D-MAN

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

D-man,

Nice find. Interesting that the ports on on the side. I actually gave that a consideration. I thought that the side ports would couple with the walls kinda like a khorn. However, I wanted to stick with the sound of a Cornwall and have the ports couple with the floor. That is a large bass bin for one woofer.

The Japanese driver maker Onken liked the Jensen ultraflex and designed similar boxes for use with Altec and Onken woofers, these boxes are generically known as "Onkens".

Some are keen on the big Onken which uses a Altec 416 and the petite which uses the Altec 414. There's also a super Onken that uses dual 416s.

I heard the petite and it sounded pretty good. Plans for the Onkens are out there floating around in cyberspace and in an old issue of Sound Practices.

JW, that is indeed the question... I have no idea what the sonic effect of side ports would be.

The design is from 1954-55, so I imagine that the drivers were not as capable of low Fs in a smaller chamber as they are today. But you're right - that looks like a 7 to 8+ cu ft Vb to me.

Pretty much ready for 2 modern 15" drivers!

DM

I had no idea that Onken was derived from Jensen - actually, I've never even seen these Jensen designs before (except the Imperial folded horn(s)).

Here are a couple other drawings... note the driver mounting hole is vertically offset in the previous attachment compared to the drawing #2 (equidistant) below.

DM

post-13458-13819271658404_thumb.jpg

This reminds me of an email I got. I was contemplating building a reflex box instead of a horn. The email said:

"But you might "settle" for them once you have them built.

Convenience and familiarity will always win out in the end. I know better...:)" [;)]

I think for a lot of rooms, they can't be beat. Placement is way easier for sure.

Beautiful boxes Tom, even if you don't know whose they are.

Bruce

Bruce, no fair!

"But you might "settle" for them once you have them built.

Convenience and familiarity will always win out in the end. I know better...:)"

Need I point out that I ALREADY have a pair of horns (as compared to someone who will remain nameless that we all know and love whose initials start with a B?)![:D]

DM