Reciver repair shops

ricktate

When you take a reciever in for repair or tune up do they go through the whole thing or just fix whats not working? I got several HKs i would like tuned up they seem to work fine except one goes in and out of stereo mode.I just got a HK930 and it has a little more noise when volume is turned off ..more than the HK430.Anyone work at a repair shop? Thanks Rick

I turn all mine on like Andy..HDBR..said to...power up with speakers off for atleast a minute then turn speakers on...then to turn off ...turn speakers off for a minute then power off.None of my 430s hum at all and with volume all the way down very quiet.Rick

Please be careful with taking your gear in to be "tuned up". One, they will not touch a working unit as they do not want to break it. They will place it in the corner, wait 5 days and tell you to come in an pick it up, with a nice
tuneup" fee. They might clean it up for you and blow out some dust with an air compressor. That is it. The repair techs have to fix this stuff as quickly as possible to feed their family.

Now if it is broken, they will fix what is broken. Please do not waste money going for a tuneup. If you really need a tuneup, it would involve replacing caps in your system that are old, and yes it will make it sound better. Getting someone to actually do this though is another story. Unless the gear is vintage that you really want to keep, after 12 or 15 years, just dump it in the trash and buy new. For the older good vintage stuff, you need to get someone who likes vintage audio, and will take the time it requires to fix it correctly. I would do it for you, but it takes way too long and I lose money on each one!

Thanks guys that is what i figured would happen they wont fix it if it not broke.The 930 works good so i will just use it see what happens but i didnt want the tech. to rebuild it just adjust all the adjustable stuff in there and it looks like there is a lot of it in a 930 the HK430 does not have all the adjustable things in it maybe thats why it is so quiet huh.Rick

On a tangent, be thankful if you are lucky to live near an electronics

repair shop. In my town of 40,000, there are none, whatsoever.

The nearest repair facility is 70 miles away. I read in a recent

Sound & Vision article that since about 1990, the number of

electronic repair shops in the US has diminished from about 20,000 to

7,000, as more and more electronics are intended as disposible, rather

than repairable.