New Record Price on Genalex....Stupid Bidders At Large

Gilbert

Gilbert,

read the questions and answers at the bottom the price is for all eight so $600 a quad if there real isn't bad at all.

No, I emailed the seller. The bid price is PER TUBE. She clairified it in an email to me. I initially emailed her, becasue when I attempted to place a feeler bid, the box came up stating that the bid price was per tube and requested the number of tubes you were willing to purchase at the Bidded per-tube price. It's not likely that they'll be relisted, but I wish.

A similar thing happened with the overzealous 539C Hickok Bidders that took the price to over $13000. They ended up subtracting $10,000 from the high bidders - BID. He took it for the more appropriate $1300 +.

She has another set of tubes that will be listed though. But, after the way this turned out, she'll end up doing the same thing.

There is total confusion with this auction. The seller thinks the price is for all 8. However, the auction is set up as a dutch auction so when the seller gets the ebay bill, the fees will be based on the $9000+

Just becuase she answered the question that way, doesn't change the fact that she is confused, the bidders are confused AND she will be VERY confused when Ebay bills her for 5% of $9000.

I imagine this will be relisted. I don't think the two high bidders realized they're bidding per tube either based on her answers to the questions.

Hi,

I've got a matched pair of slightly used solid gray plate

Tungsol 6550's I use with my Cary SLI-80. Wonderful tubes. I paid 300

dollars for them. I wonder how much better if any the Genlex KT-88's

are ? 10 times better ? I doubt it .... I doubt they

are " better " at all, just different. What some people pay for status

tubes just amazes me.

Larry

BTW, that's one advantage of ss, no tubes to buy ever. But tube rolling is fun, isn't it.

I have many interests; clocks and watches, old communications equipment, (telephones/intercoms) scientific instruments, bicycles of all types, etc. etc. etc....and to a lesser degee audio equipment.

I can say with no doubt that most any item sought after by anyone in the know will sell for FAR more than it is worth on Ebay.

I have seen item after item go for two, three, or even ten times it's value on Ebay to some moronski who got caught up in the excitement of bidding or who is just too dumb to know how much they overpaid.

My two centavos,

Please correct me if I am wrong but an expensive tube (and $1000 for a

tube is expensive!!!!!) can "blow up" just as easily as a cheap tube,

right? I sometimes put a brand new light bulb in a lamp and it "blows

up" as soon as I turn it on. When its' 50 cents it doesn't really

matter but $1000 really would matter! My understanding is a tube MAY

"blow up" on start up while it MAY last for 10+ years with no problem

at all. With the risk involved $1000 for a tube is too much money to

risk especially when you need more than one, which you always do

J.

Please correct me if I am wrong but an expensive tube (and $1000 for a tube is expensive!!!!!) can "blow up" just as easily as a cheap tube, right? I sometimes put a brand new light bulb in a lamp and it "blows up" as soon as I turn it on. When its' 50 cents it doesn't really matter but $1000 really would matter! My understanding is a tube MAY "blow up" on start up while it MAY last for 10+ years with no problem at all. With the risk involved $1000 for a tube is too much money to risk especially when you need more than one, which you always do

J.

You are most definitly wrong.... Your wallet is the driving force that dictates what is too much to spend on sound, much more so than your ears. That's my opinion anyway.

The Odds are high, that if your gear is blowing up tubeS (i.e. more than one occurence), then there is OBVIOUSLY something seriously wrong with your gear and/or tube supplier. If that is the case, considering your wallet or purse is loaded with cash, then buying high dollar or high quality tubes to put into your system is a waste.

You need to talk to Craig (aka, nosvalves), sounds like your system is in need of some of his magic.

Julie, pull your head out. Don't know where in the helll you got the $1000/tube quote from. Maybe you misunderstood the thread, like you apparently do your own tube system.

And you were the one that brought up the subject of a tubes systems (presumably yours) that mysteriously blows up tubes on a regular basis. Or at least that's what you insinuated. If not, then "YOUR UNDERSTANDING", as you put it, is dead wrong.

And just because someone spends more $$$ on a tube than you can afford, doesn't mean they have more money than sense. Maybe, just possibly, the reason could be that they just have a greater appreciation for quality sound or would just like to hear something differently. Open your mind baby.