Cornwall vs. Forte...

chuckears

Has anyone had the chance to compare these two Klipsch classics? Owners of one or the other are near-fanatical in their devotion (I should know; I have owned and loved a pair of Fortes for 13 years).

I don't remember hearing the Cornwalls... the specs for the Fortes indicate a flatter response (plus or minus 3 dB, compared to 5 dB)that goes down to 32 Hz (as opposed to 38 for the Cornwalls), but they both have the same sensitivity rating...

I acknowledge that numbers are not everything, and recognize that the two probably have their own unique sound... I am just curious as to how the two compare.

The Cornwall and Forte are both excellent speakers. It's probably going to be a matter of taste, but the Cornwall was the "higher" model in the Klipsch line. For a given signal, the Forte might have a little bit more bass due to it's passive radiator. However, due to this passive radiator, the bass won't be as tight as the Cornwall. I prefer the Cornwall over the Forte. If you can live with the size of a Cornwall (it'll probably take twice the floor space as a Forte), I'd recommend the Cornwall. The Forte is still an excellent speaker though.

I've got both models next to each other at this moment. They're almost the same height, but the Cornwalls are deeper and much wider. Both awesome speakers. I have to sell one set, and I'm going to sell the Forte IIs, but frankly, if I could, I would keep them both. To me, the Cornwalls are a little tighter and a little more detailed, but they have different sounds, and I could also see someone preferring the Fortes. The Cornwalls are very cool looking too. Anyway, I'm cheating a little, because I'm also keeping my Choruses, which sound more like the Fortes, to make the pain of losing the Fortes a little less!

George, The pain never goes away. I sold a set of KG5.5's after buying a set of Cornwall's, and I still miss seeing and hearing the 5.5's. I still have a set of KLF30's that I crank up every once in a while to relieve my misery. You are right about the Cornwalls, they do look big and impressive. The sound lives up to the looks.

Thanks, Shapeshifter. I wish you were nearby too, I think you'd love these (and it would be fun to hang out and compare the different Klipshes). Flason, I have to sell my Fortes and KLF-30s to get a pair of RF-7s. It's gonna hurt for a long time! Thanks for the support, though, as I've really been dreading the sale, even though I listened to the RF-7s extensively, and really loved them. Wish I could keep them all.