Members Weekly Music Recommendatons-Oct. 10

thebes

This week... Rory Gallagher-"Lets Go To Work" 4 disc cd set consisting of "Irish Tour", "Meeting With The G-Man", "Live In Europe", and "Stage Struck", all live sets. BLISTERING blues rock, MAYBE like Johnny Winters if you must compare. MUCH, MUCH better IMHO.

Too bad the Lord took him from us so soon, been buying everything I can of his lately.

I'm usually a prog rock guy but I've been off it a while, really into Gallagher, Mountain, Derek trucks, Robin Trower as of late.

I'm just curious...

We all recommend new albums each week. But are these albums you guys and gals are all buying weekly, and then suggesting after-the-fact? Or is everyone just listing music that have long been in their collection?

Personally, I'm always suggesting albums I bought only days before posting.

I'm just curious... We all recommend new albums each week. But are these albums you guys and gals are all buying weekly, and then suggesting after-the-fact? Or is everyone just listing music that have long been in their collection? Personally, I'm always suggesting albums I bought only days before posting.

Both for me. I just bought the Rory Gallagher CD, but last week I recommended a LP I've had for 20 years.

It's been a while...

North American Hallowe'en Prevention Initiative-Do They Know It's Hallowe'en?(CD single-2005. Vice Recordings) Indie-rock SUPERGROUP featuring members of Arcade Fire, Wolf Parade, Rilo Kiley, Beck, Sonic Youth, David Cross, Roky Erickson?!, Postal Service, Malcolm McLaren, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah's among others. Cute Halloween theme song with each person singing different lines ala We Are The World. All proceeds go to Unicef.

The Decemberists-The Tain(CD EP-2005. Kill Rock Stars) Indie-rock. The Decemberists produced my favorite album of 2005 in Picaresque. Quite simply perfect. This is an 18 minute long epic of a song that was recorded between their last 2 albums. The Decemberists also blew people out of the water at the ACL fest a few weeks ago. The Tain is WAY more rocking than any of their albums which is fine with me. Check out Picaresque!

Julien Neto-Le Fumeur de Ciel(CD-2005. Type Recordings) VERY nice ambient/electronic stuff that I stumbled upon at the record store. A sticker on the cover caught my eye because it name-dropped several other people who I really dig. Very textured, slightly orchestral chill-out with a TINY bit of gltichy rhythms. Akin to Susumu Yokota, Max Richter, Steve Roach, etc.

David Sedaris-Live At Carnegie Hall(CD 2003-Time Warner AudioBooks) Live comedy reading from the master David Sedaris. Gut-busting stuff! I love Sedaris and can't wait to see him here in April. Witty observations on his disfunctional family are even funnier with David's delivery. The book Me Talk Pretty One Day is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

Bell Orchestre-Recording A Tape The Colour Of The Light(CD 2005-Rough Trade UK) Fine instrumental album featuring members of Arcade Fire. Very interesting instrumentation and never boring. Trombone, cello, glockenspiel, bells, synths, organ, violin, drums, tympani, french horn and about 50 other instruments are played here. Kinda pricey but worth the $23. Might appeal to fans of Japancakes, Arcade Fire, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Tortoise, Neutral Milk Hotel and other cool stuff like that.

I'm just curious... We all recommend new albums each week. But are these albums you guys and gals are all buying weekly, and then suggesting after-the-fact? Or is everyone just listing music that have long been in their collection? Personally, I'm always suggesting albums I bought only days before posting.

Nic--

Interesting question--

you must buy alot of music! You always have alot of CDs to recommend--do you buy that many each week, listen to them all and post them? I wish I had that much time! Here's a question--Do you ever not recommend a CD you bought recently?

I find I recommend whatever I'm listening to at the time. Sometimes a CD that I've had for years, or even old stuff I still like since high school -- I'm 46. But, I'm always thrilled to find current stuff that gets me --and that new stuff always gets posted.

When I was younger, I only thought the cool music was what was coming out right now---what was on the radio. But I've figured out that recorded music has been out there since 80 years ago, and that there has been exceptional music recorded ever since. So there's alot of discovery of good music in the past, too--not just the new releases.

A friend who loved Frank Sinatra once told me he liked things that were older than him--he had an older car, and alot of nice old things in his house. And I appreciate that thought--enjoying something that lasted longer than him because its so good.

I marvel at Robert Johnson and other artists who at one time were in their 20s and played their style of music with a 20 year old's energy--and left recordings that scream to the hills--

So much of the new stuff is retreads with better production, anyway-- I'm excited to find something new and original, which is not that often--

Thanks Nicoltl, please don't take offense, but just listing without any info or mini-review doesn't help me in a purchase decision.

As for myself, I'm usually just dusting off what I have, but the notes and stories told here help refresh my memory as to what music I enjoyed in the past, might have in the archives, so I pull it out and rediscover. I rarely buy any new music anymore. Could really use some tips on what's hip as I don't even recognize the name of the popular artists. Guess I'm becoming a dinosaur.

Michael

Hey , Another Quote For Nicholtl ! " I wonder what the record is " . My weekly recommendations have been mostly stuff I have found at the local library . Perhaps that Karma carried over into the form of consecutive wins of Marties Klipsch shirts 2 months in a row ! [:P] Youre welcome Wheelman ! If your still smarting from typing my user name , try a little Aloe and a BC Powder and you should be fine in no time . [H] This weeks selection is no different . Tom Adams and his wife Laura turned me on to the Allison Krauss and Union Station Live CD when they came up to Charleston last weekend to audition some power amps . I found this little jem at the local library a few days ago . You guys should utilize the resources at your local library if you aren't doing so allready . Anywho the CD has some great stuff on it . Great for demoing and listening to . Highly Recomended [Y][Y] PS - If I win another shirt , I will be keeping it ! [:P][:D]

LP: December 3, 1965

The Rubber Soul LP 33/RPM record was released in 1965.

You know I did not jump out and buy it back then. There was so much

radio play time with the Beatles I actually bought that LP a couple of

years after it was released. I really loved a lot of the songs as I

heard them on the Radio at the time and even liked them more when I got

them on LP.

Still in 1965 I do remember getting "Petula Clark" Downtown 45' and

later buying her LP. Was actually higher on my list at the time.

Greg

Rubber Soul - The Beatles

There a a few CD's that came out in the

mid-60's.....................................................................................

Hmmmmnnnn.... '60's, eh ....????

Saaay, Grog ...

what did people play them CD's .On .????........[:D]....[:D].....[:D]

I actually post a lot of new CD's I buy.

I also post a lot of things I have as I re-discover them myself.

Funny thing is I keep thinking I have put all my CD's I want on my

computer system and yet I keep finding other CD I have in storage that

I forgot about.

We dug one out last night and I had no idea what it was..... My wife loved that one..

Greg

Little late to the thread this week, but I have really been getting into this lately, especially The remix of "Broken" with Amy Lee from Evanescence. Most of it is your usual rock/hard rock with a few ballad type tunes. here's a link to audio clips if you wish to check it out...

http://www.seether.com/index800.html

This is the first release by Seether, they currently have a new disc out right now, but I have yet to give that a listen. I will include that maybe next week.