bass trap question..

steve

I've been doing a lot of reading the last couple of days regarding bass traps..been to auralex.com, and read a few archived posts here (mainly from Artto) and I'm confused about placement. Do the traps go in the same corners as the speakers (K Horns in my case) or the opposite corners?? Or all 4 corners??????? I know I need some, as I lack bass in my room (I'm always whining about it) but I want to get right the first time.

Thanx in advance

Steve

There isn't a rule of thumb... as they will be most

effective in the corners with the greatest build up. That will vary depending on the room geometry and symmetry. If the room were perfectly symmetrical in

width and depth and a central seating position... the corners would be equally

effective.

Measuring your room's response would be the best place to

start

Rob

thanx Rob

after reading your response here and in the other thread, how does one go about measuring the room's response? (excuse my ignorance)..I know what the sound pressure level meter is (although I don't have one) but what software am I looking for??

Any clues are appreciated!

Thanx,

Steve

Actually artto gave m00n a simple step by step procedure in artto, here is my results with a jpg of a basic room layout. thread... It would be a good place to

start.

Obviously there are more complex ways at going about it like

using RTA software that would produce more precise results, but these are hard

to interpret without an understanding of what's going on. I'd start with artto's m00n process and post

back what you find...

Rob

thanx Rob

actually, Artto has been giving me excellent advice, and I'm in the process of ordering bass traps and experimenting..I have to say I'm guilty of spending a decent amount of money on equipment, and zilch on the room..it's no wonder I am missing some of the bass, no matter what equipment I get!! Anyway, that's all about to change. I''ll check the previous threaad out, and will also report back my findings of the results after adding bass traps!

Regards,

Steve

Actually artto gave m00n a simple step by step procedure in artto, here is my results with a jpg of a basic room layout. thread... It would be a good place to start.

Obviously there are more complex ways at going about it like using RTA software that would produce more precise results, but these are hard to interpret without an understanding of what's going on. I'd start with artto's m00n process and post back what you find...

Rob

LOL... The thread lives. I will be getting back to it soon.

Here is what I think. Wide band bass absorbers are just big hunks of sound absorbant material. They have to be relatively large to absorb the long wavelengths.

Corners, as conical horns work in both directions. If you put a speaker in the corner the diaphragm sees a better load. There is better pressure being formed in the confinement. This is sometimes explained as mirror like reflections of the image of the speaker in a corner.

However, horns make for good microphone ducts too. We see that in old telephone microphones and of course the ear trumpet hearing aid. The pressure at the small end is higher.

In the analysis of rooms we see graphs where spl is higher in the corners. Same thing.

Therefore a moderate size absorber is more effective because there is more pressure there to absorb. Just the mirror images of the K-Horn, the image of the absorber is increased.

Gil

http://www.acousticsciences.com/index.htm

http://www.acousticsciences.com/tubetrap.htm

http://www.rpginc.com/products/modexcorner/index.htm

http://www.rpginc.com/residential/index.htm

Not sure how involved you are wanting to get or if you have seen these sites Steve but here are a few sites to check out for Bass Traps as well as other acoustical treatments and some very good articles to help a person understand some of what is going on in a room acoustically.

Also if you haven't read it "The Master Handbook of ACOUSTICS" by

F.Alton EVEREST is a good place to begin to learn also.

The above companies and their products are thourghly tested and have specifications that can be provided.

I'm not familiar with the Aurlex Products. I spent a little time on their website but didn't see any measurement specifications provided. I would be curious to see test of their products so does anyone know if measured performance specifications are available?

Edit: Found the Measurement Sections. The Syn-Aud-Con Newsletter was interesting on the Aurlex bass trap.

mike[:)]