World's best Speakers??

cwop

These the best speakers in the world! [:P]Yeah maybe for thier owner/builder.

There are a few speakers that are simply stunning performers,Wilson Audio Grand SLAMM X1,Dynaudio Evidence Master,JM Lab Utopia BE and Kharma .Are some of hjose I did listen to,they are sonic marvels,providing you have the matching amps and the rest opf the high end chain.

The finest speakers I ever auditiond were made by a company no longer in business,Dunlavy.The SC IV if I remember are huge speakers that vanish and have a sound so real and uncolored it will amaze the most hard core audiophiles.

Any home made would be ME TOO has his best speakers in "The whole wide world".

Hey Ear,

I don't know if you accidentally flipped the Roman numerals around, or

you really meant the SC-IV. The SC-IV was the middle child.

The really, Really REALLY big Dunlavy were the SC-VI, to wit:

Full-range, floorstanding loudspeaker. Drive-units: two 15"

long-throw paper-cone woofers, two 8" long-throw paper-cone woofers,

two 5.5" plastic-cone midrange units, and one 1" silk-dome tweeter.

Frequency response: 25Hz-20kHz, ±0.5dB (approx. -3dB at 20Hz). Acoustic

phase response: less than +1 degrees, -2 degrees, 100Hz-10kHz.

Sensitivity: 91dB/W/m (2.83V RMS). Nominal impedance: 5 ohms. Minimum

impedance: 3 ohms. Maximum impedance: 7.5 ohms (including bass

resonance). Radiation pattern: symmetrical in both vertical and

horizontal planes. Low-frequency damping: Q = 0.6 (with initial rolloff

of 6-8dB/octave). Crossover design: minimum-phase type (6dB/octave)

compensated for driver response anomalies and resonance/phase

variations. Harmonic distortion: less than 0.3% for an spl of 90dB at

1m for all frequencies above 40Hz. Power handling: approximately 250W

peak for 10ms.

Dimensions: 78" H by 18" W by 33" D. Weight: 530 lbs each.

Of interest to note here is that while these things are 6'6" tall and

weigh over a quarter of a ton each, their sensitivity is only 91dB/W/m

and their maximum input power is 250W short term. That's only

around 115dB or so maximum short term out put level.

I tried to find a picture that does them justice, but couldn't...

dunlavy6.jpg

Ray,

[:$] Yes I flipped some things a bit. The SCVI it is. Again my mistake.What is no mistake is the natural sound these giants create,with Wadia transport and Wadia's top of the line D/A converter coupled with Audio Research Reference Tube monoblocks and their Reference preamp.My god was the sound lush,limitless and natural.

Best speakers I've ever heard.No doubt

One problem is the huge size,these are simply gigantic.Not just large.And then you have to have a BIG room to make these breathe.Cost,not that bad $25000US very economical compared to less musical and often reaching beyond 70 grand speakers.

EAR, no long time no talk! How are ya pal? You'll be interested to know I got some Dunlavy SCIV-A's about 3 months ago, and couldn't agree with you more. I know everyone, I know, they're not Klipsch! Still love them though, really amazing [<:o)]

Not bad,been working like a mule of late.Made alot of RC purchases(well too many in fact)and I am returning slowly to my main hobby audio.

All Dunlavy speakers I heard were musical above all.None impressed with bass or any range of the audible specturum at first.A good sign as Dunlavy's are FLAT,probably some of the flattest speakers ever designed and built! I waited too damn long,if I only knew John Dunlavy's company would not make it,I would have purchased the SCV I back then.Oh well I have my Dynaudio that do a good job reproducing my music.

Best speakers made today?

I would probably vote for the JBL K2 9800...

The best I ever auditioned would be the Magnepan 20 I heard at Lyric hifi in NY...Liked them so much I bought a pair of SMGc right on the spot! (they did not sound quite as good...lol)

regards, tony

Well, my rhetorical question was asked with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek.....The Dunlavys and others are generally great to listen to but trust me when I say there is absolutely nothing in them to justify high five figure asking prices........That dynamic figure posted by Ray is not impressive to me, which is not to say that they are not great music machines.........I still like the dynamics of the big horns.......

RJP