone know how late these tubes were manufactured or used by the military?

"Not knowing, I would hesitate to say." A quote from my grandfather of blessed memory.

The 6922 is in a family of tubes which include 6DJ8, ECC88, and 7308, all being double triodes.

For reasons I can only guess, Joint Army Navy (JAN) had the need to scrap the common nomenclature and assign everything a number peculiar to its organization. Many JAN tubes were common vacuum tubes that had been made more rugged and non-microphonic with added mica supports. Many had special heaters with long-life characteristics and the ability to withstand many on-off cycles and wide voltage variances.

Being a double triode, I can imagine they found some use in mobile audio applications. Although this is a stretch, I can also imagine their use in early computers as a simple high speed on-off switch.

Having said all of that, it is now your turn to imagine! After all, you write homilies![;)]

DRBILL

Seems to me that when we went after Noriega in the 80's we bombarded him with Heavy Metal and Rock & Roll 24/7 while he was holed up in some estate . Maybe we used Klipsch speakers and some of those tubes you mentioned to make him somewhat uncomfortable . Just my thoughts . Anybody else ?

Dee,

Not exactly what you were looking for but it gives you a good idea of

what the military used tubes for and what tubes in some cases. Scroll

down till you see the tubes image and check out some of those links

then scroll down to the robotics lol.......

http://pages.cthome.net/fwc/INDEX.HTM

for instance a link directly to one of the files

http://pages.cthome.net/fwc/VT.HTM

I bet the guys at this forum can answer your question http://www.qsl.net/pe1ngz/signalscollection.html

[*-)]

This book would be interesting anyhow.

http://www.eht.com/oldradio/tubelore/

Up to this point, standard tube references have been dedicated to the historical development of vacuum tubes in general (Tyne's Saga of the Vacuum Tube, Stoke's 70 Years of Radio Tubes and Valves) or those of a specific manufacturer (Mager's 75 Years of WE Tube Manufacturing). In most cases, stress is placed on the progression of tube technology and refinements, with little emphasis on application. In this sense, Ludwell Sibley's Tube Lore comes as a welcome addition, uniting both the practical with the historical, with an appeal to the restorer, collector and historian alike.

In the author's own words: This book is intended to aid the present-day user and collector of electron tubes by providing historical insight and specific technical data. It supplies information, from a variety of sources, on the characteristics and design relationships of tubes. With this insight, the user (equipment restorer, audiophile, etc.) may be aided in finding suitable replacement tubes as the supply grows smaller, and the collector may be able to determine the nature and uses of a fresh acquisition .