Klipsch Museum and Factory Pix

colterphoto1

Hi gang, Here's my initial set of photos of the Klipsch Museum and Factory in Hope, Arkansas from the Heritage Gathering Sept 17, 2005.

Kindly send any corrections in the text to me via PM and I will make corrections. I have downsized the photos to 640 pixels or less and about 200kb for easier loading.

Michael

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First room has several early playback devices in the way of Edisons and Grammaphone players. Several display cases are filled with early horns and speaker cones. Wall displays exhibit early drawings from PWK, tear sheets from magazines and ads.

On the left is a photo of a cabinet one owner made from a bizarre hunk of walnut for his speaker cabinet.

post-10755-13819271582406_thumb.jpg

Okay, I'm partial to the Cornwalls. This early Mahagony unit features the very unique grille cloth that wraps around three sides. The port is a tall vertical slot in the middle of the back, and the face frame is very unique. Note that the box extends all the way to the floor, but the face frame gives the impression of 'legs'. Tres cool!

post-10755-13819271583426_thumb.jpg

Here's a detailed shot of the same CW, showing museum placard, beautiful mahagony top plate, face frame, and grill cloth. I tried to get detailed shots of all early grilles and Klipsch logo plates throughout the series. PM me if you'd like a higher res color corrected image of any of these.

post-10755-13819271584056_thumb.jpg

Same room, here's a straight on view of the LS Runt. Exactly as used on Gov Rockerfeller's campaign train. The W section is about 1/2 the height of normal LS, or about 12". Mid and high are the same, note the vertical orientation of the K77. This unit had external xover on top and two carry handles.

post-10755-13819271585646_thumb.jpg

Here's the much discussed photo of the detail of a 50th Anniversary Khorn. Very retro and unique.

Many of these speakers show lack of maintenance and care. The windows have no UV glass or curtains, so the sun has been blasting down on them. This 10 year old Anniversary of the namesake of the line is already suffering much sun damage. Please write to the museum and ask them to please make efforts to protect these wood cabinets.

post-10755-13819271586406_thumb.jpg

Front panel of Khorn with Zebrawood. Excellent example of the bookmatching they did of the veneers in the old days. Trey reiterated the story that the speakers were built in matched pairs by wood grain, not sound quality. If one became damaged or didn't pass inspection, BOTH of the pair were destroyed. Oh, to have dumpster dived in Hope in 1976! Nowadays, anything trashed at the facility is sledgehammered first to discourage this practice.

post-10755-13819271589586_thumb.jpg