Tubey newby

yaffstone

I've just done a BIN for a Dynaco St-70. Pretty pristine original

shape. Any pointers would be appreicated. Should this be

left turned on so the bias voltage doesn't drift? Should I leave

it alone, or apply upgrades like modern capacitors etc?

Thanks for any advice. BTW, this amp will be driving a set of k-horns.

Cheers,

David

The good news is that a refurbished vintage integrated tube amplifier less than a grand can sound as almost good in some wonderful respects - as the very best super amplifier I ve ever heard on big ole horns the Nelson Pass majestic $6K, Single-Ended, Class-A, X250 Stereo Amplifier (February 2002, http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0202/passx250.htm).

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The bad news is that their sound degrades slowly. The parts get old, yet the amplifier still works. Unlike modern solid-state receivers, where if any goes the slightest wrong, boom! The thing stops working. The tube amplifier keeps chugging along, but the sound gets worse and the magic is just not there. Anything that has or has not been used in the last decade or two or three or four (!) needs a overhaul. Most of the major parts that wear with mileage; tubes, starter, alternator, etc. will need replacing with newer ones, but the chassis and wiring should still be good. [H]

PS horns LOVE tubes!

If it is indeed original do yourself a favor and either rebuild it yourself or have it done. Like Colin stated above these old babies may work but 99% of the time there not working properly but still play music. The longer there let run in that condition the harder it is on the transformers.

Craig

David, The truth is, if you can figure out which end of a soldering iron is hot, you can spruce it up yourself. The guy that built the amp you just bought in all likelyhood had to go out and buy a soldering iron too.

There are many good kits for upgrading the safty features on an ST-70 and at the same time they improve the sound. Properly installed, the amp can be converted back to original for future "collector value".

Have some fun!!!!!

Rick

If you want one that has already been serviced by Craig, I think TravisC (Wayne) has one that he may want to part with last I knew. Couldn't hurt to have a pair of them, have one running while the other is getting serviced. Wish I knew you were looking for one.

Wayne is up here in the Burlington area.

Yes, getting it refreshened with modern caps would be a good idea.

If I am listening to my Stereo 70, I will leave it on for awhile. But, as soon as I leave the room for extended periods of time (or go to sleep or leave the house) - mine goes off. Saves wear and tear on tubes and the whole safety issue thing.......

Enjoy - its one of the old workhorses.

Carl.

Well Fedex managed to put a damper on my spirit and only delivered one of my amps, so I was at least able to admire it anyway. The tubes I need and the other amp are in the other box scheduled to be delivered today.

Well I at least cleaned it off and polished the chrome with Never-Dull and it looks sharp, I can't wait to hear it working. Boy they are sure heavy for their size. The anticipation continues!

I've been reading some and find that there are numerous upgrades

available for an ST-70. The power supply quad cap replacement

seems like a great idea. Has anyone done the triode input stage

conversion? Wonder if this one is worth it. BTW, I have

quite a few soldering irons, DVM's an o-scope, and some experience with

solid state design and trouble shooting. Never worked on or

listened to tubes, but then I guess it's never too late to start.

Thanks for the advice,

David