Review: Krell Monster Reference Deep-bass sub-woofer

Colin

I notice that the Klipsch KSW 12 went down in the rankings. I know that S&V just tested it again, so what changed? Before it had more avg output, and no listing at 20 Hz. Did Klipsch change something in the subs, or did the measuring techniques or room change?

Bryan

------------------

"... But Honey - I promise this is the last thing I will have to buy for the Home Theater"

Mistubishi VS60603 60" RPTV

Denon AVR 3802 Receiver

Denon DVM 1800 DVD Changer

JVC 3600U SVHS VCR

RCA DirecTV Satellite Tuner

Klipsch RB5 - Mains

Klipsch RC3 - Center

Klipsch RCW3 - In-wall Surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 - Sub (hopefully an RSW12 whenever they come out!)

Monster Power Conditioner HTS1000

Acoustic Research Pro Series Interconnects

theEAR,

The SVS Ultra is a recent addition to the SVS line and as I understand it it takes a while for products to get through the publication loop. SVS had their first TN review published this past June and if I remember correctly they submitted the subs close to 10 months prior to that.

I'm sure that you understand that the list that Tom posted is what Tom Nousaine has reviewed to date. I believe that if a sub isn't on the list it's because TN hasn't gotten to it yet. My understanding is that he is THE MAN when it comes to sub reviews and every manufacturer that truly believes in their sub wants him to review it. I'm sure that he has to pick and choose what subs to review.

------------------

Primary System:

Main KG-4

Center KV-3

Rear RS-3

Yamaha HTR-5250

Sony DVP-S560D

Panasonic PV-9664

Sony DBS system

Studio:

Main KG-3

Sony STR-AV920

Pioneer PD-4351

>>>Very incomplete to say the least!<<<

it's the most comprehensive database of it's kind in the world.

>>>Where is the...

Sunfire Signature

Sunfire Mark II

Revel B15

Aerial Acoustics SW12<<<

Ask the manufacturers why they aren't breaking down TOm Nousaine's door with their products then. TN surely won't refuse a review...esp. of a 28k woof!If the manufacturers feel confident in their cost/performance ratio....they would have their products reviewed by someone using objective methods asap I would think?

>>>The only Sunfire in the list is the 9" cube Junior!?

The Junior is far from even a Mark II or a Signature.

The Signature will put out almost as much as a HGS18 around 25-30Hz.Strange its not even on this wonderful list.<<<

you should ask sunfire why it's not there,TN isn't going to trun anyone away you know.And the sig might match the output of the 18 with no distortion limits...but I don't see it being much of a threat with distortion limits in place.

>>>Where is the Revel B15? Hmmm missing! This sub has more output then a HGS18 around 25-30Hz!Where is it?<<<

Ask Revel?

>>Maybe I invented this sub,hmmmm.<<<

Maybe you should learn more about the industry? There's something called *lead time* and you seem to enjoy sarcastic replies rather than informative exchanges of information/opinions.

>>>Where is the impressive SVS Ultra?<<<

It's in *review* right now...might take months to see anything in print of course. Ease up on the redundant marathon of sarcasm you enjoy...learn a little about what you're talking about...and you wouldn't have to ask so many silly questions.

TV

You know....this thread reminds of some sage advice given to me many years ago and it went like this:

"Tom, never argue with a crazy person. Why? Because on-lookers won't be able to tell which is which."

Give it up guys. It's obvious TheEAR thinks the sun rises & sets at the Krell factory. Further, if his subs aren't included in a discussion about excellent subs, the discussion & opinion are bogus. Everyone has a right to an opinion and so does he and that's cool (personally, I find his sarcasm borish, petty, condescending and unnecessary - but, hey that's just me).

As for the original message....Colin, FWIW, I understand the point you were trying to make and the message you attempted to convey. Your only mistake was posting something that didn't gush all over Krell. Smile.gif

Tom Adams

TV you are hilarious

You begin to show stress here,when someone does not agree your subs are the absolute best value in the known universe you get hyper.

And you are the only known sub( uh sonotube? ) designer to "make the krell pee all over itself". YOUR WORDS MT TV N'EST CE PAS?

