LaScala/Cornwall HT

colterphoto1

Michael,

I think you are sweating the timbre mismatch a little too much here. Heritage works well with Heritage. If you were going to run a Ref C7 or some other line as you center in between two LS and fill in the surrounds the same way I would caution you, yes there will be a very noticeable timbre mismatch. But IMO your CW should fit nicely into that type of rig. Right now I am running my system with my LS mains and H II's for center and surrounds. I am still working on my Split LS center. That is the downside of having a spare Heritage, no sense of urgency to complete my project. There is some noticeable timbre mismatch but I believe that is due to my LS having brand new Al K Universal A replacements networks and my H II's running 20 year old networks. From a movie perspective it is pretty amazing. If you add CW's to LS you will obviously get a very deep bass from you center and surrounds, that is a good thing. Choosing the correct sub will be a necessity, I have yet to do that although after the pilgrimage the THX Ultra II's have me pretty impressed.

R/Jim

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim said, "After the pilgrimage, the THX Ultra II's have me pretty impressed."

I was too, and bought the Klipsch KA 1000 THX amp, with 2 KW120 THX subs from Ovation Audio. They gave me a good deal too. Like I said, you CAN purchase this separately if you like... just be persistent with the manager of your local Klipsch authorised dealer store.. Obviously, he wouldlike to sell you the whole THX system, but I was able to order mine separately with no problem. All I can say is... OMG! There will never be a need for bass shakers at all!

Anyone looking for a "Heritage sub" THIS is it!

7 LA Scalas all split al AL-3 networks I got very, very, lucky! Add the amp n subs.. Woo Hooo...

Let's see, I've got $500 in CW pair, $750 in LS pair, $300 in center CW, that's $1550 total in all my speakers for main system. Does it make sense to put a $4000 sub system with that? I know I got everything at a steal of a price, but it seems unbalanced.

Perhaps if I consider retail value. $4000 for LS, $2000 CW, $1000 for center, that would be about $7k in speakers, still sound like a lot of sub, adding $4k to that total.

Perhaps a Dayton Titanic would complement this well?

Michael

Michael. No not $4000 in a sub.

Listen. If you go to audioreview.com you will see rave reviews on the HSU research TN 1220. I have two of them. They are no longer in production. They matched the La Scalas perfectly.

Now again if my memory serves me, you have some Crown amps to use. Well, you can use your own amp on these.

You could get by with $800 bucks of 2 from Ebay if you search carefully. They will come up.

jc

Again for the amp and 2 subs..thats 3900 MSRP.. I have a good feeling a lot less is needed to buy these ... And in your case less is needed since with wooden floors. I really doubt you need 2 subs.. so there is 1250 off... so 2650 MSRP and again some off of that too.

Starting to look better? + - 2 k for a killer sub sytem?

• 3 weeks later...

Paul, respectfully I ask the question 'how can you possibly have too much bass in the surrounds'?

If an on-screen movement means that there should be a bass-heavy sound effect occuring in BACK of me, I want to be hit in the BACK of the head with it. So long as the rears don't overpower the mains, I don't see how it could be a problem.

Michael

Paul, respectfully I ask the question 'how can you possibly have too much bass in the surrounds'?

If an on-screen movement means that there should be a bass-heavy sound effect occuring in BACK of me, I want to be hit in the BACK of the head with it. So long as the rears don't overpower the mains, I don't see how it could be a problem.

I think it's a matter of perspective/taste...the people that actually like the lascala (especially without a subwoofer) simply don't like to hear the low end recorded on their source material (I can even think of a few reasons why that might be the case considering the typical source material of lascala lovers). [;)] The same goes for people that like the heresy without a sub as well - some peole inadvertanly hear low end as a "bad thing."

There is no reason why a speaker with a wider frequency range should sound any worse. But to make the claim requires that something is wrong with the recording itself; specifically that there is low frequency information that is destroying the sound. If there is no information below a certain point on the source material, then a speaker with a wider range isn't going to be playing lower notes. So it comes down to the recording itself and there's nothing we can do about it...So if we implement a speaker system to remove a flaw in a bad recording, then we are going to lose important information in a good recording - information that greatly adds to the enjoyment of the movie!

Michael....

I am running a pair of Belle's for stereo & have JUST setup the

Cornwall's in the rear, replacing the Heresy surrounds, & will soon

be working on a CW center. They are seamless & seem to match

perfectly. I am mostly using them for 5 channel music now &

really like them,

In movie surround mode, I still get better effects from the

Heresy's. I think its mainly because of the placement. The

Heresy's are right behind the sofa, on 4' stands. The CW's are

10' feet behind the sofa (against the wall), & on 2' stands.

It would be real ugly if I tried to move the HUGE CW's up to where the

Heresy's are now.

For music, there is no comparison, the whole room is filled perfectly with music.

Been there, done that, many times.

I spent about 3 months trying to prove to myself that I could make the

CW's sound better for all modes, but couldn't. The surround is

simply better with the speakers close to the sofa, & music is

better using the whole room.

I am now trying to figure out a way to setup a switch so I can use

Heresy's for movies & the Corn's for music..... without having to

change the delay & DB settings every time.

I think it's a matter of perspective/taste...the people that actually like the lascala (especially without a subwoofer) simply don't like to hear the low end recorded on their source material (I can even think of a few reasons why that might be the case considering the typical source material of lascala lovers). [;)]

HUH!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I don't even know where to begin![:P][:P][:P][:S]