building a set of k-horns

bigdnfay

gentlemen,

just let me start by saying i have just recently found your forum and it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.i have always been an audio lover and in my youth even worked in a few high-end audio stores.

i am about to embark on a project i have wanted to do for some time.build a set of k-horns.

i feel i have above average woodworking skills and feel confident the cabinets won't be a problem. i have the plans i will use and have a pair of used k-33's on the way.

i'm missing tweeters, midhorns and crossovers. this is where i hope all of you can be of some assistance.

have to do this on a budget(1200.00 or so), so using good used parts won't be a problem. i have many questions.

have found some older k-77's or t-35's and would like to know if diaphrams are still avalible as there are no diaphrams present in tweets now.

i have read alot of the forum inputs and most seem to be at odds as

to which mids to use. i would like to stay true to the k-horn design and use k-55's if there are any used ones to be found and replacement diaphrams still avalible.

as for crossovers, any suggsetions would be helpful.

do i buy them new from klipsch or try to find used ones. Al's x-overs sound like a good option.

in closing, let me thank you in advance for any input or suggestions that may arise.

thanks,

bigdnfay

BDF -- Sounds like you're on the right track. I would suggest Al's networks; since you're starting from scratch, might as well have the best. I've got 2 for my Cornwalls and one for my Belle. Sound wonderful. Big upgrade. When my K'horns arrive in a week, I'll probably be calling him.

For diaphragms, you can buy them from Klipsch for about $75/each, or you can go to Electrovoice. I don't have their p/n (help, someone!), but I think they're about $25/each, so save yourself $100 there. For the squawkers, I'd browse Ebay for them, or maybe even find an older set of Heresy's ... if the cabinets are beat up, you could probably do pretty well for the pair, have a backup set of tweets, sell the woofers and refinish the cabinets -- sell those too. People always looking for parts.

Good luck, and take some pix for posting here when you're building the bass bins on your Khorns!

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

thanks for the reply bdf,

sounds like al's x-over is the way i'll go. need to know how much and where to go. i'm now using a pair of 1980 heresy's and a denon dra-825r on my computer to listen to mp3's. may resort to cannibalizing them for mid's,if i can't find them on ebay(would hate to do that cause my computer rocks).but if i do, doesn't the horn itself need to be changed(larger).where besides klipsch do i find them? metal or plastic? heard some metal horns have some undesirable qualities. you tell me. will probably have many more questions.

thanks again

I built a pair from the SpeakerLab plans. Never again.

My thought is that you'd be better off reverse engineeing the Jubilee based on the AES article. It is a lot more simple to build and has better performance in the bass. Getting the angles of elements on the K-Horn is just too time consuming.

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 10-01-2001 at 12:13 AM

• 2 weeks later...

gentlemen,

have decided to use a pair of ev t-35a's.downloaded al k. crossover schems and i think i will build them myself. would like to use k-55-v mids if i can find a pair (have looked at the emenince md2001s mid..any comments), but i need some help on what kind of horn to use. horns from klipsch are thru the roof. any good alternatives out there. please any info would be helpful.

bigdnfay

• 2 weeks later...

ha guys,

i am looking for a pair of k-55v mids. willin to pay a fair price for drivers and horns or just drivers. there was a pair on ebay with horns. e-mailed the guy to see if he would be willing to sell them out right. he agreed. i get an e-mail the next form him with some sob story about his greediness and that he had had another offer. i countered that offer and he still sold them to the other guy....i got HOSED. so i don't want to hear a bunch of crap about finding them on e-bay..........sorry,had to blow off some steam..dohhh!

that's why i'm here where things are alittle more civilized.

if anyone knows of a pair PLEASE let me know.

thank you for your time.

bigdnfay

So John, what have you done with those seven units? I'm trying to imagine a HT with three Khorns up front (the center channel has false corners), two rears and two sides ... Whew Smile.gif

Also curious if you veneered them, and if yes, with what?

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Gil-

Thank you! Once I made jigs to cut a few of the "difficult" panels AND established an assembly method, probability of success is greatly improved.

Chris-

All seven units are gone, sold. I own one factory unit that is circa 1958, and another that is 1983.

The 1958 unit is factory white and the 83 unit is a

KDBR not to mention that ALL of the drivers are different.

Main rig is a pr of EV Patrician IVs.

• 3 weeks later...

AL,

Thank you for posting the schemes of your crossovers on the net and allowing us to benefit from your knowledge and experience. completed my version this week with the exception of the jumpers, still on backorder(photo attached,sorry about the quality). have no way to test them yet.i'll be starting the k-horn cabinet construction this week. will try to post pics of my progress.

thanks again AL,

bigdnfay

quote:

Originally posted by John Warren:

been there, done that. This is why I love PWK's creation, I've made 7 units in my life and they NEVER get ANY easier.

that is some seriously nice woodworking you have there!

MVC-003X.JPG

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional help you want email Amy or call her toll free @ 1-888-554-5665

Thank you justin!

Bigdnfay-

here is a couple of other pics to give you a "feel" for what your in for.

012-2 -> this is what you are trying to get, all compound angles add up to this "imaginary plane" in space. If you are off anywhere, you get caught at this VERY LAST ASSEMBLY STEP and the horn is a junker.

019X -> Rear chamber illuminated from within.

022X -> you never can have too many screws. There is a real trick to installing screws this way,

1. dry assemble

2. outine fit with pencil

3. pilot drill (making note of how the boards come together and where the pilot should go)

4. load screws in panel

5. bead glue joint, both surfaces

6. fit and then drive screws.

Gentlemen,

i was on-line last week looking for a pair of k-55's to complete the parts list for constructing my khorns. i ran across a deal i couldn't pass up. a set of vintage cornerhorns and a belle. so i swooped in and hit the buy it now button. i didn't think $1300 was to much to pay for these beauties. went to charlotte n.c. to pick them up. got them home that evening and set them up. WOW..it sounded as if the walls in my house were non-existant(far cry from my heresey's). after a couple days of intense listening, i put the crossovers that i had built from AL's schemes in(intended for my homemade khorns) and from the first note the hair on the back of my neck stood straight up. Kudos to AL once again. clean..tight..detailed

the serial number for all three has the letter "N". can anyone tell me the year these were built.

i am still going to build a set of khorns, if i can drag myself away from my listening room long enough. four khorns and a belle should make a pretty serious home theater....duh..ya think! later guys

Bigdnfay