Klipsch Pro Series , Viable For Home Use ?

sunburnwilly

I see no critical problems.

The biggest challenge will be dealing with the Q/dispersal pattern of the horns with regards to room reflections. There will also be a focal range which will result in the best imaging as well.

Otherwise there are few necessarily limiting factors.

Of course I am not talking about putting 4 Jubilees in a 10' x 12' bedroom like many would either!

Hence my supreme desire to get inside one of the Jubilee Bass bins in order to see exactly what topology/measurement Klipsch has decided to utilize for the throat. The MF &/or HF horns are not a big issue. Lots of options there. The biggest choice with regards to them is again the Q for use in a room.

Edit:

And as both Michael and Dean have mentioned, active EQ with delay!

Seems a good use for a pair of Crown Macrotech 24x6s.

Willy----The horns used in the Klipsch theatre mains have horizontal dispersion of either 80 or 90 degrees and vertical of 50 or 60, depending on the horn.

In my experience 90 degree horns work very well in the home even at rather short distances from the speaker. Narrower or wider can get you into trouble (depending on the room and your taste) but 90 degrees seems to work very well in a wide variety of rooms.

I never heard these Klipsch theatre speakers in a home setting but I've heard lots of Altec and JBL theatre speakers sounding superb in homes so I don't see why the Klipsch wouldn't sound good. I've no doubt that using an active crossover and maybe a little EQ I could get those Klipsch theatre speakers sounding great in a house, no doubt at all.

Due to the distance the LF travels inside the horn, Roy Delgado was using EV electronic crossover units with digital delay to compensate for the time differences. He explained that its more than just the microsecond timing, but that as the sound waves get out of phase a host of other problems result. He was very strong on the use of delay with folded horn cabinets and our group discussed that it would be a good idea for Khorn owners as well. Roy suggested the use of the Behringer unit for home use due to it's lower cost, and said that despite any electronic flaws inside the unit that you are still better off having the delay in the signal path. He was very strong on the use of them. Didn't even consider using any type of passive xover on the Jubilees.

Note that althought the Jubilee is built to fit into a corner and gets some additional bass by that position, it does NOT require a corner for loading like the Khorn does. You could put it flat against the wall if you wanted. Likewise, the grille cloth and hardwood veneer could easily be added to the Pro version.

Michael

We always associate the folded LF horns with 'bass', but they are responsible for cranking out a surprising amount of midrange. The Klipschorn cabinet starts to rolloff at 325Hz, and nose-dives at 500Hz. It makes for a great three-way, but is unsuitable for a "great" two-way. PWK's and Roy Delgado's goal was to make a LF cabinet that would go high enough to allow for the use of a 2" driver. Most of these drivers seem to do best (on paper) crossed over at 600Hz with a 24db/octave slope, or 800Hz or above using 12dB/octave. The Jubilee LF cabinet does 800Hz easily, and actually has useable output to 1kHz. I suspect Delgado is crossing over around 650Hz. At any rate, with that amount of midrange being off-loaded to the Jubilee cabinet, the "timing" issue becomes more critical -- namely, group delay and phase response.

There's more to it than just that...and here's a little experiment you can do to portray the effects of mis-aligned bass:

Playback a test tone with a frequency as low as your system can cleanly

handle - then crank it up to a good volume. Now try to have a

conversation with another person in the room....you will notice that it

changes how your voice sounds. There are aplitude shifts that create

sum and difference tones (which are very audible). When music is

recorded, it is processed in such way that all the complex interactions

sound pleasing - but when you introduce delay with the lower

frequencies, you are now modulating every other frequency in the

spectrum, causing the same thing you heard with your voice with the

subwoofer playing a really low note. (If possible, try playing a tone

that you can't even hear - say 16Hz or so...it's a very surreal

experience).

Thanks for the replies . So it seems that it is feasable . I was kinda thinking that mating the bass bin of the Jubilee with Al K's Trachorn and Beyma tweeter tops along with some creative networks could make for a formidable system . But at the moment I am just daydreaming . I have niether the room nor the budget to make this happen . At this time . [;)]

Sunburn,

Yeh, one thing that would make the dream even more feasible and

workable is that the Jubilee bass bin performs enough better than the

Khorn bass bin that it makes a two way possible. Yippee.

A few weeks ago there was a post from someone who had purchased one of

the Pro Series Jubilee type units which was a big three way outfit. IMO

that would be too much speaker for most home settings.

The home version of the Jubilee simply has a single HF driver to cover

the mids and high end and it works wonderfully. Sounds fabulous.

For someone who wanted to do a diy type project, Klipsch will well the Jubilee bass bins for $1500 each.

I would love to do that project too. Who knows if or when it would ever

happen at my house, but I tell you something, that two way Jubilee is

the best sounding speaker I've ever heard.

Doesn't require corners, either. PWK and his right hand, Roy Delgado, hit that one out of the park.

Hmmmm------the Jubilee bassbins combined with Altec 288Ks on Edgar saladbowls or Altec multicells or 311s. Should be able to do it for, what, $4500 the pair tops, probably cheaper. Build an EV Patrician style civilized cover for them and I'd have just the place for them in the new house that's a'buildin' (NOT on the Gulf).

Hmmm.

James Island ? I was thinking more White Point Gardens , " AKA , The Battery ! " Heck I work about a 1/4 mile away from there ... In fact my Great Grandfather and his brothers had a band in the late 19th century that used to play the Pavillion there ! Oh , to go back in time with the Jubilees and a generator !!! They would have to fire up the Cannons again to keep up !!!

did we ever decide what to crossover for the high end of the jubilee? you guys know I like the BMS H4591, but what about an Altec 288 or 299? crossed over at 650-700hz...what horn? geez 311s are damn expensive these days and hard top find...but I cannot see anyhting from JBL, BMS, etc. that looks like it fits the bill. tony