Can an EL-34 be used? as a drop in replacement for 6L6

Daddy Dee

Dee,

I have been told that with some minor adjustments that you can go the

other way. Like put 6L6GCs into an ST-70. There would have to be some

adjustments made, but there wouldn't be the load on the heater windings.

Switching TO an EL34 would add almost two amps load on the heater

windings (assuming two tubes per side). One of the guys on the DIYTube

forum pust in 6L6 tubes instead of EL34 tubes on one of Shannon's

boards. Maybe he used 6L6 tubes on the EL84 based amp. Added wires off

the board and ran them to octal sockets instead of the pc mount 9 pin

sockets.

Then he had to make adjustments with the PS to have all the voltages split out correctly.

Bruce

I successfully converted one of my Scott 299Cs to EL-34s, switching the pinouts on the octal sockets as required. It is using the power transformer for 2 filaments and an additional small 12V torriod transformer for the remaining 2 in series. To limit power to the output transformers to approx 20 watts, the EL-34s are permanently strapped in triode mode. Sounds great I may add.

Rick

The key here was "drop in" , in no way is it a drop in replacement. the amp has to be modded extensively. trannies, caps, resistors...so stay away from that idea...however good el34 amps can be found a low prices (ST-70 for example) why have both? regards, tony

DD,

I have a book (terribly worn) that I highly reccomend:

Tube Substitution Handbook by William Smith and Barry Buchanan, now in the second edition 1998. Prompt Publications (a division of SAMS). ISBN 0-7906-1148-1.

Antique Electronic Supply has them at $21.95.

www.tubesandmore.com

You need their catalog, too.

DB

Yes, it could be done. As an example, here is what you would need to do to replace the 6L6 with EL34 on a Fender guitar amplifier. The amp gurus in the forum may be able to connect the dots... and infer how to help you do it on your amp.

Courtesy of Ken Fischer, Trainwreck Circuits; stolen from The Tube Amp Book 4rth Ed., by Aspen Pittman page 282

=================================================================================================

1] Between pins 4 and 6 on each tube socket is a resistor, probably 470 ohm. Replace this with a 5 watt 1000 ohm resistor.

2] Between pins 1 and 5 on each tube socket will be another resistor, probably about a 1500 ohm. Disconnect the pin 1 end so it stands up bare ended and connect the other wires that went to the 1 pin to the standing up bare end of this1500 ohm resistor.

3] Connect pins 1 and 8 with a solid wire.

4] Increase the value of the resistor in series with the bias diode to reduce the bias voltage to obtain proper bias (this value will vary from amp to amp).

NOTE: If you want to go back to the 6L6, just adjust the bias supply.

Hope this helps,

Paul

NOOOOOOO ..!

more heater current = Bad Power Xfmr, ............sooner rather than later on some lightly built stereo amps

Hence my comment that it would be easier to go the other way ( EL34 to

6L6). I can only imagine that most older tube gear way a real

cost/performance ratio and the power tranny was close to the limit

already. Not everyone overbuilds. When it came to iron, the cost went

up quickly. Still does.

Bruce

In a amp with adjustable bias like a ST70 a 6L6GC will drop right in and usually bias up perfectly. The pin outs of the two tubes are indentical and they both generally require the same amount of negative grid voltage for biasing and both have similar plate dissapation specs. Now a regular 6L6 or 6L6GB will not live very happily in the amp like a ST70 or similar. I'm not sure where anyone is getting the idea major changes are required.

KT66's are another matter they genrally require a pretty gopod amount more negative voltage applied to the grid to get the bias down. They may need some bias circuit adjustment.

Craig

I thought I was correct. The guy who added 6L6 output tubes to his EL84

amp pretty much only had to change the PS so the different voltages

would be correct. He had a stout PS tranny on it, and swapped the 9 pin

sockets an put in octals.

But, yeah, going the other way will require a bit more care.