Tube amps

33klfan

Since my main type of music to listen to is rock, will a tube amp be a much improved difference over my NAD T753 with the Rotel RCD-1072. The difference in sound with the rotel and panasonic is slim for a $700 cd player vs. $100 dvd player with my receiver, but i just want your guys opinion if the tube amp will change all that. Like changing the slim difference to a more night and day difference. I'm thinking of a budget tube amp, $500-$1000. Any ideas with a tube amp would be nice to. I eventually want to have strictly two channel, so that's where i am headed. Right now the rotel is not much difference in my system but the bass is tighter and the recordings are more open, but i'm hoping the difference will be much more than that with a tube amp in near future and audiophile speakers in far future. I hope some of you can help me with this thinking. Any advice is much appreciated. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The more I delve into this hi-fi thing, the more I realise that system matching is paramount. Don't buy a tube amp for the sake of it. Consider what speakers you are going to match the amp with. It's okay to buy now and run your amp with the less than ideal speakers, as long as you have in mind your future speaker purchase.

I'm kind of new to this tube amp idea but supposedly the sound is unmatched with some opinions i have heard. What are you referring to as set amps? Are tube amps set amps. I thought tube amps were suppose to be good with bass, but maybe not. I'm just into the best sound without spending a fortune. I am kind of new into getting into the audiophile setup, but i'm only 18 so i have lots of time. Right now i am using Klipsch SF-1's, I know they aren't audiophile speakers, but they are decent. The dealer that i deal with now is a private dealer and i deal with the owner. Real nice guy, and he gives me a lot of info on this kind of thing voluntarily. He really knows his stuff. He has been telling me about vandersteen's, so they are in my mind right now for the future. My biggest thing is i don't want to keep the rotel if i don't change the system i have now. It should be MUCH better sounding though hooked up to more audiophile equipment than my panasonic would be, right? I'm sorry i don't understand set amps and push pull but my research is beginning. What is the classification of the receiver i have now, like u talk about set amps and push pull, so what's mine considered as? Thanks for all your guys help so far, i hope this new update can get me more information. Thanks

If your musical tastes include being slammed with heavy bass then for your $500-$1000 budget you might be better off staying with solid state. You could get a very nice rebuilt integrated tube amp that would sound great, but depending upon your speakers, the 30WPC or so might not deliver what you want.

I'm just into the best sound without spending a fortune.

Isn't this statement considered an oxymoron?[8-)]

You picked the wrong hobby my friend[:)] This sickness that you have yet to realize is only going to get much worse. It is truly a cancer to your wallet.

Break off the addiction now while you still have time.[;)]

Is solid state like what i have now. My klipsch sf-1's are 94db. It's not really all bassy material. Maybe i mislead by rock, it's not heavy metal rock. More like green day, blink 182, different punk/rock bands, and stuff like relient k, five for fighting. I also listen to norah jones, josh groban, but rock is mainly what i listen to. It's more like soft to medium compared to like rob zombie, which i don't listen to. I have quite a range. I play my music sort of loud but not blow your ears out loud, i like to hear no distortion, which i can at high volumes, but i keep the sound at reasonably average listening levels. My receiver starts at -74db and i listen to it at about -30 to -25. It's just about right. My room as of now is 10.5' x 11.5'.

If someone is really trying to help you then they would hold off on making any recommendation. In order to make your next purchase a good one you need to dig in and do some heavy reading? Find out the pro and cons. I know you want to buy now (I go through that all the time) but I'm telling you hold off until you are educated more.

You may not like this advice but if you follow it you will thank me later. I could name you 5 amps right now that I think would work but that just would not be fair.

Look into the differences in tube audio and then start to narrow down your search based on what you want in the end. I bet you find that the search is as much fun as the buy.[:D]

It might be an oxymoron, but u can get away with pretty dang good sound without spending multithousands unless u have the cash to splurge. I am critical, but i know what my limits are. And i know i am addicted, but i am smart with my money too[:)]. It's a fun addiction and my whole family loves my system and i bought piece by piece, not all at one time. It's fun that way, and you aren't broke all at once. I have gotten away with the system i have now for regular price of $3,500. Over 2 years of adding that is. That's speakers, receiver, dvd player, and cd player. I spent much less than that though.

No, no, I really appreciate the advice. I just purchased the cd player and my main beginning concern was if i should keep it till i get into strictly two channel because the difference between this rotel and my panasonic is slim with the system i have now. I may have came off saying that i want to buy a tube amp right away. It will actually be a few months. I just bought that $700 rotel, remember [:)]. This rotel is considered to be comparable to $2,500 cd players. I mainly bought the rotel to set up with an amp, which i'll eventually get if, now this is your opinion, if the difference will be significantly better than the setup i have now. Thanks Dylanl.

It might be an oxymoron, but u can get away with pretty dang good sound without spending multithousands unless u have the cash to splurge. I am critical, but i know what my limits are. And i know i am addicted, but i am smart with my money too[:)]. It's a fun addiction and my whole family loves my system and i bought piece by piece, not all at one time. It's fun that way, and you aren't broke all at once. I have gotten away with the system i have now for regular price of $3,500. Over 2 years of adding that is. That's speakers, receiver, dvd player, and cd player. I spent much less than that though.

I could not agree more. Your comments sound like a person who has his head screwed on straight. I feel I have done the same when it comes to the expense ( Don't ask my wife though ).

If you are looking for a dedicated 2 channel system I would recommend that you start by listening to another forum members set up. Where do you live? If you are close to me you are welcome to listen to my humble system. If not there has got to be a fellow forum member close to you that would let you come over. Klipsch guys love to show off. Anyway, this will give you a good idea of what you like and dislike.

Post that you want to listen to a well setup 2 channel system near you. I would recommend the heritage line or a modified set RF7 to listen to. The people here should be glad to help.

Thanks for your help and comments. I think your wife thinks the same about my situation the way my parents do. They have helped though for some of my purchases like some were for christmas preasants and money towards other purchases. My local dealer in selinsgrove, the stereo shoppe has a bunch of 2 channel set ups. He's a klipsch dealer and real hifi dealer, but he treats u the same no matter if u buy a $50 item or thousands like some do. I'm sure he'll let me listen to some systems when i am looking closer to buy. I am trustworthy, but for people i don't know i don't like just going to their homes if u know what i mean. By the way i am about 4 hrs away from pittsburgh.

I don't know what price range those 5 amps are that you were talking about, but u can list them. I can do research on them. I like to see what people suggest. It's not like that's what i am going to buy. I mainly want new though, unless i wouldn't have to go through ebay, someone local would be preferrable for an used tube amp.

You can start with an integrated, something like a Scott 299B for vintage or a Cayin TA-30 for new. I don't think you could go wrong with either of these although the Scott would need rebuilt but the initial price on the amp is low. If you want to take the next step you will be able to recoup your money and invest in separates.

If I were ever to decide on the Cayin, just out of curiosity, where is there a dealer in PA if any. If not in PA how do you buy this amp since it's a german company and mainly sold in Europe. I did take a look at one review and they look nicely built and good review, look like they cost 5 times the price of what they are.

I can tell you that my Scott 299b delivers tons of bass and more then enough power with my cornwalls. 30 watts of tube power is plenty. The 299b is about 17 wpc and shakes the house.

Do some research and become familiar with the different types of tube amps and you'll be able to make a better, more informed decision when you're ready to purchase one.