Tubes Didn't Thrill Me!

Frzninvt

"Not sure about this mysterious 1/3 triode 2/3 pentode thing though. Not sure how that could be accomplished."

It has multiple pairs of output tubes and switches some into triode depending on how you configure it.

Do a search on Mesa Baron and you will find loads of info on it.

Shawn

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it's called "TandemState Imaging" as the patent say's

3) 5881's per ch.

you can run

1/3 triode + 2/3 Pentode = 120 wpc

2/3 Triode + 1/3 Pentode = 85 wpc

all Pentode = 150 wpc

4 stages of no/ 1, 2, 3 levels neg fdbck

the output tubes are in parallel when split in class of operation, same output xfmr

"Not sure about this mysterious 1/3 triode 2/3 pentode thing though. Not sure how that could be accomplished." It has multiple pairs of output tubes and switches some into triode depending on how you configure it. Do a search on Mesa Baron and you will find loads of info on it. Shawn

Yea just read a review of the amp. IMHO its a road to Sonic nightmare LOL !!

Craig

"IMHO its a road to Sonic nightmare LOL !!"

That amp was loved by just about every review out there... and there were many of them. Mesa has been building tube amps a very very long time.

Their Tigris integrated is even wilder... it uses EL84s AND 6V6s for outputs.

Shawn

Reviews mean absolutely nothing to me. I have heard numorous tube amps that have multiple output tubes stages like this and to me they sound like sh!t. I'm sure its a descent amp I just don't go for the 42 switches and modes of operation type thing. No way to absolutely fine tune all modes IMHO

Craig

"Reviews mean absolutely nothing to me."

Remember that when someone reviews a VRD or a rebuild.

FWIW I tend to find reviews fairly meaningless too... but I wouldn't go so far as to say they 'mean absolutely nothing.'

" No way to absolutely fine tune all modes IMHO"

You can't do that with only one mode either because of the variability in what the amp is going to be driving. A real speaker is a lot different then just an 8 ohm non-inductive resistor and speaker xyz is a lot different then speaker qst.

The adjustments something like the Baron offers allows the user to better fine tune the amp to the speaker/load it is driving. Wether or not that is a good thing is up to the potential buyer.

Shawn

Reviews mean absolutely nothing to me. I

have heard numorous tube amps that have multiple output

tubes stages like this and to me they sound like sh!t. I'm sure

its a descent amp I just don't go for the 42 switches and modes of

operation type thing. No way to absolutely fine tune all modes IMHO

Craig

ya know, Craig

Randall Smith has been building tube amps for 30 some years ....

i think he knows how to optimize his designs by now

the SimulClass amps have been out maybe 20 years .....

would you feel more comfortable with a list of 20 or so positive reviews

5 or 6 of them from Certified Analphile mag's ..??

i mean 20 people can't All be full of Crap, right ..??

Between the preamp used and this picture the MC30's didn't have a prayer.

PostAttachment.aspx

Heck if you look closely the amps don't even electrically match each other. Look at the caps missing and different types on the rear amp in this picture. Cap type (quality) and having the amps electically match each other would make a huge difference. Another absolute is the power supply cans in both amps looks to be the original 45+ year old electrolytes another big ?

The entire problem with people trying vintage tube amps and making tried and true decisions on what they hear is the operating condition is unknown.

Craig

That's my personal tech speaking.....you had better listen up, before you loose something you won't aquire again. Those MC30's are beatiful, and you got a sweet deal. Not likely to happen again, and as Craig pointed out, your comparing apples to spoiled nasty oranges.

Save up, and give it serious thought....IF NASTY SOUR ORANGES SOUNDS CLOSE TO YOUR CUSTOM DBX NOW, ....... JUST IMAGINE WHAT THEY'LL SOUND LIKE ONCE THEY'VE BEEN FRESHENED UP THE PROPER WAY.

Craig's a master at this, give it a shot. If you love music, you won't regrett it.

What. someone is not very happy with a wholly of wholly McIntosh tube amp??? He should be drawn and quartered! Of course it's a wiring problem or cap problem or tube problem or your power cord is crap or your speaker wire is sub-standard or you have cheap inter-connects but it can't be that a SS amp sounds as good, maybe better, than a tube amp! Especially, a McIntosh tube amp! It's just not done! Let the Saints preserve us! What ever shall we do???

Dooooood,

Ease up! This isn't "The Jungle" (a radio show that is sounding a little tired imho). I'm sure there are plenty of SS amps that sound great. Heck, I've heard and had some in my system (Kenwood, Marantz, Classe', Parasound, Theta and Krell) that sounded very nice. My experience has been that some of the better designed tube amps seem to be more "listenable" over the long run than there SS counterparts. Not to mention, the tube amp look. I will also say that the MC 30's are not my favorite Mac amps. IMHO, a tad brown and round sounding.

Regards,

Chris

PS The absolute "best" sounding amp that's been in my system was a Decware "Zen". Wow! That little thing was clear, quiet and accurate. The only problem was a lack of power when I turned it up to "11".

"Reviews mean absolutely nothing to me." Remember that when someone reviews a VRD or a rebuild. FWIW I tend to find reviews fairly meaningless too... but I wouldn't go so far as to say they 'mean absolutely nothing.' " No way to absolutely fine tune all modes IMHO" You can't do that with only one mode either because of the variability in what the amp is going to be driving. A real speaker is a lot different then just an 8 ohm non-inductive resistor and speaker xyz is a lot different then speaker qst. The adjustments something like the Baron offers allows the user to better fine tune the amp to the speaker/load it is driving. Wether or not that is a good thing is up to the potential buyer. Shawn

Shawn

Yaawwwnnn my opinion is what is in respect to review land and when I'm talking review I'm talking professional reviews or in some cases private user reviews. Each person has a different take on sound so if I haven't heard it myself or the opinion isn't coming directly from someone I know and trust. To me it means nothing.

Are we headed for another one of your boring back and forth sessions? My opinion is what it is except it or ignore it. Let's not have another one of your over analytic endeavors I simply don't have time to waste on it life is to short.

Craig

Never said it was a cheap NAD pre. Quite the contrary - I've heard that particular NAD pre before - its a nice piece and I liked it alot. But, I've never heard that pre paired up with tubes. Again, its not about the quality of the pre/pro - its about synergy between the pieces....

And I do not believe he was unhappy with the Macs... he just did not hear as big of a difference as he expected to - simply by hooking up tube amps.

Carl.

Way to go Carl, you tell'em....I was fix'in to woooop out the steak knives and carve him up.