"Ease up on the redundant marathon of sarcasm you enjoy...learn a little about what you're talking about...and you wouldn't have to ask so many silly questions."

Smile.gif

You are right Mr TV I dont know as much about sonotube as you do.You are the sonotube master,I should be shot because I dared to question your products.Bad me,I should hail Mr TV and discard my overpriced,unmusical Krell junk.I should know better

Frown.gif

I may cry,cry a river.

Anybody with a box of Kleenex?

TheEAR(s) Now theears

"Tom, never argue with a crazy person. Why? Because on-lookers won't be able to tell which is which."

Welcome to the club Tom.

"It's obvious TheEAR thinks the sun rises & sets at the Krell factory."

The only obvious thing here is you got it wrong.I said and say it agin I would not buy a Krell MRS and I did not say it a good value,its a poor value at $35000.

I just did not like the arrogant GOD of sonotube to pee over Krell.It may cause some short circuits in my amp! Frown.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

as far as the published specs & independent reviews & tastes & opinions aside, i would have to say that sv subs are the best value in the universe. i hope to get 1 or 2 soon.

cwm35.gif

thing is cost is the common denominator of value. if i had the space, for the same price as an HGS-18 or B15 discounted, i could get 2 svs ultra w/ amps. just can't compete w/ that, sans the image, prestige & marketing factors. cwm35.gif

again no slam on the other subs including my vel HGS-18. jmo but seems pretty obvious. pretty hard for 1 sub to compete w/ 2, especially when those 2 are pretty darn good.

And keep going and going...

Boa I dont disagree with you here,the SVS Ultras may(90% sure thing) very well be the best values in High-End subs.On Earth,the universe is vast and who knows there may be a another sonotube "genius" on planet SVS who has the SVS SE line for under a grand! Who knows?

Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

>>>TV you are hilarious

You begin to show stress here,when someone does not agree your subs are the absolute best value in the known universe you get hyper.<<<

No...it would take someone with a bit of contradictory knowledge on the matter to get me the least bit hyper really. If anything...I think how much time I've wasted trying to pass on some basic *woofage fast facts* to someone obviously more concerned with turning a bass related discussion into a "let's see who can post the more sarcastic BS contest".

If you stop typing *LOL* long enough to review this thread...you'd see I've tried to concentrate on some very basic facts of woofage...and only spoke of the SVS products when they were introduced by another party(yourself actually).

>>>And you are the only known sub( uh sonotube? ) designer to "make the krell pee all over itself". YOUR WORDS MT TV N'EST CE PAS?<<<

If you're going to quote me,have the courtesy to do so in full context. I said for 15k svs could build anyone a subwoofer that would make the krell pee all over itself.

That would be relatively easy BTW. As least if we're equating *peeing on itself* to being compared to a subwoofer with say 4-8x it's clean output capablitiy.

The hard part would be approaching/matching $28,000 of krell for less than 10% of the cost with the same footprint...now THAT would be a design challenge. Of course, the current owners of the dual CS_U package already know SVS has met this goal and is moving on...

TV

I will try to borrow a pair of SVS Cylinder series(moidel unknown,I think they are the mid-sized units)this weekend from an audiophile I know.I will drive them with my Carver TFM-75.

I will compare them to all my subs(one by one to be fair).

If your subs show promise(they should from what I saw on the Nousaine test list)I will shut my trap. Smile.gif LOL

I dont argue with quality and value.Who can

TheEAR(s) Now theears

• 3 weeks later...

ears, have u got the hgs-18 yet? i think u said on another thread the sunfires beat the hgs in HT. u musta meant the hgs-10 Smile.gif

to me the hgs-18 beats the sunfires in both HT & music in both quality & qauntity hands down. time to let it go on the sunfires LOL

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front)

Klipsch KLF C7 (center)

Klipsch Cornwall I (rear)

Klipsch KLF C7 (rear center)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

B&K Reference 30 preamp/processor

Acurus A200X5 power amp

Marantz MA6100 mono amp (rear center)

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Monster HTS2500 & HT200 powercenters

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Technics dual cassette deck

Monster HTS1000 powercenter

Bedroom:

Sony STR-DE935 receiver

Technics cube speakers

rock on!

