Klipsch Museum and Factory Pix

colterphoto1

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the first things we saw upon entering was the stockpiles of Klipsch Pro Audio cabinets in rough assembly, awaiting sanding and finishing prior to final assembly. Here's Chris with one of the MCM cabinets. Over an hour of assembly time was taken off these beasts when they went to CNC lathe machines routing rabbet joints instead of the butt joint configurations. This means that the cabinets are sturdier and can be glued and nailed up without the time consuming task of using numerous jigs during this stage.

post-10755-13819271599646_thumb.jpg

In the LaScala assembly area, Trey shows how the new LS LF bin is made of 1" solid high-grade MDF board that has already been veneered on two sides. The doghouse is made up of plywood with a 1/4" veneered board covering it. The total package weighs as much as a Khorn. The stiffness gives LF extension that was previously lost to cabinet vibration.

post-10755-13819271601026_thumb.jpg

As each unit rolls down the assembly line, there are numerous checks before the speaker is tagged and packaged for the warehouse. Before installing any crossover components or speaker elements, the cabinet is carefully checked. Here a worker has come in on Saturday to catch up on some KPT250's that were pulled for minor cabinet flaws. A two part wood Bondo is applied which sets up quickly, then is sanded with an air-driven orbital sander. Then the cabinet goes back through the paint process.

Minor imperfections are caught early, giving the entire assembly line an astounding 98% FIRST TIME inspection rate. This is nearly unheard of in most manufacturing operations.

post-10755-13819271603336_thumb.jpg

Here lie RF7's that have been finished, dried, inspected. Then ports are installed, crossovers, interior dampening and finally drivers. It's quite a long line and there is ample room for dozens of cabinets to be drying and stockpiled for the next step in the operation.

post-10755-13819271604506_thumb.jpg

HOW Y"ALL ARE?

There will be more photos later gang. I ran out of film, having taken 60 image in the first hour at the museum and few minutes at the Factory. Trey's digital camera has the remainder of my images on it. My hopes are that he and I can integrate some of these other images and create a digital slide show for you all to enjoy.

That's all I've got for now. Please feel free to post comments or questions here.

Michael