FS: Heresy crossovers, DeanG built, modified

scott0527

See the link below for the scoop on these crossovers. I'm going old school and putting my rebuilt E crossovers back in. These sounded very good. I was not as intoxicated as Dean was(see post) but then I hear he never could hold his liqueur! At times, I really liked them a lot better, other times, I couldn't tell as much of a difference. Search the acrhives, there was a lot of thought put into the design which I believe was done by John Albright.

I guess there is about $250 worth of pretty yellow and white caps, shiny coils and the like. The cedar base board kept the moths out. These were in my very sweet 1971 near mint Heresys and I just feel better having them as close to stock form as possible.

$150 shipped, let me know if you want them.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/500418/ShowPost.aspx

post-15692-13819272076214_thumb.jpg

Are these the parts on that crossover?

2) 2uF Hovland, $41.50

(2) 13uF Auricap, $40.48

(1) 6.8 Auricap, $14.38

(1) 6.8 Kimber, $18.78

(2) 1uF Harmony, $11.00

(2) 2.5mH Sledgehammer, $17.90

(2) UT 3619, $70.00

(2) Terminal strips, $9.80

(2) Boards, $10.00

Is this correct? Heck, I might buy them

That's why I don't mind buying them back for $150. The 13uF Auricap retails for $38.60, and the 6.8uF for $27.32 -- your list from the original FS post reflects my OEM pricing.

Truthfully though -- not my best work.

1) They were put together using caps I had soldered in and out several times while doing listening tests with different setups. Because of solder creep, I ended up clipping leads down on some of the caps -- which is why the connection points don't look the same between boards.

2) If you look closely at the Auricap on the front board, the cap says 9uF, but actually measures 6.8uF (mislabeled by Audience) -- so if you do a visual inspection, it looks like I used the wrong cap and didn't know what in the hell I was doing.

3) It was the first time I gave epoxy a whirl for mounting the caps to the boards. The stuff didn't set fast enough and the caps kept shifting. I think it looks like crap. Hot melt is sweet because it's kind of thick, and when you drop the cap down it pretty much stays put. I've since gone to mounts and tie straps.

4) And finally, I was so busy being full of myself for salvaging all of the caps for a project that I forgot about the damn holes -- which I ended up having no choice but to drill in the wrong place.

So, they ended up being heavily discounted, and Dee had these first for $250 -- which was pretty fair for a hack job with pricey parts. At any rate, I have a nice trick that will work for getting these caps off the boards without damaging them, and then I'll just save them back for myself.

I think it's a great sounding filter IF the Heresys are elevated and pretty much at ear level. On the floor, or against a wall/corner -- the top becomes too subdued. The Type E suffers from the opposite problem -- elevated, without some boundary reinforcement -- the Heresy will shred the ears.

Dean,

Well I keep hearing you want them but you haven't answered my email/pm. You want to paypal me? Send me a check? I need your address.

I got a couple others in line so let me know if your're talking or buyin'[:)]

-Scott

PS. I wondered about the 9uf cap. I couldn't imagine what you were doing with that and why it was different than the other one.