Crown D-45 is excellent ss

leok

Prompted by Duke Spinner and the impressive specifications I found at

the Crown web site I purchased a Crown D-45. I wanted an amp with low

distortion at low power and low output impedance. A Watt or two over

3.5 or 8 was a plus.

The amp arrived a few days ago and today I purchased/made adapters for the 1/4" phone input and barrier block speaker output.

Thanks for the tip and encouragement Duke, the amp is delightful. I

have never heard anything ss that comes even close. The amp is just

wonderful to listen to. I played Morton Gould's "Show Piece for

Orchestra" (Albany Troy 300) and a few selections from "String Music"

on the same disk. The composition, performance, and recording are

extremely dynamic and the Crown delivered with ease. Instrument timbres

remained natural regardless of volume or complexity. The low end detail

and ambience are all there. Reflection of speaker impedance in the

sound is gone.

Many Klipsch forum members have good ss amps and probably wonder what

drives people to use tubes. This is the first totally acceptable ss amp

I've ever heard, and it is a gem.

Leo

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you Crown amps are really very good. Although I tend to favour the DC300a. I own five of these and have rebuilt four of them. I currently use three of them to power a pair of ATC SC35M (yes I know thy are not Klipsch) and the sound quality is awesome. I am in the process of replacing the power cords with neutrick powercon connectors, much better than the usual iec sockets. Shame they stopped building the DC300A. I have tried a couple of the high power Crown amps and they suck big time. In fact DC 300A are almost as good as a Klimo OTL but I dont need the fire extingusher at my knees..........

S

"Everybody knows" that Crowns and horns don't sound good. Except for the three zillion people who bought Crowns and Klipsches, Altecs and JBLs back in the 70s and 80s and are no doubt still enjoying them.

I guess nobody told them, maybe they've been too busy enjoying music to pay attention.

The composition, performance, and recording are extremely dynamic and the Crown delivered with ease. Instrument timbres remained natural regardless of volume or complexity. The low end detail and ambience are all there. Reflection of speaker impedance in the sound is gone.

Many Klipsch forum members have good ss amps and probably wonder what drives people to use tubes. This is the first totally acceptable ss amp I've ever heard, and it is a gem.

Leo

Leo, glad to hear you're still in audio nirvana. I bet it sounds just great with your gear.

I miss our listening sessions. I learned a lot from you about critical listening.

Chris

PS: I'll send you a note with my contact info.

I agree with you Crown amps are really very good. Although I tend to favour the DC300a. I own five of these and have rebuilt four of them. I currently use three of them to power a pair of ATC SC35M (yes I know thy are not Klipsch) and the sound quality is awesome. I am in the process of replacing the power cords with neutrick powercon connectors, much better than the usual iec sockets. Shame they stopped building the DC300A. I have tried a couple of the high power Crown amps and they suck big time. In fact DC 300A are almost as good as a Klimo OTL but I dont need the fire extingusher at my knees..........

S

Nonsense!

The Microtech, Macrotech, Itech and Reference series are excellent!

Hello Dragonfyre, Youve got me there I have not used the Reference or the Itech as they are rare in the UK and they cost plenty here! I have found with AB testing that a well sorted DC300a, on my rather poor speaker rig, sound awesome! And there is no fan noise. Just transformer lamination noise. Which with three of them can become a little wearing. As I mentioned Crown or should it be Amcron build superb ss power amps with build quality second to none and all of the Crowns I have used have the same type of seamless quality! But fan noise is the bane of my living room. But after all we are strange people in the UK.

S

I've never heard a Crown amp. I know that there was a big (750 watt into 8 ohm???) Master [EDIT: Macro] Reference or somesuch that got good audiophile publicity about ten years ago.

I'm surprised that a class A/B-B amp has such a following. I was under the impression that biasing more heavily into class A transistor operation was a good thing sonically.

Anyone had experience in hearing crossover distortion? I can't say I do, but then I've never listened to a class B amp driving decent speakers. Transistor bias class is all smoke and mirrors, maybe???

I use the D75 for a monitor amp in a one rack space... Amazing IMO.

Go to most radio stations and see them in the studio usually for the in studio monitors.

Sometimes the DJ's like to rock out too.

Crown makes very good stuff. (some of the current stuff entry level Amps "might" not be quite as good as the older or more expensive tour gear stuff.) They sound wonderful. The only complaint might be powerful fan noise in some other models..

The 300's were the work horses in the 70's and 80's for a LOT of applications. Go figure..they are still working today too.

http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/amps/136711.pdf

Leo,

You better be right on this!

You got me curious enough to pull the trigger on a used Crown D-75. Funny how they go for cheap on eBay, cheaper than a pair of "generic" 300B.

Seriously, I'll try to avoid tubes for the next couple of years at least until the tikette understand the concept of "hot" so I was looking fo a decent SS amp.

I haven't been running such a thing since... er... mmm... 1997?

The D-45 seems to go new around 380-400 USD and used for 120-160 USD.

The D-75A will go new for 580 USD give or take 20 dollars. Used, it seems to go anywhere from 120 USD to 240 USD.

Seeing those old Crown DC300 while Googling the D75 bring some souvenirs. A rack of DC 300 was a huge thing, for not many watts in return. But those things were like Bryston 4B. Even if you wanted to blow them up, you couldn't.