I need help to Klipschorn decorator model

bevers

Hi,

I am new here and need help. Who can tell me more about my Klipschorn decorator model.

The type is: KD-BB.

Serial number: IIR528 and IIR478

Question: When were they made? 70´s?

I am using them for more than ten years, together with a MX110 and a MC275. Great sound...[:D]

Thanks for your answers.

Daniel

The differences between the "D" model and the "B" and "C" models is purely aesthetic... as they all sound the same. As you may have noticed, the "D" were sold unfinished (no stain or varnish) and without an enclosed top cabinet or side grills.

They weren't as popular due to their utilitarian look. They often found their ways into commercial installations as well as into some homes of those who were on a tight budget but who refused to compromise sound quality. I currently own one pair of these unusual Khorns...

You would have to post the serial numbers to know when they were manufactured... as it includes a date code.

Later...
Rob

PS: Just noticed you edited your message... and those were made in 1977 (the "R" in the code) see: Klipsch Date Codes Explained

Daniel,

Welcome to the forum.

In the years since their manufacture in 1977, the capacitors in the

balancing networks will have drifted off spec and have become at least

somewhat resistive.

To replace those caps with fresh parts of the same value... and WOW,

you will have speakers sounding like the came right out of the factory.

I have been amazed at the difference and improvement in sound this small bit of work can reveal.

Bob Crites, "BEC" on this forum is one of several persons who could

rebuild them for you, or possibly ship the parts if you wanted to DIY

the project.

Daniel,

Welcome to the forum.

In the years since their manufacture in 1977, the capacitors in the balancing networks will have drifted off spec and have become at least somewhat resistive.

To replace those caps with fresh parts of the same value... and WOW, you will have speakers sounding like the came right out of the factory.

I have been amazed at the difference and improvement in sound this small bit of work can reveal.

Bob Crites, "BEC" on this forum is one of several persons who could rebuild them for you, or possibly ship the parts if you wanted to DIY the project.

Listen to him. He speaks the truth. I've heard. I believe.[:)]

Woo

Who can tell me more about my Klipschorn decorator model. The type is: KD-BB.

Ironically the best "non modified" image i have is from the 1974 price

list... but most ended up being covered, painted, or added-to buy

their buyers...

You can see the page larger by clicking on it...

post-11489-13819272083534_thumb.jpg

Thanks Guys! Really cool forum.

Then I will start to think to change the network´s, or at least a part of it. I have a bigger room again soon, about 22m2. Since one year I have them in a quite small one. Can´t wait. I moved them from Switzerland to Denmark, what a work... [:)] I said to my self, they come with me, or I don´t move.[;)]

Happy I did it, even my wife got addicted to the sound of tubes and the horns.

Again thanks for the replies

Daniel

Hi welcome...They were and still are made in Hope,Ark snd i have rebuilt my 74 crossovers with parts from BEC on this forum and they do sound better.Also ALK has a new design type crossover you can build or by from him, i built one of those for my LaScalas to.Rick