Heresy spec's

marcb515

They do but not by much, the older specs had them at 45Hz - 17Khz, the bass you do get it tight and accurate and certainly not boomy and sloppy. Heresy I's or II's with a decent subwoofer will leave the D5's in the dust for accuracy and detail. The Forte' is also a fabulous choise in used speakers and they are solid into the 30Hz region and have a similar top end to the Heresy II. If you want the best of worlds, bass and the horn loaded highs in a smaller but taller cabinet, then look into the Forte'. I owned a pair for 12 years and they were fantastic, I went from the CV D8's to the Polk RTA-12C and then the Forte' and that is were the search ended.

If you crave the bass of the D5's and have some room to play with go with Cornwalls instead, or just have your 12" woofers reconed by Cerwin Vega for about $60 each. I used to have a pair of D8's and I liked them very much but the reset button kept kicking in at high SPL's and that irritated me so I got rid of them.

Read a post or two here that indicates these are really great speakers. However, I notice the bass doesn't go as low as some others? I would think that with 12" woofers they would go below 50hz? Any reason?

Simple reason... Klipsch wanted to maximize efficiency and keep the enclosure small. Based on "Hoffman's Iron Law" which states that the efficiency of a woofer system is directly proportional to its cabinet volume and the cube of its cutoff frequency (the lowest frequency it can usefully reproduce), you end up with a high bass rolloff.

ROb

Travis---LOL. That was funny and clever.

Boilermakers call those big 9" air-grinders "Harleys". When I was an apprentice I spent many hours with them backgrinding code-welds on refinery pressure vessels. Those things can really eat-up the iron and are much faster and easier to use than big electric grinders. But bring ear-plugs.

reminds me of my early days drilling holes through truck frames for sanders and anything else youd mount on an old Brockway. They'd give me a half inch air drill stand back and laugh there a$$es of when it would bite and just about break my wrist. I was about twelve.

Yeah, ya gott'a watch those air tools, they'll get you. When milling boiler tubes we'd often set-up an "old man" to catch the rotation if the tool bit, otherwise those big millhogs could spin you in a circle and knock you in the hole.

I love this macho talk, especially as I'm retired now and don't actually have to do it. ;-)

"You can change the low end frequency response by changing the volume of the cabinet in a sealed design, at the price of efficiency."

Well if you're already giving up small size, you don't have to give up efficiency. Basically efficiency is set by the driver chosen, then F3 slides up and down with box size. Or you can go at it from the other direction, picking an F3 and box size and seeing what drivers might work.

But once the driver is chosen, as if modifying a Heresy, you're stuck with the driver and can only slide F3 up and down with box size. Unless you modify the woofer by adding mass which will also of course lower efficiency. And do God only knows what to the midrange response.