Boa why did you revive this WAR like thread? cwm13.gif

FYI the Sunfire Signature beats the HHS10,HGS12 and is at the same level as the HGS15.In output down to about 20Hz.Below the HGS15 takes ouver,around 25-40 the Sunfire can take on any sub made without shame.

Did you hear a well setup Sunfire Signature? I think not.

Yes Boa I now have the big Velo HGS18! Smile.gif Yes this brutha(in a good way)beats hands down the Sunfire Signature.It better,the HGS-18 goes for 5 grand in Canada,the Sunfire for 3.

I now use the HGS-18 and the Revel B15 in my main HT system! Smile.gif The output of both subs is awesome,the bass shakes the foundation. In my second HT system the four Sunfire subs flex the walls(from 25 to 80Hz the Sunfires can keep up with the big Velo and Revel).

So NO I keep the Sunfires,by the way the Sunfire Mark II beats the HGS10 in HT,easy.EASY as 1 2 and 3. LOL

The Sunfire listen in the loooong list(TN) posted by TV

is the tiny Junior(much lesser in output then the Mark II or the larger Signature).

TheEAR(s) Now theears

sorry ears, came home late last PM & just chose a thread where u mentioned the sunfires. didn't realize it was a war thread Redface.gif

the sunfire true was set up well w/ a pair of martin logans.

did sound really good especially on HT (the matrix).

figured u probably meant the hgs-10. sorry again.

my hgs-18 is still getting loose & sounding great. it's strengths are that ability to really hit hard on those lower lows & of course that clean bass. cwm35.gif

This message has been edited by boa12 on 10-22-2001 at 02:02 AM

I was joking Boa,this is now a peace thread. Smile.gif

The HGS-18 is a wonderful sub.It alone can bring the full might of any DVD to life.I had Matrix is the DVD player and I am very pleased with the HGS-18.

I the HGS-18 does outperform the Revel B15,by a bit.

The bass quality is very close,the HGS-18 sound cleaner when pushed to the limits(ouf the limits are far and LOUD).Velodyne has a mighty sub in the HGS-18.

I will not sell this wonder anytime soon.Its a keeper.

Now I know why you like the HGS-18 so much!

The problem with the Sunfires subs is they dont have much above 60Hz.The Sunfires performe best when cut very low(40-50Hz).As soon as I get the RF-7(ARGGGHHHH)I will set the crossover points to 40Hz on the Sunfires.I know they worked great with the Dunaudio Contours cut off at 40.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

ears, got that new b&k pre/pro set up now (i think).

in my room the klf-30 & hgs seem to go best w/ everything set small & a low/highpass at 50hz. tried lower cross but didn't seem to make much dif as the 30s put out pretty good to 30hz. once i took the low pass below that i noticed some loss in bass quantity.

what did make a big dif was the low pass slope. the B&K allows 6db/oct, 12db & 24db. sounds great w/ the 12db/oct. high pass slope not a lot of dif between 12 or 24db. put that on 12db also.

also what really helped is the B&K's notch EQ. i had a big jump on the meter from around 44-56hz (right across

the 50hz crossover). took that notch -4db & things are

peachy. looks like i'm finally set unless something blows up. now on to the backroom & bedroom Smile.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front)

Klipsch KLF C7 (center)

Klipsch Cornwall I (rear)

Klipsch KLF C7 (rear center)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

B&K Reference 30 preamp/processor

Acurus A200X5 power amp

Marantz MA6100 mono amp (rear center)

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Monster HTS2500 & HT200 powercenters

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Technics dual cassette deck

Monster HTS1000 powercenter

Bedroom:

Sony STR-DE935 receiver

Technics cube speakers

rock on!

Sound like you have a great system Boa.Yes not its time to set up great systems in other rooms.

I started with one room and now almost every room has sound in it.Soon I may add the ToiletSub. cwm27.gif

And a set of THX washroom speakers to match!

Audio is important to me,I have to have sound quality in all rooms.Even the bathroom! Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears